Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 10:54 AM

7 posts, read 22,906 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

Just curious if y'all have any opinions on Canyon Creek (in NW Austin) and the Ranch at Brushy Creek (in Cedar Park). They both seem like great family friendly neighborhoods with amentities and lots of trees--Canyon Creek being older and the Ranch at Brushy Creek being newer. I would love to hear the pros/cons and comparisons between the neighborhoods.

Thanks in advance!
Stephanie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 11:29 AM

433 posts, read 1,657,626 times
When we were buying in 2007, we narrowed our search to two houses: one in Canyon Creek and the other in Cat Hollow (next door to Ranch @ Brushy Creek).

The Canyon Creek house ended up having another buyer interested and we didn't want to get into a bidding war.

Both areas are great, but in hindsight, we ended up in the better location for us. Much more road access here and the neighborhood is outstanding. Parks and pools a plenty and the Brushy Creek Recreation Center is right around the corner from us. The public schools here rival many private schools from back in NJ, which is where we moved from. There are also more retail stores being developed along 620 between Toll 45 and I35, which makes everything even more convenient here in Cat Hollow.

Last edited by pbnj07; 03-19-2009 at 11:44 AM..

Old 03-21-2009, 07:44 PM

477 posts, read 1,580,955 times
Canyon Creek is a great neighborhood that is often overlooked by buyers. It's got great schools, Trailhead park, larger homes & lots, mature trees, and some hill country views. Canyon Creek is a bit more upscale in my opinion and more established. Many people look there because it feeds into Westwood High School. The Ranch at Brushy Creek already has a few foreclosures/short sales in the neighborhood, whereas in the last 6 months, the average days on market of the homes that sold in Canyon Creek was only 62 days. If you buy in Brushy Creek, make sure you don't have to sell for a while. The resales will suffer as they continue to build in the neighborhood.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:08 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,123,590 times
We just moved into the Ranch at Brushy creek and have been very happy. I think foreclosures are everywhere currently. I wouldn't want to have to sell anywhere at this point in time.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:29 PM

273 posts, read 342,758 times
fwiw: we moved to area 18 years ago. Looked at canyon creek, ended up buying in Cat Hollow. We currently live in NW austin, not too far from canyon creek. Canyon creek is the better choice as far as location goes (better schools, NW austin).

Old 03-21-2009, 09:30 PM

29 posts, read 152,320 times
CATXTransplant has a great point about whether or not the community you're considering still has active building in it or around it. And I agree Canyon Creek is a nice neighborhood. But I would have a hard time dealing with RR 620 as the only access point both in and out of the neighborhood. OTOH I've only been in RBC once. It definitely has better road access, lots of nice trees, etc. I would tend to shy away from relatively new subdivisions though.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:43 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,053,649 times
The Ranch at Brushy Creek holds good future promise, but I too am very cautious about buying into a new subdivision unless you have rock solid plans to stay at least 5 to 10 years.

I just went on a listing appointment on a 4 year old home this afternoon in Avery Ranch. Guess what?...I had to tell the seller it won't sell for any more than she paid 4 years ago. She's now going to become an "involountary landlord" because she can't afford to sell. That's when the reality of buying too big of a home in too new of a neighborhood hits home.

Canyon Creek is a good choice and I also don't like being stuck out on 620, but it's a mature neighborhood and is solid. You'll have to be more forgiving on condition because a lot of those homes are at remodel/rehab age. Perfectly livable, but tired and worn if they haven't been updated, and some older 1980s style floorplans. You'll have an ugly inspection report even on a relatively well kept 15-20 year old home. Some buyers can't handle that and freak out over all the inspection items, most of which really aren't that important, but look scary in writing. Not a problem if you head into the process knowing what to expect.

Steve

Old 03-22-2009, 01:57 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,780,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rridgeback View Post
CATXTransplant has a great point about whether or not the community you're considering still has active building in it or around it. And I agree Canyon Creek is a nice neighborhood. But I would have a hard time dealing with RR 620 as the only access point both in and out of the neighborhood. OTOH I've only been in RBC once. It definitely has better road access, lots of nice trees, etc. I would tend to shy away from relatively new subdivisions though.
I disagree with the fact that 620 is the only access point is considered a bad thing.

No "short cut" drivers cutting thru....& many neighborhoods have only one "access road", including Steiner & virtually every neighborhood near Lake Travis.

& imo there's 4 times as many people moving into Canyon Creek for the Elementary School as there are for Westwood HS....although both are Austin's highest ranked.

Old 03-22-2009, 02:25 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,548,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
I just went on a listing appointment on a 4 year old home this afternoon in Avery Ranch. Guess what?...I had to tell the seller it won't sell for any more than she paid 4 years ago. She's now going to become an "involountary landlord" because she can't afford to sell. That's when the reality of buying too big of a home in too new of a neighborhood hits home.

Steve
Call me silly but unless a place completely sells out or you have mineral rights that were unexplored, why would she even have an idea that she could make a profit? House gets older, more maintenance, 'dated' layout and finishes= more money? Think those days are behind us--unless you get the last place on the lake, etc.

Just think of me as a noob but is there ANY neighborhood currently selling for significantly more than it did 4 years ago-house for house? Gotta think those days really are behind us...for many years to come. Maybe four years from now...if someones buys currently at a serious 'discount', there will be some increase in value...IF things settle down by then.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:25 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,780,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Call me silly but unless a place completely sells out or you have mineral rights that were unexplored, why would she even have an idea that she could make a profit? House gets older, more maintenance, 'dated' layout and finishes= more money? Think those days are behind us--unless you get the last place on the lake, etc.

Just think of me as a noob but is there ANY neighborhood currently selling for significantly more than it did 4 years ago-house for house? Gotta think those days really are behind us...for many years to come. Maybe four years from now...if someones buys currently at a serious 'discount', there will be some increase in value...IF things settle down by then.
I agree with Steve's opinion that buying a home in a "new neighborhood" with new homes competing (& adjacent new neighborhoods competing) will see far less appreciation (or more depreciation if the economy tanks) than established neighborhoods (particularly established neighborhoods in a "good" location or with superior schools).

And there are dozens of neighborhoods that are bounded by Mopac (on the east) / 183 (on the northeast) / 620 (on the northwest, west & southwest) that have seen significant increases in value over the last 4 years. Most are "built out" & have a perceived good location AND superior Schools:

Texas School Performance Maps

(look at the schools in the area bounded by these highways)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin