Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 08:28 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,578,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk81230 View Post
We are moving because my husband works for Trader Joe's and will be working at the store that is opening in Austin. We moved from CA in Sept. to San Antonio and had always hoped to get to the Austin area so we are looking forward to the move. He has about a half hour commute now so we know that living in Round Rock will be a bit longer but think it sounds like a good fit for our family. Also his work schedule is not a typical 8-5 so we are hoping he isn't commuting in the highest traffic times. Thank you so much for all the suggestions!
Well now, that brings up more questions. WHICH store? A big yuck to commuting from RR to Seaholm or Rollingwood with Great Hills being closer to tolerable...again, WHERE in Round Rock will make a big difference. Please be aware that Round Rock ISD encompasses much more than a Round Rock address. For example, much of Avery Ranch is within the city limits of Austin but falls into RRISD. There are MUDs in the Round Rock non-city outskirts(or Austin outskirts, depending on how you view it) that you might consider, again in RRISD, but NOT within the city of Round Rock.

See how simple that is? Welcome to central Texas!

BTW, DW drove to Trader Joe's San Antonio in the nasty rain just this morning! Only partially kidding...she was helping a family friend in the hospital and her non-driving husband. She didn't miss the opportunity to hit TJ's, however! Looking forward to a location closer than 100 miles away!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 06:23 AM

12,960 posts, read 13,384,162 times
We live in Brushy Creek, which is a M.U.D. (Municipal Utility District) in the southern part of Williamson County - commonly referred to as "Wilco". We have an Austin mailing address, but are not in the City of Austin or Round Rock. BC is an unincorporated area.

Brushy Creek Elementary, Great Oaks Elementary, and Cedar Valley Middle School are all exemplary rated by the State of Texas. I believe they feed into Round Rock & McNeil High Schools - both are rated good.
RRISD is planning to build a high school & middle school in newly developing Pearson Place which borders the western edge of BC. England Elementary just opened there this school year.

We have numerous parks & pools in the MUD, as well as an extensive hike & bike trail system, and a nice community center.

It's a great place to raise a family.

However, if your husband is going to work at the TJ in south Austin, count on a one hour commute via MOPAC at rush hour. But I read somewhere TJ is going to open a store in the Domain development on north MOPAC, which would be about 20-25 minutes in the AM & PM from Brushy Creek.

Last edited by ScoPro; 04-11-2013 at 06:34 AM..

Old 04-11-2013, 09:13 AM

439 posts, read 1,257,956 times
Oh please please be the Domain section of town, that would be close to me, I live in Round Rock :-) I miss Trader Joes so much since we moved here from Phoenix.

As for your housing question. Look at Stone Canyon,Bent Tree, Cat Hollow and Brushy Creek, might have what your looking for. The problem your going to have is the price range of 160-180. East Round Rock has more in that price range.

Debbie

Old 04-11-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
Oh please please be the Domain section of town, that would be close to me, I live in Round Rock :-) I miss Trader Joes so much since we moved here from Phoenix.

As for your housing question. Look at Stone Canyon,Bent Tree, Cat Hollow and Brushy Creek, might have what your looking for. The problem your going to have is the price range of 160-180. East Round Rock has more in that price range.

Debbie
Cat Hollow is a part of the Brushy Creek MUD.

There have been several houses in the Woods of Brushy Creek in that price range, plus the older area around Brushy Creek Elementary.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:24 PM

16 posts, read 41,643 times
Thanks for the suggestions. It seems like I find more in east Round Rock in our price range but I am not sure of the different neighborhoods. We are first time home buyers and obviously we would have more options with a larger budget but we mostly care about finding a house that is in a neighborhood that we feel safe and comfortable in and has a good school nearby.
My husband will be working at the store going in Rollingwood. He may try and get transferred closer to home once new stores open but there is always the possibility that he gets moved around to different stores so we always plan on there being the possibility of a longer commute. Glad that people are so excited for the new store...TJ's is great

Old 04-11-2013, 02:00 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,519,305 times
Just want to add that nothing is wrong with East Round Rock. Forest Creek and Teravista, for example, are in east RR and they are very good neighborhoods. I'm going to dissuade you from Teravista because that is too far north if your husband is commuting to South Austin. Why don't you live in Austin? Like another poster asked, why Round Rock? based on what you've heard/read? There are some nice single family homes in that price range in north Austin. Ny old neighborhood is zoned to Caraway/Canyon Vista/Westwood, for example. Granted, the homes are older and need updated, but the schools are worth having to deal with that. (It is an area around Balcones golf course).

Also, nothing is wrong with Pflugerville either. At that price range, there are several excellent neighborhoods (some that have mature trees) that track to some pretty good schools for your money. Just bc something is lower than 200k doesn't mean that you're gonna have to deal with drive bys and crappy schools.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:11 PM

16 posts, read 41,643 times
Thank for the info. I certainly wasn't trying to imply that I think our budget means I would end up in a neighborhood with gun violence. We have seen many homes in Round Rock that we like that are within our budget. We were just hoping to get a little more information about areas for us to check out.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Just want to add that nothing is wrong with East Round Rock. Forest Creek and Teravista, for example, are in east RR and they are very good neighborhoods. I'm going to dissuade you from Teravista because that is too far north if your husband is commuting to South Austin. Why don't you live in Austin? Like another poster asked, why Round Rock? based on what you've heard/read? There are some nice single family homes in that price range in north Austin. Ny old neighborhood is zoned to Caraway/Canyon Vista/Westwood, for example. Granted, the homes are older and need updated, but the schools are worth having to deal with that. (It is an area around Balcones golf course).

Also, nothing is wrong with Pflugerville either. At that price range, there are several excellent neighborhoods (some that have mature trees) that track to some pretty good schools for your money. Just bc something is lower than 200k doesn't mean that you're gonna have to deal with drive bys and crappy schools.
My brother lived in Balcones Village for 30 years and still maintains his old home there. It's a great neighborhood, but that area is going to be well above $200K. More like $300K+

Old 04-11-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
My brother lived in Balcones Village for 30 years and still maintains his old home there. It's a great neighborhood, but that area is going to be well above $200K. More like $300K+
Yeah, the neighborhood right next to the course I think..but there's an older section off 183, by Spicewood Springs. I did an MLS search and there are still some nice homes available that are less than 300k and feed into those schools.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk81230 View Post
Thank for the info. I certainly wasn't trying to imply that I think our budget means I would end up in a neighborhood with gun violence. We have seen many homes in Round Rock that we like that are within our budget. We were just hoping to get a little more information about areas for us to check out.
Fair enough. Still wondering why Round Rock when your husband's job is so far south. Granted, I commute to downtown (have no other choice really), but I am close enough to Metrorail to make things bearable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin