Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 08:22 PM

12 posts, read 62,521 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I'm currently shopping for a home in Crestview/Brentwood.

One question I have is, do most people live in these homes with the original wiring? Or are most homes rewired to better support modern appliances, electronics, etc.?

If original, I'm curious about safety. Should I have an electrical inspection conducted separately from the home inspection when I find a house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 08:32 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
If it looks like the electrical needs to be looked at by an electrician, your regular inspector will note that on your inspection report.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:16 PM

Thanks. But, do you know if most homes are rewired? Or mostly original?

Old 06-03-2010, 10:21 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,374,893 times
There's a difference--a BIG difference--between "rewiring" a house and upgrading the electrical service.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:26 PM

Thanks for the reply gpurcell. Just generally, what is the difference? I don't know anything.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:29 AM

2,089 posts, read 3,904,323 times
Most houses in Crestview/Brentwood have origional wiring, BUT, the type of wiring will differ from house to house, as houses were built from the late 1920's through the 1950's - this also applies to paint (may contain lead), plumbing, foundation, and the state of the wood used in the origional construction.

You should not need to rewire unless you remodel, then the part of the house that's being remodeled will need to be "brought up to code". If you are not remodeling, you can replace wiring in say, just the kitchen - you will need an electrician to do it, but you probably won't need a permit.

BUT, houses in certain areas of "older Austin" have specific code restrictions - have an electrician come out to your house and give you a idea of what you have.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:56 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
I lived in a house similar to the ones in Brentwood/Crestview but in south austin, built in 1950 and it wasn't even grounded!

"Rewiring" implies opening up the walls and replacing the wire, can get very expensive but upgrade outlets, putting GCI outlets in the kitchen and bath are pretty simple. Adding additional outlets can be a simple thing too.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:26 PM

653 posts, read 1,793,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
I lived in a house similar to the ones in Brentwood/Crestview but in south austin, built in 1950 and it wasn't even grounded!

"Rewiring" implies opening up the walls and replacing the wire, can get very expensive but upgrade outlets, putting GCI outlets in the kitchen and bath are pretty simple. Adding additional outlets can be a simple thing too.

I looked at a house in Wells Branch that had electrical issues, some related to grounding.
(I almost bought the house, but backed out due to the inspection resulsts)

My friend (who is a mechanical engineer, not electrical engineer) read the inspection report, and told me that it is possible that the home is not properly grounded, and that this would be expensive to fix.

Some things it Specifically mentioned:
Cannot locate the service ground termination.
Ground wires not properly bonded to the panel box exterior main panel.
Some outlets were reported as having reversed polarity.
One outlet was reported as not being grounded.

The house was built in 1984, which is not that old.

Is it likely that someone tried to modify the wiring at some point, leading to these issues, or that these issues were part of the original construction?

Old 06-04-2010, 03:01 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Our house that we bought in 1996 had several of those issues (half the outlets in the place had reverse polarity, for example, and several were not grounded). We simply made it a requirement that the seller credit us for correcting the problems and, since we weren't planning on moving into the house immediately upon closing but a week later, had the electrician do the work while we were there but the house was completely empty, making it easier to get to stuff. Took about a day, and at that time, cost the sellers approximately $1300 to have done (would, of course, be more than that now). In our case, someone who owned the house before the sellers but after the original owners (the house was moved out here in 1970) did a lot of their own work in a lot of areas, and every time we have a professional do some work for the first time there's a lot of head shaking going on. I'd guess (and it is strictly a guess) that someone did some modifications after your house was built.

One reason I recommend one of the inspectors I use is that he explains these kinds of things in detail to the buyer so that they know which ones are serious (safety or expensive to fix) issues and which ones are a $5.00 fix from Home Depot and which ones are simply mentioned because the code has changed in the last 20, 10, 5 years (or last week), but anything not to code must be mentioned in the inspection report even if it's perfectly fine.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:15 PM

I've walked around a few houses while looking. Some of the rooms have 1 outlet with 3 prongs, and the rest are just 2 prongs. Are the 2 prong outlets not grounded?

And...are non grounded outlets a major issue? What is the risk?

Thanks for the help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: