Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 12:01 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,440,617 times

Advertisements

Relocation.com: Texas showing steady in-migration despite recession - Austin Business Journal:

Welcome, welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 12:20 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,042,230 times
Great post....I've been saying all this for several months now...that Austin is IN a recession, and that the in-migration hasn't abated one bit yet, as people flee from hard-hit areas all over the nation.....

Ever hear of the expression that water finds its own level? If there is a bastion of solvency in a sea of problems, the water surges in the lower level, and all things even out......and that's what will happen, if Austin's population increases rapidly while the JOB GROWTH stagnates....from feb.2008 to feb.2009, Austin's metro gained 1,200 jobs, and gained about 54 thousand people.....one more year of that, and we will have a local unemployment rate roughly comparable to the rest of the nation, somewhere around 8.5-10%.....

Only question, now that we know, according to the article, that Austin should gain at least 55-60K more people this year, is will the job growth grow or stagnate or even shrink? Look to the commercial real estate market, always a leading harbinger of such things, for that answer.....Year-to-Year, commercial real estate in Austin has HALVED....yes, you heard that right.....a major new office building has no tenants now, as the builder claimed bankrupcy......national REITS have largely dissipated or shrunk as hedge funds have pulled out of the same, along with other large investors like pension funds(CALPERS).....

In English, if the relo population growth continues, with a likely anemic job growth in tandem, the local unemployment rate goes up 2-3 points.......
that would bring us about even with the national unemployment rate, or just a point or so under it.....not exactly the refuge from the recession some paint Texas and Austin to be............

Old 11-29-2009, 10:41 AM

1 posts, read 2,471 times
These figures are based ONLY on those persons drawing unemployment compensation. They do NOT include small businesses who do not have that luxury and who are quickly loosing everything because of the lack of work. There are MANY MORE that are dying out here because of the unemployment rate. People don't get it that this nation is in SERIOUS trouble!!! Someone, please be honest and tell the WHOLE truth.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:47 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,076,514 times
The same conclusion can be derived from the UHaul inbound/outbound pricing discrepancies between Austin and just about any other city in the county. UHaul trucks and trailers end up in Austin and not enough movers are leaving to get them out of here.

Thus it costs $1,258 to rent a Uhaul from Phoenix to Austin but only $654 to rent from Austin to Phoenix.

Try it with any city.
U-Haul: Rates and reservations

Steve

Old 11-30-2009, 11:51 AM

809 posts, read 1,863,889 times
Austin - the Last frontier

Old 12-01-2009, 06:47 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,996,866 times
People should not sugar coat. I agree with Eborosah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eborosah View Post
These figures are based ONLY on those persons drawing unemployment compensation. They do NOT include small businesses who do not have that luxury and who are quickly loosing everything because of the lack of work. There are MANY MORE that are dying out here because of the unemployment rate. People don't get it that this nation is in SERIOUS trouble!!! Someone, please be honest and tell the WHOLE truth.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:27 AM

Anyone know what the current UR is in Austin? This is an old post.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:17 AM

13 posts, read 28,454 times
With things picking up we are hoping our house and acreage sells soon.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:59 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,783,858 times
I dont know where they're at? The hotels seem pretty deserted, eerily deserted in fact. I'd say traffic where I'm staying at is down 50% from this time last year when I happened to stay here.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
I dont know where they're at? The hotels seem pretty deserted, eerily deserted in fact. I'd say traffic where I'm staying at is down 50% from this time last year when I happened to stay here.
Hotels where? In Austin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: