Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 07:38 PM

15 posts, read 97,494 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I was wondering if the teaching market in Austin is as bad as all the other industries elsewhere? I'm a high school FCS (Family & Consumer Science) teacher in New York, but I will be moving to Austin this summer. I'm starting to get worried that I won't be able to find a job in a "desirable" district like Round Rock, Leander, Eanes, even with a Master's degree and 3.5 yrs. teaching experience because I'm not a local. I also hear many locals who've been laid off are getting alternate certification to become teachers?

Anyone know what the job market is like for teachers for the 2009-2010 school year? Should I apply to less desirable districts like Del Valle? Btw, I emailed my resume to 2 principals who are hiring FCS teachers, and I applied on their website, but I haven't heard from them yet. Is this normal or is it because I'm from NY???

ANY ADVICE/THOUGHTS WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!!! Thanks! Have a great day Austinites, while us poor New Yorkers dig out of the foot of snow we got today!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 07:21 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,096,785 times
Lots of hiring does not happen until July! The TAKS testing starts this week, principals are busy with that, many do not even start thinking about hiring until the school year is over.

I am also hearing from both private and public schools that principals have never before received so many applications! Stacks and stacks of applications. So competition will be fierce.

Go ahead and apply at Del Valle, it has large numbers of hispanic students and poor students and highly mobile students, so tests scores are lower, but the facilities are pretty good and it is a safe district.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:35 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times
this is the way it usually happens--districts send out their re-hire contracts in the spring--this is for anyone who has not gotten into mega trouble during the year--people who have not gone on a "personal plan" to address any failed performance evaluations--and there are really so few of those when a teachers has gotten past the first year...there is about a 15 day window to sign and return--and 99.5% of the people sign and return usually within 2-3 dfays...
not returning is not technically a resignation...
BUT if teachers know they are retiring or they KNOW they are not coming back (maybe a spouse has already been transferred to another town/state and the teacher stayed home to finish out the year and for the kids to do the same)...SOME teachers will not sign for the next year--

but SOME teachers knowing that they can still turn in resignation by end of June at least and not get into hot water with the district (like a negative referral) WILL SIGN the contract to lock up their job spot and wait to turn in resignation in the summer...each district has something in their policies about the last date a person can resign w/o violating policy--the date has probably changed since the start of school has moved back into middle of August--so it is probably around the middle of July--30 days notice I think...

it is called covering all your bases--or a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush...
That is why there can be openings that pop up two weeks or two days before school actually starts...some people who have their admin certification find out they are getting asst principal spot and they will move up and someone has to fill their spot teaching...sometimes health reasons...sometimes the person actually does get married and move or follow the spouse...I know someone who did not return her contract because she was supposed to be married and move to another town--then they broke up--wedding called off---she had not resigned at that point--so they let her sign her contract for next year...

I know plenty of people who got called/contract during the first week of school because a teacher walked out or took a job with another district even after new year started...so there is always a chance and there are jobs that do open up in the 3-4 weeks after principals return from vacation before school starts--but those jobs are not usually posted on ISD web sites because they are usually filled within a couple of days...

that way personnel won't be looking for anyone--the principal has more control over who gets the job...and he knows that there will be funding for that teaching spot in the budget usually...

also has to do with budget...ISDs usually set their budget for the coming year in spring of ending one
principals like to hold off telling there may be someone leaving in case the district might consider just cutting that spot and spreading the load over the rest of the dept...
lots of politicking and budget issues around reported vacancies/hiring--some ISDs give their principals a budget and they have to get their salaries inside that amount--that is one reason new teachers stand a better shot in bad economy than teachers with MAs or experience--they fit the salary cap since the teachers that ARE returning are guaranteed to get that little bit of a raise based on another year's experience...

When I knew I was not going to return for another year of teaching--I told my principal verbally that I was retiring but did not do the actually resignation letter until the end of school in May---

this week is TAKS == most principals are too frazzled to do anything but show up and pray--

there are job fairs going on in March and April--most of them are cattle calls and most applicants don't get chance to get face to face interview...but you can certainly try them...
I know most districts want you to apply through human resources which probably means an on-line application that they can review w/o having any personal contact...they do not want you to send resumes to principals and jump the line so to speak but people do it--they go to the schools and try to get impromptu interview--
sometimes it works and sometimes it rebounds in your face...
the problem is that most ISDs are really incestuous--they hire people that have some contact within the district many, many times--friend, relative, student teacher, someone recommeded by a principal friend in another more-distant district where they used to work...
it is very networked--that is predominant reason why people from out of state have difficult time getting hired at "good" ISDs...

this year there are probably lot of teachers who were out raising kids who are coming back because their husbands might be out of work or having reduced pay due to economy and there are tons of teachers who did or want to do alt certs because they have given up on the corporate side--at least for now--
so yes--this year will be one of the toughest in the past decade at least...
people are going to be glad to have a job because it is certainly possible that is the legislature does not do a DECENT, FAIR. INTELLIGENT school funding/finance bill that some districts are really going to be in a budget hole and have to lay-off teachers/staff...

and teaching under these conditions is not going to be any fun either--more stress--less support--
they just need to know ahead of time--
only you know how badly you need a job--if you need one, you should apply to any district that you can commute to

Last edited by loves2read; 03-03-2009 at 08:48 AM..

Old 03-03-2009, 09:15 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,014,679 times
Just wait until the next round of a tax appraisals come in lower thus reducing school tax funding. Something's gonna give.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:18 AM

669 posts, read 1,612,265 times
Loves to read posts a great response. You might see a HUGE sticker shock on your pay though in Austin as a teacher. Allthough COL is cheaper, it's still hard to see your pay cut that much sometimes...

Old 03-03-2009, 11:29 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,544,472 times
loves2read=loves to type!!! Now, THAT'S a response!...and I mean that in only the most complimentary way!

Old 03-03-2009, 08:47 PM

15 posts, read 97,494 times
Thanks to everyone who responded, especially to loves2read! But, I feel like mexgirl, though...111 people viewed my post, but only 5 of you responded! Why?? PLEASE RESPOND!!! Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

Now, I guess the right time, right place, prayers, and a stellar resume will (hopefully) get me the teaching job of my dreams in Austin. Do you guys think it's HOPELESS though? It feels like looking for a needle in a haystack. Should I just sub if I don't hear anything by summer, just to get my "foot in the door"? I'm not afraid of competition, because I've blown most of them away in New York, but I am worried because I'm from out of town and I don't know anybody. What do you guys think??

Btw, loves2read, correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem like you enjoyed teaching too much. What was it that turned you off? What subject did you teach before you resigned? Did you teach in Austin or in Dallas? Thanks.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:45 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,096,785 times
You are highly unlikely to walk into a job in RRISD or Eanes. Take whatever you can get and then try to switch districts later.

Lots of people read but if they don't have specific knowledge, they won't post.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:40 PM

264 posts, read 1,001,001 times
My sister graduated from The University of Texas with a really high GPA and did her student teaching in the Eanes ISD and still couldn't land a job there. From what she has told me, the competition is fierce for the best schools in and around Austin and it's about who you know. Not to rain on your parade or anything, but I guarantee you that it's going to be a lot harder for someone from out of state to land a teaching job at a good school in Austin than it will be for a local, as it should be. The thing most people moving here don't realize is that locals and Texans usually have an advantage over transplants. I've worked at several large companies in town and I know this to be first hand knowledge. With the economy the way it is, I'm hearing that a lot of people are trying to go into teaching because of the job security and benefits. This is only going to make it that much more difficult for people moving here from out of state. I've said it a hundred times before and I'll say it again, DON'T MOVE HERE OR ANYWHERE ELSE WITHOUT A JOB FIRST!!!!

With that being said, I think your best route is to take ANY teaching position you can land and earn your way up. You're going to have to work that much harder than the next person but you'll end up where you want to be. Once you become established and can start networking within the school district, you'll have a much greater chance of transfering to a better school or school district. Good luck.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:26 AM

98 posts, read 295,199 times
I agree AustinTexan. I am in California and am planning on moving to Texas this summer. I have a lot of experience teaching, a wonderful resume, and letters of recommendation. However, I have never even thought that I would get into Eanes. My niece and nephew go to school there and my family is active in the schools, but I'm still just another California. I would expect the good jobs to go to good teachers there. I do not plan to walk in and take one of those jobs from a local. I am applying to a lot of districts and hope that I get a job at a decent school, one that focuses on teaching all children. I do not need it to be the highest test score school, that is for later when I've put in my time. I also will not move with out a job. I would not be ok with that at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin