Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 05:19 PM

57 posts, read 292,652 times

Advertisements

What's with the grocery store situation here? It seems like you on have HEB's here, with the occasional Randall's around Austin. I live in Georgetown, and it's ridiculous, the grocery store situation here, with our only options within 20 minutes being a trashed HEB at 29 and I-35, dealing with Walmart people, or driving to the HEB on Williams which is constantly packed. Why are there not a LOT more grocery stores here? We have actually driven 40 minutes (each way) to either the Randall's in Cedar Park, or Whole Foods at the Arboretum, just for quality groceries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 06:05 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,606,338 times
There's not a whole lot of Grocery chains here in central Texas. I think you named them with HEB, Randall's and the old Albertson's as the staples in any town.

Some towns, like Hutto, don't even have a single grocery store so I guess you are lucky to have 3 up there in Georgetown.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:20 PM

384 posts, read 1,583,112 times
That was one of the most surprising things to me about San Marcos.
I saw a couple HEBs, and that was it for regular grocery stores (not counting stuff like Wal-Mart).

I'd have expected about 6 or 8 grocery stores for a city of 50,000 people.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:22 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,661,105 times
You should try the HEB plus off 2243 in Leander only takes my friends about 15mins to drive from GT to there for food.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:21 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,720,846 times
HappyTexan is sooo right. I could get every resident here to tell you how annoying it is to have no store here. Every town around us has at least 1 or more than one...Brats!!!

Old 12-11-2007, 07:32 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,284,816 times
I hear ya. We lived WAY farther out of town in Phoenix than we do in Austin, and I had 4 grocery stores within 5 minutes of my house there. People talk about how our HEB wasn't even there about 3 years ago (near Steiner/River Place). It was a thrill to get Super WAlMart a few months back just to have another option, even though I don't get produce or meats there!

I would kill for a nice Randall's closer to us. I just don't like HEB that much. The organization of the stores just doesn't seem well thought out and I don't think their sales are as good as Randall's/Safeway's. I'm a Safeway gal at heart!

Old 12-11-2007, 09:14 PM

15,273 posts, read 35,689,760 times
The problem is, or has been, that Albertson's (and the old Safeways) couldn't compete with HEB on quality, although price was similar. The Randalls have as good or better (depending entirely on who you ask) quality, but don't really try to compete on price. Only so much room in the market for that niche. The HEBs vary enormously, from very nice stores to pretty run-down looking. Most of that is due to the fact that HEB expands on cash, not credit, and historically has grown very slowly and very economically. They seem to have hit a critical mass, though, in the last few years and are growing much more rapidly that they did in the previous era.

We have a Randalls about 3 miles away, and an HEB about 1/4 mile away. When we do not want to deal with a crowd, we go to Randalls . My only issue there (and it really is stupid) is that they advertise their great savings using their Randall's card....when really, you pay an incredible markup if you don't use it. I think they were charging something like $4.50 a pound for ground meat once, but you "saved" something like $2/lb by using their card. In the end, the price is not that much higher than HEB, but the gaul of having that base price just irks me.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:00 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,284,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
The problem is, or has been, that Albertson's (and the old Safeways) couldn't compete with HEB on quality, although price was similar. The Randalls have as good or better (depending entirely on who you ask) quality, but don't really try to compete on price. Only so much room in the market for that niche. The HEBs vary enormously, from very nice stores to pretty run-down looking. Most of that is due to the fact that HEB expands on cash, not credit, and historically has grown very slowly and very economically. They seem to have hit a critical mass, though, in the last few years and are growing much more rapidly that they did in the previous era.

We have a Randalls about 3 miles away, and an HEB about 1/4 mile away. When we do not want to deal with a crowd, we go to Randalls . My only issue there (and it really is stupid) is that they advertise their great savings using their Randall's card....when really, you pay an incredible markup if you don't use it. I think they were charging something like $4.50 a pound for ground meat once, but you "saved" something like $2/lb by using their card. In the end, the price is not that much higher than HEB, but the gaul of having that base price just irks me.
Interesting that you have such a different perspective about Safeway/Randall's and the pricing. Even though Phoenix generally has a higher cost of living than Austin, it seems that my groceries from Safeway there were always less than the groceries I get at HEB here (I don't have a Randall's close enough to really compare apples to apples, tho). For example - HEB never puts milk on sale, ever (and blames the dairies for it). Yet Safeway routinely does buy one get one free or 2 for $5. I've also seen some meat prices here, in what I would think is Beef Central USA, that are ridiculously high compared to what we were paying in Phoenix....

While I like the meal deals and the combo loco offers at HEB, I seem to often just get crap I don't really need. I'd give all of them up to pay less for milk!

Old 12-11-2007, 10:10 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,074,289 times
Yeah in the Seattle area the Safeway (Randall's here) is the "cheap" grocery store... here, Randalls, I hear, is considered upscale? Weird.

I love HEB though.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:07 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,025,060 times
Randalls is way more expensive than HEB. it's borderline ridiculous. I went yesterday to buy a 12-pack of DP to replenish our office fridge and it was $7.99 at Randalls.

I guess it's the only way Randalls stays open with the lack of traffic they get. It is nice not having anyone in line in front of you. I dunno if it's worth the 40% markup though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin