Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 02:32 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,049,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Supposedly Austin *is* where the jobs are. BizJournals.com said recently that Austin's job market is the 2nd best in the country. And here's an article from the Statesman saying that Austin's job market is fine:

Region's job market is holding steady (http://www.statesman.com/business/content/business/stories/employment/04/18/0418texjobs.html - broken link)

Anecdotal evidence aside, Texas sure is doing better than California and Michigan.
Saying a region is "doing better than cal and mich" is like saying a city is less polluted than Beijing and Calcutta....in other words, not saying much......realistically, if an area just added 300 some jobs, and 54,000 new residents moved in during the same time frame, being 2nd best means zilch as well.....

Question.....if 50-60K new residents moved to the Austin metro, AND 300 jobs and change were created, where the heck did the new people work at? Are they all working on ebay or bartering goods?

I love throwing a cold dash of reality to this forum........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 02:34 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,081,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
I think the 346 was net loss.
You are absolutely correct. That's pretty good considering we left King County in WA early this year and it saw a net loss of over 20,000 jobs this past year. While King county probably has a greater population than Travis County, still, the difference is pretty substantial. When we were moving I posted something on the Seattle board about being glad that we were going somewhere with a stronger job market and some other posters questioned my assessment because they had friends down here that were having trouble finding work. Well, being that TX's unemployment is comparatively low and Travis had such a small net job loss, I can now confidently say, that we were moving somewhere with a more stable job market. I just love it when I'm right

Old 04-18-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
Saying a region is "doing better than cal and mich" is like saying a city is less polluted than Beijing and Calcutta....in other words, not saying much......realistically, if an area just added 300 some jobs, and 54,000 new residents moved in during the same time frame, being 2nd best means zilch as well.....

Question.....if 50-60K new residents moved to the Austin metro, AND 300 jobs and change were created, where the heck did the new people work at? Are they all working on ebay or bartering goods?

Did 54,000 new residents move here last year?

Old 04-18-2009, 02:44 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,049,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Did 54,000 new residents move here last year?
approximately 5K a month are moving to the Austin metro....on average....which is about 60K a year....about the same rate as Las Vegas when IT was booming..........

Indeed, Austin IS growing awful fast, no matter HOW you slice it, and when you grow that fast you need far more than 300 net jobs to keep the new folks gainfully employed.......

Technically, they say the Austin metro grows at 3.4% annually....considering the metro is approx. 1,652,000 right now, that DOES come out to about 60K a year..........

Per Austin's chamber of commerce....

http://www.austin-chamber.org/DoBusiness/GreaterAustinProfile/population.html (broken link)

Old 04-18-2009, 03:00 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,858,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post

I'm not sure why you think the statistics you are posting are more "real" than the statistics posted by others.

As this article reiterates, Austin is doing better than most other places.

Your comparison to Beijing and Calcutta is entertaining but if you are trying to find a job, moving somewhere with fewer job losses is better than moving somewhere with major job losses.

Old 04-18-2009, 03:39 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,551,190 times
Statistics are great but it isn't very comforting when you are that one person who cannot find a job. It depends on the field you are in. My very talented sister has been unemployed in Austin, for the first time in her life, since last August. She is in PR and Marcom and that is a field that is saturated in Austin. So it all depends on what field you work in. Seattle has shed a lot of jobs as Jennibc described but if you are tech, there are still plenty to be found out here. If you are in banking (WAMU) or manufacturing (Boeing) maybe not. We have high tech friends in Austin calling us to see if they can get in at Amazon and Microsoft out here because they have been laid off and can't find anything there. Sucks for anyone who is unemployed right now.

Old 04-18-2009, 04:42 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,714,840 times
I have friends in tech layed off in Jan still looking for work.

Old 04-18-2009, 05:10 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,261,625 times
Everyday I see out-of-state license plates, from all over. Yesterday I saw plates from Kansas, Oklahoma, Minnesota, Tennessee, and Virginia. Perhaps I should follow one of them and see what they're up to? Perhaps they know something we don't like where the jobs are? Just WTF are they lviing off of?

Old 04-18-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrigirl View Post
Statistics are great but it isn't very comforting when you are that one person who cannot find a job. It depends on the field you are in. My very talented sister has been unemployed in Austin, for the first time in her life, since last August. She is in PR and Marcom and that is a field that is saturated in Austin. So it all depends on what field you work in. Seattle has shed a lot of jobs as Jennibc described but if you are tech, there are still plenty to be found out here. If you are in banking (WAMU) or manufacturing (Boeing) maybe not. We have high tech friends in Austin calling us to see if they can get in at Amazon and Microsoft out here because they have been laid off and can't find anything there. Sucks for anyone who is unemployed right now.
That's interesting on the tech side because since we moved here in January, my husband has been contacted by three or four recruiters here (his Linked In profile now shows he is in Austin) so there are tech companies still hiring here. Of course, when you write tech maybe you are talking about nonengineers in the tech sector in Austin, that may make a difference. His company just laid off a couple of marketing people but continues to hire engineers.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
Everyday I see out-of-state license plates, from all over. Yesterday I saw plates from Kansas, Oklahoma, Minnesota, Tennessee, and Virginia. Perhaps I should follow one of them and see what they're up to? Perhaps they know something we don't like where the jobs are? Just WTF are they lviing off of?
Maybe these people are visiting from out of town. Lots of people take road trips, I don't think that seeing out of state plates necessarily means that those drivers are relocating here. In fact, I believe OKs unemployment might be lower than TX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin