Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2009, 11:33 PM

2 posts, read 3,748 times

Advertisements

HI
My husband and I will be moving to Austin this year and we are having difficulty finding a neighborhood to buy a house. He will start work near downtown/UT area. My job is in NW austin/round rock area, but I will need to drive to the arboretum, cedar park and downtown round rock frequently. I would like to be no more than 30 mins from these 3 locations. Is there a neighborhood that would minimize both of our commutes? We were looking at Anderson Mill/ Balcones Village area, Jollyville, and Wells Branch. We considered Avery Ranch, but we would prefer an older established neighborhood. We would like to spend no more than 300K.
Are there any austin neighborhoods where neighbors know each other?
Are there any non-downtown neighborhoods that are walkable?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 07:38 AM

806 posts, read 2,887,075 times
The area bounded by Parmer, MoPac, Anderson Mill and 183 would be your best.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:01 AM

5,872 posts, read 11,950,562 times
What's your budget?

Old 03-12-2009, 09:48 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,459,633 times
How much older of a neighborhood do you want? Anderson Mill is predominantly 80's and 90's (with a few earlier or later), Balcones Village is the 1970's.

Have you looked at Ranch at Cypress Creek?

Milwood is also a possibility.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
What's your budget?
Nevermind - I just re-read your post. I like the whole NW Austin area for the reason that 183 will feed you into Mopac to get downtown and you can also use 183 to get to the toll roads to get you into Round Rock quickly. There are quite a few nice older neighborhoods. What exactly do you mean by "walkable" neighborhoods though? Most of the areas outside the city core don't have much to offer in the way of walking "to" anything maybe other than a local park.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:50 PM

2 posts, read 3,748 times
Thank you for your posts. The information is most helpful!! In terms of neighborhoods, if we didn't have the work constraints, we would like to live in Hyde Park or French Place. We like the feel of the area and the established homes. More important for us though is the sense of community. In our previous neighborhood, our neighbors looked out for each other. We had neighborhood events, block parties, etc.

As for "walkable", I suppose I wanted to know how suburban these neighborhoods are. Prior to this move, my husband and I have lived in downtown Chicago and Boston.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:06 AM

Why not Hyde Park? His commute wuld be much easier and you would be going against the flow of traffic into RR or CP. The outskirts of town won't have that same "in town" feel that you'd get from the central part of the city. Even though some folks will tell you that Austin has walkable neighborhoods, they are nothing on par with Chicago (and Boston I assume - I haven't been there). You will however find that Texans are very friendly and community-minded so even if you do choose a spot away from the center of town, I'm sure you will find that same "watching out for each other" mentality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin