Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2008, 09:27 PM

264 posts, read 701,746 times

Advertisements

We're thinking of buying a home in Crestview and were curious about the safety of the neighborhood. We found something in Wooten Park, but heard some bad things about that area. We're looking around Richcreek/Yates area. My main thing is I could walk to the Top Notch....but that's another store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 09:36 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,387,627 times
I have friends who've lived in Crestview for a couple of decades now and they've never had any problems or reported any from their numerous friends (neighbors) who live there.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:55 PM

72 posts, read 198,320 times
I own a rent house in Crestview (Grover+St John) and lived there for a while... generally a very safe neighborhood. Some speeders along Woodrow and on busy boundary streets (Burnet, Lamar) but overall I haven't ever had any issues.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:32 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,014,679 times
My wife lived in Crestview for around 10 years. No problems whatsoever.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:12 PM

34 posts, read 155,888 times
We've lived here for the past 10+ years. It has been an area undergoing change. Yes, there were problems in parts of the area in the past, but probably no different than most any urban neighborhood. But the past couple years have been great and I'm not aware of any problems at all. It is a great area to live where everything is so close. It is truly a walkable neighborhood with just about anything anyone needs within an easy walk or bicycle ride. We dumped our 2nd vehicle about 7 yr. ago because we found we didn't need it living here.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:54 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,050,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverchris View Post
We're thinking of buying a home in Crestview and were curious about the safety of the neighborhood. We found something in Wooten Park, but heard some bad things about that area. We're looking around Richcreek/Yates area. My main thing is I could walk to the Top Notch....but that's another store.
It won't be any better or worse than any other close-in neighborhood of older homes. There is always going to be a higher rate of theft, break-ins, etc. than you'll find in suburban areas like Circle C, but that comes with the territory if you want to live in such a neighborhood.

Quote:
but heard some bad things about that area.
Heard from whom? What did they say? How much weight do you give the source?

Wooten Park is an excellent up and coming neighborhood. Great location, mature trees, smaller homes but all homes in WP have 3 bedrooms. It is however in proximity to some cheaper apartments and low end rentals, so, like I said, that's what you get when you choose an areas that's going through a revitalization/change.

Steve

Old 03-31-2008, 07:42 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,387,627 times
Gee, Steve, you sound like you don't like the closer-in neighborhoods (or older homes)! I, personally, live in the country, but wouldn't mind living in a closer-in neighborhood (though I'd have trouble living that close to other people again - I've gotten used to having my neighbors so far away that it doesn't matter what I wear when I run out to the car to get something).

All close-in neighborhoods aren't the same, by the way - Barton Hills is not Crestview is not SOCO, for example - all close-in neighborhoods of older homes, but very different at the same time. And all suburban neighborhoods aren't crime-free.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:50 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,050,807 times
Quote:
Gee, Steve, you sound like you don't like the closer-in neighborhoods (or older homes)!
Not sure how you got that impression. I LOVE older homes and close in neighborhoods.

I also know that if I live in Hyde Park or Travis Heights or Barton Hills or Crestview, I'm more likely to have my car or home broken into than I am out where I live in Oak Hill. This is simply "data" that is available from the Austin Police crime stats, it's not my opinion.

That said, it would be of little or no concern to me when I deceide to move back to Central Austin some day (when we're empy-nesters). In other words, it's not something that I would even think about or worry about, personally, but others may. I notice that people who relocate from other parts of the country, especially high crime metros, seem to have a higher level of crime awareness than the locals.

I was just answering the question.

Steve

Old 03-31-2008, 09:31 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,398,086 times
Funny but the only time our car was broken into was when we lived in Oak Hill. I'm in Allandale now across from Crestview but both have very active neighborhood associations and listserves to keep one abreast of any suspicious activity to look out for. It seems to be Rosedale that has had the most trouble lately.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:07 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,185,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
In other words, it's not something that I would even think about or worry about, personally, but others may. I notice that people who relocate from other parts of the country, especially high crime metros, seem to have a higher level of crime awareness than the locals.
That would be me! I'm tired of being an urban pioneer and I don't want to end up in the same situation that I have here in downtown Atlanta. We do worry about the crime -- but I think any part of Austin is safer than our current 'hood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: