Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 09:16 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,463,330 times

Advertisements

FWIW, don't know if you've considered this, but there are several houses on the market in Crestview for $300,000 or less that are larger than you have now. You could even get a duplex that is described as an easy convert to a single family home, which would give you 4 bedrooms and two kitchens!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 12:14 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,190,670 times
I lived through a major renovation and it was pure hell. I can't imagine suffering that with 2 toddlers.

Another thing to consider while doing renovation work is protecting your kids from the lead dust. One of my neighbors moved into a newly renovated place craftsman bungalow from 1940 but it hadn't been cleaned properly and dust with lead particles blew all over the house. Her daughter tested high for lead exposure after they'd been there a few months.

Have you thought about renting your current place and buying elsewhere? That way if you change your mind you can always go back. And maybe you could make some money to fix up the place before you move back in.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:46 PM

28 posts, read 125,207 times
Those are both great suggestions - thanks! Now we have more to think about...

Old 04-17-2008, 02:28 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,337,778 times
I really don't want to second guess your decision, but we have 3 kids (high school, middle school, elementary school) in a 2800 SF 1960s house. We made a conscious choice to stay central....and that choice involved cutting WAY back on the 'stuff' that you accumulate. We're much happier...

Old 04-17-2008, 02:33 PM

675 posts, read 1,907,183 times
Yeah but I think they said they have 900 square feet? That is VERY small for a family, especially if they have another child. Often in Austin I think people beat up on others for wanting to get more square footage. But they're not saying they want 3500 square feet or something.

Old 04-17-2008, 04:20 PM

28 posts, read 125,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
Yeah but I think they said they have 900 square feet? That is VERY small for a family, especially if they have another child. Often in Austin I think people beat up on others for wanting to get more square footage. But they're not saying they want 3500 square feet or something.
Thanks for understanding... I am thinking we'd be happy around 1700 -2000 sqft (and a second bathroom!) I don't really want to have to heat and cool (and clean) a huge house!

Old 04-17-2008, 08:25 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,151,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cviewmom View Post
Hi - new here, I've been searching and finding lots of good info. I know no one can really answer my question for me, just looking for input and considerations I may have missed...

We currently live in a tiny house (2/1) in Crestview. We love the neighborhood, our neighbors, the parks, the location. But we now have toddler twins. Our tiny house is feeling way too small.

We are torn between moving farther out (probably SW) or adding on. DH works downtown (6th) and I am a SAHM. He doesn't want a long commute. I want to be near parks and trees (and good schools, main concern being safety, not test scores). Our budget is $300K.

He likes Travis Country (the older section). I like the greenbelt and the topography, but wonder about the schools (I just don't know much about them) and if there are many families with young kids. I also wonder if it makes sense to get an older, smallish house (since that is our current problem, although TC is bigger and newer than our house!)

The other thought is Circle C/Legend Oaks area. It seems nice, my only worry is transitioning from our laid back no HOA neighborhood. I may be way off - just my impression. (I don't mean to offend anyone, it just has a different feel than my currrent area) Neither of us has ever lived in South Austin.

Am I missing any areas that fit the bill? Should we just stay put and add on? Any suggestions? Thanks!

I would add on. $/sq ft in your area will go up quickly to 250+ in the next decade easily. Building cost will be about 100/sq ft. You will basically make 150/sq ft in profit. At 900 sq ft the construction cost is probably under 90K for that part of your house. If you want to get rid of your house Austin House Movers | Texas Commercial Demolition may take your house for free.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:44 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,337,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cviewmom View Post
Thanks for understanding... I am thinking we'd be happy around 1700 -2000 sqft (and a second bathroom!) I don't really want to have to heat and cool (and clean) a huge house!
No, totally understandable. I'm not trying to put you down or anything, just giving you my viewpoint. Good luck!

Old 04-17-2008, 09:01 PM

10 posts, read 107,216 times
Smile We love Travis Country!

My family (2 young children) and I live in the older section of Travis Country and don't ever want to move from this neighborhood. There are tons of kids here (250 on the Travis Country swim team, just to give you an idea) and so many family activities from Easter Egg Hunt to Father's Day Ice Cream Socials, Halloween party, etc...we have 2 playgrounds and 2 pools which is the best way to meet other moms. It is so family friendly and we just love it. My daughter goes to Oak Hill Elem. and we have been very pleased. You should go visit the school and see it for yourself!
Good luck--I know it's a tough decision, but if you decide to move I really don't think you can go wrong with TC.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:16 PM

389 posts, read 1,632,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin78735 View Post
My family (2 young children) and I live in the older section of Travis Country and don't ever want to move from this neighborhood. There are tons of kids here (250 on the Travis Country swim team, just to give you an idea) and so many family activities from Easter Egg Hunt to Father's Day Ice Cream Socials, Halloween party, etc...we have 2 playgrounds and 2 pools which is the best way to meet other moms. It is so family friendly and we just love it. My daughter goes to Oak Hill Elem. and we have been very pleased. You should go visit the school and see it for yourself!
Good luck--I know it's a tough decision, but if you decide to move I really don't think you can go wrong with TC.

I often wonder, when I read people clambering for neighborhoods with "tons of kids", if they contemplate what this means once said neighborhood kids average about 16+ years in age.

In my experience, this makes for tremendous opportunities for crimes that seem to correlate quite predictably with the teenage years. Not necessarily a bad thing but I never hear that side of the coin discussed.

Personally, give me a neighborhood full of geriatrics and let my kids be social enough to make friends (and do drugs, steal, vandalize, and have sex) with the kids in the next neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin