Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 02:18 PM

447 posts, read 1,850,447 times

Advertisements

The debate/research continues on our end of where to move (currently in Avery Ranch) and I would love any input (Jen, give me more if you think of it!)

We were thinking of moving to SW Austin, but for a variety of reasons, are now thinking of staying up north. We are looking for 3 things - great schools (exemplary/recognized at both elementary and middle, high school if possible but that's tough to come by, I know), lower mortgage so that I can go to graduate school full time next year, and closer to the city. We have sort of given up on getting closer to the city because the other 2 are more important to us and we couldn't find an area that met all 3 criteria, but we won't move further away than we are now in Avery.

Right now we are wavering between Forest Creek and Cat Hollow/Villages of Brushy Creek. I am much more familiar with Cat Hollow, being right next door to Avery Ranch, but I am also interested in Forest Creek based on the schools and price range, and it would be easier for me to jump on 35 and get to UT, although that would be slightly worse for dh commuting to the Frost building.

Anyway, any input on these 2 neighborhoods, or some other neighborhood that somehow evaded us? (although I feel like I have covered everything in 3 months of compulsive searching, lol) We are looking for a 4 bed/2.5 bath, roughly 2000 sq ft is fine, older home is fine, for no more than 205-210k (ideally closer to 195k).

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2007, 02:30 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,067,892 times
How would you get into Austin/UT from Cat Hollow - toll roads? 183 to 35? I dont know any potential backroads, because I am not there often...

My mom has a friend who lives in Cat Hollow, I will ask her opinion on that. Insider, neighborhood stuff.

FYI - new redistricting talks going on in this area of RRISD. Will be a good thing, I think post-elementary school. If you are looking in the existing area of FC, and not the newly developed area (which is not really FC and a big legal thing is going on about it - dont move there) it won't effect your kids for elem ... check the rrisd website for more info...

Have to run... will get back to you on Cat Hollow. My only impression of it is that it seems far away. That's from driving by, going down Main Street/183, all the way, past the hospital, etc... I don't know of another way though, if there is one. It also seems really spread out in regard to shopping convenience. I know it's the "newer" West Round Rock that people are loving though...

Old 03-23-2007, 02:30 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,657,499 times
Balcones woods might also have what you are looking for - schools:
Elementary: Davis or Summit
Jr. High: Murchison
High School: Austin (or Lanier - bleah!)

I believe that there are some houses that might be that size and go for that price range, but I don't know for sure.

Edit:
Just did a quick search on Cordova, and it looks like 210k will only get you about 1700-1800 sq ft or so.

Mesa Park will have some in that size and price range, but are older and will need a little more work.

Old 03-23-2007, 02:36 PM

Jen, see, it's all perspective. Right now to us, Forest Creek seems really far out because we are used to living here (right next to Cat Hollow). We use the 45 toll road to Mopac to go downtown, although I will usually jet over from Mopac to 35 via 183south and come in to campus on Dean Keeton. I usually shop over in the Lakeline mall area (you can usually find me in that lovely Supertarget at least once a week). Is there a Supertarget over by Forest Creek? What about YMCA or gym options?

Trainwreck - we considered the Balcones area but we wanted the Round Rock schools. We drove around the Barrington Oaks/Anderson Mills area a lot and looked, but dh really didn't like the houses/neighborhood (that fed into Westwood HS).

Old 03-23-2007, 03:01 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,282,161 times
tracey,

would the only reason to move to Cat Hollow be to lower your mortgage? Just trying to figure out why it's in your pool of options considering you don't gain anything in commute time vs. Avery?

I was just going to suggest Anderson Mill and then saw your last post There is a small subdivision west of 183 and south of 620 called the Cottages at Lake Creek...some are in your price range I believe. They're all new. It's off Caldwell west of 183: www.ashcreekinc.com

Also, the Milwood subdivision east of 183, south of what would be Anderson Mill to the east and north of McNeil Drive...I saw some houses in there in your price range. RRISD also. You've probably looked at all of it, but throwing it out there just to be safe.

Old 03-23-2007, 03:21 PM

Hey Gigi! I went to check out the Cottages at Lake Creek (I didn't know about them) but they only go up to 3 bedrooms? We have 3 kids, so we're hoping to settle in a 4 bed so we can stay there and have enough room as they get older.

I did look into Milwood, but I'm not as crazy about the elementary/middle schools there as in Cat Hollow. It's both the cut in mortgage and schools for our move - we have heard nothing but rave reviews about Great Oaks elementary and the Cedar Valley middle school in Cat Hollow.

Old 03-23-2007, 05:48 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,282,161 times
Oh, sorry Tracey...I thought I saw some with 4BR but I just rechecked and I was looking at the wrong column on their price list. SORRY!!!!

Old 03-23-2007, 05:50 PM

Hey, no worries, I appreciate you trying to help me!

Old 03-23-2007, 09:29 PM

I agree, all about perspective, and where you need to go... but, we have doctors downtown, off of Mopac, etc - so I have to travel those routes often, and it's so quick to hop on 35, or the toll roads, and even mopac - that I just really feel like it's extremely convenient. We have been visiting this area for years though, so I am sure familiarity and comfort level have a lot to do with it...

Quote:
I usually shop over in the Lakeline mall area (you can usually find me in that lovely Supertarget at least once a week). Is there a Supertarget over by Forest Creek? What about YMCA or gym options
Yeah, and see - I don't personally do a lot of mall store shopping... so I have only been out to lakeline a handful of times. However, you can get there in 10 mins on the toll roads... it's a direct shot.

Do you use the supertarget for groceries? We don't have a supertarget, just a normal target (I go there all the time) ... but I have never had a supertarget where I have lived, so I can't get used to going there for food. We do all our grocery shopping at HEBplus, off of 79 - but they are planning on building one soon, off of Gattis school, right near FC.

We do, of course, have a Walmart near by... and the closest supertarget is about 10 mins down the 35 frontage, near... Toys R Us, Best Buy, Bed Bath and Beyond, Home Depot... what area is that?? I think it's Parmer, or something...

Plus you are close to Hutto - and there are a lot of new shopping areas going in there...

Old 03-23-2007, 09:30 PM

Oh, and yes - we belong to the Round Rock YMCA - it's off of 79. It's nice, I hear the Cedar Park one is better...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin