Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 09:42 AM

45 posts, read 132,413 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone for your active feedback! Will check out Sloan, I have not heard of it before and haven't seen any sign boards of it in our neighborhood, so did not know.

ADT: If we have landline - our quote was $34 p.m and initial install charges of ~$240. If we needed keyfob, it was $75 extra and no glass shatter sensor/heat/smoke detection provided by default. Each was $75 more. And then it was 3 years contract. If no landline but using their cellular signal box - it was $10 more p.m and then additional $200 extra initial cost. Overall it was quite pricey. I would not have minded paying the monthly charges if not for the 3 year contract and the high initial cost. The pulse system had good features (remote enable/disable with apps, text notification) but it obviously had a much higher initial cost (close to $500) and then monthly was about $50.
I was initially inching towars ADT as that is the only sign I have always noticed and we saw lot of people using it but the contract obligation is way too restrictive, given the high install costs.

Seeing a bunch signs for "CENTRAL SECURITY". Anyone using that? It seems to be Austin based company.
https://www.getsecurityalarm.com/PRO...E_SYSTEMS.html

Also CSG - Central Security Group seems to be an option.

Smith Thompson - I did notice it was recommended by a bunch of people in the Houston forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 12:01 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,956,781 times
After having been a slave to ADT et al for years, I finally switched to SimpliSafe (Home Security Systems from Simplisafe). There are no contracts. It's wireless and communicates with the center via a cell line inside the unit you buy. You buy the system up front, customize it to your home and install it yourself. It took me about half an hour to install. If you move you can take it with you or if your needs change, you can add and subtract features as you want. No sales people. No high pressure. And it works flawlessly. I've had mine for over two years and can't tell you how pleased I am.

My initial system ran around $275.00. The monthy fees run from $14.99 to $24.99 depending on the services you want --- from basic monitoring to adding cell and email alerts plus remote controls. They also give you a free remote with your purchase. I honestly can't say enough good things about this company and its products.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:10 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,091,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodinvilleguy View Post
That is correct, Sloan is $10 a month but you pay for the whole year at once. I would steer clear of ADT.
Just wanted to repeat this from another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I have read many other positive comments about Sloan. However that price is a little misleading, if you check out their website $10 is for burglary alarm monitoring only, does not include fire or smoke detector monitoring and they appear to have lots of extra fees they charge for things. So best to verify what the full cost will be for everything you want. They do say they provide free estimates.

sloan

This is worth emphasizing too:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robino2001 View Post
We've used Sloan for a few years too. If you already have a system in place that you just need activated/taken-over, I don't know why you'd use anyone who charges $20+ per month if you just have a reasonably basic system (no cameras, etc). A giant "secret" is that all of these companies use the same phone/alert center for the most part anyway... so it almost doesn't matter who you use once everything is set up (unless your system breaks down often).

Old 06-16-2013, 12:53 PM

625 posts, read 1,134,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorfml View Post
Meh...we don't even lock our doors...
Lol, nor do I half the time. Still have the blue ADT sign out front from the previous owner to keep em guessing.

Old 06-16-2013, 01:42 PM

Theft is surprisingly high in Austin, perhaps because so many people don't lock their doors.

Theft per 100,000 people
San Antonio 4400
Austin 4097
Houston 3200
Fort Worth 2988
Dallas 2873

Burglary is less of a problem, but still common.

Burglaries per 100,000 people
Dallas 1531
Fort Worth 1329
Houston 1281
San Antonio 1131
Austin 872

Violent crime is very low in most neighborhoods. One police officer that I discussed the high theft rate with speculated that since violent crime here is very low, people feel safe, as a result they leave valuables laying around and don't lock their doors, creating many opportunities.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:30 PM

543 posts, read 1,742,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Theft is surprisingly high in Austin, perhaps because so many people don't lock their doors.

Theft per 100,000 people
San Antonio 4400
Austin 4097
Houston 3200
Fort Worth 2988
Dallas 2873

Burglary is less of a problem, but still common.

Burglaries per 100,000 people
Dallas 1531
Fort Worth 1329
Houston 1281
San Antonio 1131
Austin 872

Violent crime is very low in most neighborhoods. One police officer that I discussed the high theft rate with speculated that since violent crime here is very low, people feel safe, as a result they leave valuables laying around and don't lock their doors, creating many opportunities.
I could be wrong but I believe that the vast majority of thefts recorded in Austin are from vehicles rather than personal residences.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmiguel View Post
I could be wrong but I believe that the vast majority of thefts recorded in Austin are from vehicles rather than personal residences.
It is my understanding that is usually classified as "burglary of an automobile" and included under burglary, at least that is the case on the APD website.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:16 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,778,397 times
Meh...I haven't locked my doors in austin since 1995...never had a problem...

Old 11-01-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myhome0990 View Post
We used ADT before and hated paying them tons of money and got only a couple of sensors.......... extra sensors if you need will cost you a lot from ADT.

Have you tried a wireless security system that allows you to self monitor? Me and my folks bought two wireless home alarms called AAS Alarm online. Their systems are DIY and they sell you house alarm kits only. We love the fact that we use our land-line to monitor the house alarm if something happens. Easy to setup and get all the sensors going pretty good. Had them for more than a year now................

I am recommending AAS Wireless Alarm to all my friends................

Just a thought

Good Luck

Sam
8 out of 10 of your posts are promoting AAS Wireless Alarm, how long have you worked for them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin