Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2012, 05:26 PM

766 posts, read 1,255,397 times

Advertisements

I'm a UT student living on my own for the first time. Ive never been on food stamps because I've always lived with my parents or on campus, but Im going to need a little help the first few months getting established so I was approved for it. Are there any grocery stores that have fully automatic machines where I can purchase groceries with my lonestar card? Im still not comfortable with going to a regular store with judgemental judies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 05:39 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,021,541 times
As a former checker in college, don't worry about it. They're so common, a checker won't even notice what card you swipe.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:56 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,462,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
Are there any grocery stores that have fully automatic machines where I can purchase groceries with my lonestar card? Im still not comfortable with going to a regular store with judgemental judies.
To be honest, nobody knows, and nobody cares. Everyone has their own problems today.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:00 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,584,062 times
I'd agree that no one (especially our age) will care, but that said, the HEB at Hancock Center (41st and Red River) has a few self-service lines.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:30 PM

1,157 posts, read 2,653,798 times
I haven't ever used a lonestar card but isn't there an option on the card reader to select lone start card at HEB? I never watch people pay, but it seems that there wouldn't be a way to tell if someone was using a lone star card or black AMEX. I wouldn't give it much thought.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:23 PM

1,306 posts, read 3,122,634 times
I'm not familiar with how it works at a self checkout lane, but when I was a cashier ages ago, I had to hit a particular button on the register to separate out the eligible items from the ineligible items (non-food, alcohol, "hot" deli items). Maybe it's more advanced now and that's not necessary anymore.

Honestly I never judged unless the person was buying food that I could not afford on my meager wages...like NY Strip steaks, pricey seafood (and yes, there were folks who did that). The cashier doesn't know you from John or Jane; don't worry about what they think.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:27 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,566,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FueledByBlueBell View Post
I haven't ever used a lonestar card but isn't there an option on the card reader to select lone start card at HEB? I never watch people pay, but it seems that there wouldn't be a way to tell if someone was using a lone star card or black AMEX. I wouldn't give it much thought.

You mean spray-painting my AMEX and VISA cards hasn't been fooling anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin