Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 09:57 AM

97 posts, read 182,265 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! Like a lot of you know I'm going to be moving to Austin for grad school in August and will, for the first year or so, be without vehicle as they say. Bike and public transport pretty much.

I already have an apartment near school and work; what I'm worried about is groceries (and Ikea/Wal-Mart trips but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it).These are pretty common around here, but I was wondering if there's an accessible grocery that delivers to that area for those bulky once-a-month grocery trips?

Thanks in advance!

(Also....100F this week in Austin apparently. Good God people. Please tell me it'll be down by mid-August.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 10:08 AM

554 posts, read 1,746,837 times
If you have a drivers license then I suggest using car2go service or a rental once a month. You can rent by the hour with car2go. car2go Austin: Austin Car Sharing | Car Rental Also many rental car companies like Hertz have special weekend rates so you can get a car to use from Fri to Mon for like $80 if you shop around and use non airport locations for rental.

And nope mid August will be as hot or likely hotter than now. October will start to cool off again. Bring your shorts and flip flops they are acceptable to wear just about anywhere in this city.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguyatx View Post
If you have a drivers license then I suggest using car2go service or a rental once a month. You can rent by the hour with car2go. car2go Austin: Austin Car Sharing | Car Rental Also many rental car companies like Hertz have special weekend rates so you can get a car to use from Fri to Mon for like $80 if you shop around and use non airport locations for rental.

And nope mid August will be as hot or likely hotter than now. October will start to cool off again. Bring your shorts and flip flops they are acceptable to wear just about anywhere in this city.
Good God. Y'know at some point, Mr. Burns' plan to cover the sun must begin to sound like a good idea. Just saying.

And no, I don't have my driver's license. It's a whole big expensive process in my hometown here and having gone to college in NYC it was never a necessity.....I was thinking of getting it at some point this year in texas.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:33 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,336,806 times
Central Market has a personal shopper service and I'm sure they'll deliver too, but why pay the extra money for that? Living in Hyde Park it will be easy for you to hop on a bike and go shopping. Just get a good bike bag with side bags for the groceries. You can also take the bus. There's a huge HEB (grocery store) at Red River and 41st. The bus stops right out front.

There are numerous smaller grocery stores in Hyde Park also. Try Fresh Plus, Natural Grocer, and Wheatsville. Fiesta is close by too.

You can also shop at Sears, Petco, Walgreens and a bunch of other stores in the Hyde Park area.

I understand you're asking about "bulky" shopping trips, but seriously, I can't think of anything from the grocery store that you have to buy in bulk. Buy four rolls of toilet paper instead of 40 and you'll easily be able to transport it on your bike. Just saying.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:23 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,438,444 times
I broke my ankle last year and was pretty much stuck on the couch for a couple weeks. I looked and looked for a grocery delivery service in Austin, and couldn't find one. That may have changed, though. Good luck.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:26 PM

322 posts, read 847,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextstopAustin View Post

(Also....100F this week in Austin apparently. Good God people. Please tell me it'll be down by mid-August.)
Hahahahaha! Wait....are you serious? It generally stays around that temperature until mid September. Sometimes October. Really.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:38 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,541,572 times
Quote:
If it's 100 now then it could very well be 107-110 by mid-August.
It's happened before...no rain brings very high temps.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
I broke my ankle last year and was pretty much stuck on the couch for a couple weeks. I looked and looked for a grocery delivery service in Austin, and couldn't find one. That may have changed, though. Good luck.

I'll have to cab it then (or go on little bike-able trips throughout the month). Central Market would be perfect for me location-wise, did you try them?

Old 06-08-2011, 12:50 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,584,355 times
Quote:
Um... no... was this a joke? Actually, it's usually much hotter in August than it is in June. You should expect it to be at least this hot (often hotter) all the way through September. During October, it will start to cool down to pleasant-warm and then you will see cooler temps in November.

Did you not research the weather here before moving? Welcome to Texas.

I don't know of any grocery stores in the area that deliver. You'll need to either get your license, learn to get by on your bike (which many do), or take the bus (which many do.)

Old 06-08-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
Um... no... was this a joke? Actually, it's usually much hotter in August than it is in June. You should expect it to be at least this hot (often hotter) all the way through September. During October, it will start to cool down to pleasant-warm and then you will see cooler temps in November.

Did you not research the weather here before moving? Welcome to Texas.
I sort of just followed the fellowship offer, haha. It wasn't a choice per say.

And leave me freckling heat-sensitive butt alone; I'm from Canada (ducks beer can) where June/July is the peak of heat.....I'm gonna miss that. A lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin