Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 10:41 AM

2,522 posts, read 6,044,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Why do you persist in characterizing data and fact as "hype", yet you're perfectly willing to cherry pick only the worst gloom and doom news articles you can find and editorialize them as if they spoke the gospel?

In case you don't know, Realtors are, for the most part, hurting badly. You don't see announcements of layoffs, because they just evaporate and disappear. We're down about 2,000 agents in Austin from the peak a couple of years ago. There won't be a Statesman headline that you can cut and paste to CityData about that, and what you think it means for Austin's pending demise.

Those of us who have been around for a while ride through these downturns just fine, but it's not because we spread hype, it's because we know what we're doing and how to help people make smart decisions.

I promise you if I were possessed by a dark demon and wanted to spread as much misinformation and create as many ill informed people as possible, I'd simply send them here to read all of your posts.

Stop bashing Realtors. You might need one some day.

Steve
Nothing wrong at all with making some green from the area growth....my only point is that those who make money from that growth have a vested interest in maintaining it at all costs......Austin may not be able to handle 3.4% growth indefinitely...the job growth and metro infrastructure is already falling far behind.....if the growth vector continues while the infrastructure and job growth lags, that it will stop of its own accord.......

Its simply carrying capacity is all........and when the growth vector slows/stops, which it will, nothing ever staying the same indefinitely, those that made a living from the growth/hype will have great trouble doing the same.......and I can assure you they will look for greener pastures if other metros become hot places in Austin's stead.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 11:00 PM

38 posts, read 112,619 times
I'm not accusing any of the realtors on this board of over-hyping, but when the board of realtors calls a 22% drop in sales from a year ago as "improving," it's not inaccurate to label that hype or spin.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:45 AM

I'm not either.....I myself sold real estate full-time for a decade in another region years ago.......my only point is that Austin may not be able to maintain the same speed without falling in the toilet.....becoming just another overcrowded, stinky, polluted, road-rage filled, tacky big-box metro......and that it will be sold as unique and special long after the fact that it no longer is......

Old 04-21-2009, 12:06 PM

15,275 posts, read 35,712,399 times
Our business is starting to see an up-tic in work proposal requests .

Old 04-21-2009, 01:03 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,032,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
I'm not either.....I myself sold real estate full-time for a decade in another region years ago.......my only point is that Austin may not be able to maintain the same speed without falling in the toilet.....becoming just another overcrowded, stinky, polluted, road-rage filled, tacky big-box metro......and that it will be sold as unique and special long after the fact that it no longer is......
your assessment keeps getting more and more grim. Now your throwing in words like "toilet" and "stinky". Cut, You need to turn off the TV as it's getting to you. May I recommend you go camping somewhere like Big Bend, and don't take your iPhone. Come back a week later, and you will find the world is still here, and it's not so bad. I'm sure artsy would go with you.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
your assessment keeps getting more and more grim. Now your throwing in words like "toilet" and "stinky". Cut, You need to turn off the TV as it's getting to you. May I recommend you go camping somewhere like Big Bend, and don't take your iPhone. Come back a week later, and you will find the world is still here, and it's not so bad. I'm sure artsy would go with you.
Sounds good....

Old 04-22-2009, 07:11 AM

362 posts, read 1,046,158 times
We're actually looking for a home in the Austin area right now, and the rose colored glasses that these realtors would love you to wear is just off base. Housing prices in Austin cannot continue to be as strong due to the downturn in other parts of the country.

Here's some supporting data with regards to the Austin housing market.

How Low Will Real Estate Go? - Yahoo! Real Estate

Old 04-22-2009, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinSpartan View Post
We're actually looking for a home in the Austin area right now, and the rose colored glasses that these realtors would love you to wear is just off base. Housing prices in Austin cannot continue to be as strong due to the downturn in other parts of the country.

Here's some supporting data with regards to the Austin housing market.

How Low Will Real Estate Go? - Yahoo! Real Estate

I don't quite understand, these don't show "falling prices" but rises last year, with no data to back up the premis that prices will fall:

Top 5 Places With Fast-Falling Home Prices

1. Raleigh, N.C.
(Raleigh-Cary metro area)
2008 Population: 1,088,765
2007-2008 Change: 4.29%
2. Austin, Texas
(Austin-Round Rock metro area)
2008 Population: 1,652,602
2007-2008 Change: 3.77%
3. Charlotte, N.C.
(Charlotte-Gastonia-Concord, N.C.-S.C., metro area)
2008 Population: 1,701,799
2007-2008 Change: 3.36%
4. Phoenix, Ariz.
(Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale metro area)
2008 Population: 4,281,899
2007-2008 Change: 2.78%
5. Dallas, Texas
(Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington metro area)
2008 Population: 6,300,006
2007-2008 Change: 2.38%

Old 04-22-2009, 07:54 AM

this had to be a typo, because the slideshow link shows an entirely different set of cities that are projected to fall filled with the usual suspects: LA, Orlando, Miami, etc.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:57 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,146,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzyzx View Post
Wow, what an impressive and scary illustration of what has been happening. Yeah we are doing better then most areas, but how long can that continue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin