Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 01:10 AM

45 posts, read 132,324 times

Advertisements

We got our first home in austin and planning to get a good home alarm system. House prewired for security. $30-$45 monthly budget.

ADT is the only company I have heard of. Probably due to the signs we see in lot of places. They seem to be asking a 3 year contract (quick connect plus) which we would want to avoid. The other plans like family plan have a very installation cost. Any input on ADT service in general? Too many online, not sure what to trust - would love to hear from someone here.

Any other recommendations? There seem to be too many when we search. I am interested in Preferably ones with shorter/ one year contract options and large like ADT ( and of course good ones).

Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 05:22 AM

686 posts, read 1,767,381 times
Just thinking aloud: Would it be cheaper to purchase a wireless alarm system at Amazon.com or such (~$300 including a few motion sensors)? The system can be programmed to call 911, the local fire department, and other numbers. Assuming a phone line is already available, the monthly cost will be $0.

Would love to hear the pros and cons.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:25 AM

543 posts, read 1,740,443 times
Time Warner has recently entered the home protection market here in Austin. I haven't checked closely into it yet but am concerned about the two year commitment required. Although I am already a TW subscriber for cable/internet, I want to have the option to switch when Google arrives next year. I don't know if the TW home security system will play nicely with Google broadband. Time will tell.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:04 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,276,257 times
We got a company with our new house. HATE THEM! Can't wait for our contract to end. When it does, going to these guys - Smith Thompson. You own your system, no contracts, and a $17/month fee. Unlike most, they can deal w/ a VoIP phone. Also, you are still monitored when the power is out as their reporting is cellular data, battery powered.

As far as a dial up, you are taking your chances. If you are in the city, you have to have a permit. Your fourth false call costs you $50, your eighth, $100. In addition, if the city tells you that your system needs deactivation, you have to be able to do it w/in twelve hours. Just my luck I'd be out of town. Worth $200/yr. to not have to deal with any of that. If you will notice, all of the Amazon sellers say they "call a contact person", not 911. There is a reason.

Good luck.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:08 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
I like ADT.
I like the Pulse system.
Set up to let you use cameras all over your house and access all your stuff from your phone.
Various companies offer this now.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:58 AM

979 posts, read 2,954,904 times
Once you are off contract, ADT will continually raise your monthly price by $3 (approx) quite frequently. I've got very basic service, and my ADT price is now up to close to $50 a month, but I've been too lazy to switch since I plan on moving and don't want to get locked into a 3 year either.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:33 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,052,964 times
There have been several previous discussion threads on this topic. sloan was highly recommended by numerous people. I do not believe they require a 3 year contract if you pay for the equipment up front.

From the FAQ it sounds like they bill annually, no contract required, also "We provide you with a full assessment and system pricing without cost or obligation".

I made a note as I currently have ADT and am thinking about changing. They are currently charging me $135 every 3 months. When I changed over to AT&T Uverse, I had to replace the original AT&t alarm panel and dialer as it would not work with the Uverse phone system. That cost me around $250 as I recall.

Old 06-15-2013, 02:13 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,122,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
There have been several previous discussion threads on this topic. sloan was highly recommended by numerous people. I do not believe they require a 3 year contract if you pay for the equipment up front.

From the FAQ it sounds like they bill annually, no contract required, also "We provide you with a full assessment and system pricing without cost or obligation".

I made a note as I currently have ADT and am thinking about changing. They are currently charging me $135 every 3 months. When I changed over to AT&T Uverse, I had to replace the original AT&t alarm panel and dialer as it would not work with the Uverse phone system. That cost me around $250 as I recall.
That is correct, Sloan is $10 a month but you pay for the whole year at once. I would steer clear of ADT.

Old 06-15-2013, 04:18 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,776,777 times
Meh...we don't even lock our doors...

Old 06-16-2013, 04:54 AM

15 posts, read 16,249 times
WOW,

In New York I'm billed $31.75 every three months for alarm monitoring.

Why does it cost so much more in Texas ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin