Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 02:46 PM

4 posts, read 9,533 times

Advertisements

Hi, Forks,

I am going to open a new Japanese restaurant in Austin. I have one space available to run. The space is located in the same plaza as Subway at Neenah Plaza, at Parmer Lane and Neenah. Any ideas about this locations and neiborhood? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 03:25 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,736,549 times
FYI, Parmer Lane is the biggest street thoroughfare in North Austin. Also in North Austin, there is a Chinatown (by Research Blvd. (183) & Peyton Gin/ Rundberg & Lamar area), but you well north of that location and would be a first destination for well people living further north in Scofield Farms/ Wells Branch/ Pflugerville. If you have the budget, I would consider advertising in The Austin Chronicle to help bring in the foodies (they always like to try something new). Good luck!

Old 11-18-2012, 03:39 PM

1,306 posts, read 3,120,002 times
You'd be near Avery Ranch, which is a huge master-planned community. You'd also be near Blizzard, a popular game developer. There's many more big office buildings heading South down Parmer.

I don't agree about drawing the Pflugerville/Wells Branch crowd. There's the very trendy Tomo at Parmer and MoPac and quite a few more Japanese places surrounding MoPac. Parmer & Neenah is practically into Cedar Park.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:46 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,548,407 times
For the 'what are we going to eat?' crowd, there are two more restaurants going in @ Parmer/Avery Ranch Blvd(in addition to Z Tejas, Waterloo, Hunan Ranch at that same intersection). I get the impression that Morelia in 'your' shopping center does OK on Thurs-Sat...not sure about other times. I doubt the Subway is hitting their numbers, Taco Bell seems busy enough. "Green" cleaners lasted a couple of years, so that corner is empty. I can't see how the running store could be thriving, but who knows? Bike shop is likely behind projections, but OK. In other words, I don't think the location is fantastic, but workable. There is a new Japanese restaurant @ 183/ Anderson Mill...not exactly next door; but a bit of 'northside' competition.

Personally, I'd like to see a good BBQ place in the area. I have no idea how a Japanese restaurant would be received by the neighbors, but the area continues to grow. I did hear the management group running 'your' center was not particularly flexible toward build out and other up front costs...perhaps the empty storefronts have 'softened' them somewhat.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:59 PM

Thanks for all your post! The first impression I got from the shopping center is not busy enough! I am worried if we can get enough customers, since it seems the space is located at the edge of the community and Neenah avenue is at the end. I will drive around during different time. Still need more information to make the decision.
Thanks Forks

Old 11-18-2012, 05:14 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,548,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoguan View Post
Thanks for all your post! The first impression I got from the shopping center is not busy enough! I am worried if we can get enough customers, since it seems the space is located at the edge of the community and Neenah avenue is at the end. I will drive around during different time. Still need more information to make the decision.
Thanks Forks
Neenah will eventually extend eastward into Pearson Place, but I'm not sure that 'convenience' will be significant for a destination restaurant. You also have quite a few new 'green' homes going in across from the train station on Lakeline/Neenah; so, perhaps, more residents who might be interested in Japanese food essentially within walking distance . It's not the easiest center for ingress/egress...parking is particularly screwball when a big bike ride or live music brings in extra folks.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:37 PM

1,306 posts, read 3,120,002 times
183/Anderson Mill is actually pretty dense with Japanese restaurants (Osaka, Midori, How Do You Roll?, Kobe, Nagoya, and both Daichi & Momiji 5 mins. away), but I don't think that'd be competition for Parmer/Neenah. To a resident around Anderson Mill, Parmer/Neenah would be a crazy drive. The competition you'd have to worry about is on your doorstep with Hunan Ranch; they serve sushi.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:15 PM

Thanks for your replies. I don't think Hunan will be my big competitor, although they offer sushi. My concern is if we have enough customer base, if the neighbor love japanese food and if the traffic good enough.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:33 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,573,318 times
Are we talking an order at the counter place like Zen or more like Tokai in 1890 Ranch in Cedar Park? You could get a lot of us that frequent Cedar Park restaurants as I think a place like Zen or an actual Zen would do well as the shopping center you're talking about is surrounded by families. That Taco Bell is packed with High School kids after football games at the "Palace" stadium. However, I could see a place like Tokai not attracting us that live North of there because 1890 Ranch offers a better all around "date" environment.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:00 PM

We are going to open a dine-in restaurant with affordable price also have happy hour every day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin