Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 08:50 PM

44 posts, read 190,578 times

Advertisements

I'm a 22 year old nurse living in Chicago. I've been looking to move to Texas for a while now for the horse culture. I know that there are some areas around Austin that are horse-friendly. I'm curious to see what other horse people think as well as people in the area. The top of my budget would probably be $190,000 although I'd prefer to stay under $180,000. I already have my own home up in a Chicago suburb so I know how to handle a mortgage. I would like a modest 3 bed/2.5 bath home with perhaps 5+ acres if possible for the horseback riding unless the home backed up to a forest preserve. I also would love to be around other people that enjoy horseback riding in order to form some friendships and feel connected. Chicagoans aren't always the most friendly when you ride horses with western saddles and are interested in barrel racing! Schools really aren't that important as I will be home schooling once I have children. Can anybody tell me in which areas this would be possible? Also, I heard that property tax is high in TX....is this true?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 09:04 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,387,627 times
You might want to look in the Elgin area or, if you're willing to drive a bit, in the Dale area. Perhaps down near Lockhart. There are other areas - those are just the ones that popped up when I put your rough parameters in the MLS just now. Up around Jarrell/Georgetown area, too, might work.

Pretty much anywhere in the small communities around Austin will have horsey folk. Some areas are better for horses than others, due to the soil type.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:26 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,622,212 times
Property tax is high, but if you are looking rural you can probably keep it ~2%. Take out your homestead exemption and you are looking at, lets say (190,000 - 15,000) x 0.02 = ~$3500/year, or $300/month.

Like THL says, there are several good areas, Georgetown is the first one that comes to my mind for a balance of quality of living and cost, and there is a large hospital there and Round Rock is not a bad commute, if you had to work there. Are you planning to work in Austin proper, though?

Btw, there is very little public land available for riding, most green-belt and public land is off-limits to trail riding. There are a variety of riding clubs that do have pretty extensive access to private land and know the public land.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:26 AM

I don't need to work 'in' Austin. I'd like to find a suburb/rural area in the Austin area that has a smaller hospital or something within a decent distance. It's a bummer to hear that there's not a lot of public land for horseback riding. Do you think I should be looking somewhere else in TX? Or perhaps look into a nearby state? I know there are some horse areas in states east of TX but I need to have lots of sunny days. I refuse to move to an area where it's overcast weeks on end.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:27 AM

You basically have to join a riding club, or at least that is what most of the riders I know do. There are huge tracts of private land that many people will allow you to ride on, but they just want to know who is out there and make sure that they are responsible. There are quite a few horse owners out here, so I know it must be doable . And there are quite a few parks that do allow trail riding, but you will have to trailer a bit to get to them.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:44 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,687,302 times
I just discovered that there is a stable near Old Settlers Park in Round Rock and you can ride in certain areas of the park. There's definitely no shortage of horse owners around here. I also knew a lot of horse riders in Houston...Friendswood and Pearland were two towns with lots of horse properties, stables and riders. There are also a few polo clubs in Houston. Lots of riding clubs around Austin. Elgin/Bastrop and Lexington would be good places to look. I took a day trip one day and had to drive through Lexington. I saw more horses than I could count, and lots of ranches and breeders. Beautiful countryside too. You could also look around Tyler, Lindale, Mineola, etc...(somewhat East of Dallas).

Old 01-06-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Btw, there is very little public land available for riding, most green-belt and public land is off-limits to trail riding. There are a variety of riding clubs that do have pretty extensive access to private land and know the public land.
McKinney Roughs is available for public trail riding. Pedernales Falls had an equestrian trail last I heard. Perry Haynes Ranch is a short drive and a great place to trail ride. Lake Somerville has equestrian camping and trails. There were trails at Bastrop State Park, too. There's more, those are just real quick off the top of my head.

Then, of course, there's the week-long trail ride from San Antonio to Austin for the rodeo every year.

TETRA (Texas Equestrian Trail Riders Association) has trail rides on a fairly regular basis and is a good resource for finding trail rides.

You're not going to have any problem finding a place to ride or people to ride with. I don't know what Trainwreck20 was going on about!

Old 01-07-2009, 06:56 AM

Quote:
I don't know what Trainwreck20 was going on about!
Not really 'going on' about it . Just that most of the public land in Texas is not available for public horseback riding, especially compared to places like Colorado and Montana that have large open tracts that are available.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:26 AM

Hill Country State Natural Area is down in Bandera. 5,000+ acres that was set aside specifically for horseback riding (though you can do other things there, the gentleman who left it for the Natural Area specified that horseback riding and trails would ALWAYS be there).

Did you know that riders have the right of way on public roads? This IS Texas, after all! (I'll have to go look up the statute when I get back - off to show some horse properties again this afternoon!)

Old 01-08-2009, 07:41 PM

One of my family members told me that the Elgin area has a high crime rate...is there any truth to this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin