Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 12:40 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGnative View Post
Hmm I wonder what that means. I seem to remember 5 years or so ago there were talks about a Walmart Neighborhood Market going into that location but that seemed to have faded away. It would be hard to believe that a grocery would not be part of their masterplan but we will have to wait and see. Seems like they would want to make an announcement that a replacement grocery store is in the works,, I can understand why they would not want to name who that is but atleast reassure people that downtown and medical district will not remain a food desert for long.. but this vague response of just "potential tenants" is not exactly reassuring.. especially when the city is trying to market foundry place to young professionals.. that is going to be hindered with the question of a grocery store being left up in the air
Walmart is tight on opening new stores. It closed many stores and eliminated Walmart Express in 2016. It has delayed construction or cancelled plans for additional Walmart Supercenter and Walmart Neighborhood Market stores.

If Kroger can be wooed back for a Kroger Marketplace store with a parking deck involved, more power to everyone.

I would like to see Publix move in with a 29m (29,000 square feet) or 38m (38,000 square feet) store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 12:44 PM

1,497 posts, read 1,518,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
The foundation wants a grocery store to be the cornerstone of this project and they want an upscale grocer. While I don't think the current demographics of the area can support such a store, with all the projects planned maybe soon it will be able too. I think a retailer like Lucky's Market, Lidl or even a small Publix store would do well in the area.
The Whole Foods incident should inform them that upscale grocery probably wont work there but certainly something nicer than the old retro 15th Kroger. I think an Aldi, Lidl or a WalMart Neighborhood Market would do well there. Hopefully it wont be too long before there is a replacement grocery store for the residents of that area... because the Kroger was all they had and there are many people who cannot drive out to West Augusta or North Augusta

Old 02-14-2017, 12:52 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,176,740 times
Quote:
The Whole Foods incident should inform them that upscale grocery probably wont work there but certainly something nicer than the old retro 15th Kroger. I think an Aldi, Lidl or a WalMart Neighborhood Market would do well there. Hopefully it wont be too long before there is a replacement grocery store for the residents of that area... because the Kroger was all they had and there are many people who cannot drive out to West Augusta or North Augusta
Using that logic a fresh market would work there since its working In West Augusta.

Seriously though I do agree that that area needs a regular grocery not an upscale one.

Old 02-14-2017, 01:12 PM

568 posts, read 698,674 times
Sounds like a good location for a Stars and Strikes.....

Old 02-14-2017, 01:39 PM

Actually I do not think A Fresh Market would work on 15th st. lidl and Aldi would do very well downtown. Their prices are simply unbeatable and cheaper than Wal-Mart. That would be a big help for cash strapped residents of the inner city but these German discount grocers have cross appeal among a spectrum of income levels. This may be why they are rapidly expanding in the US. I shop mostly at Aldi.. I can afford to shop at more expensive places but why pay more for the same thing? Also I can get in and out of an Aldi in half the time it takes to navigate a traditional grocery store. To me it would be the perfect replacement for the 15st Kroger

Old 02-14-2017, 04:58 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,388,028 times
Quote:
Actually I do not think A Fresh Market would work on 15th st. lidl and Aldi would do very well downtown. Their prices are simply unbeatable and cheaper than Wal-Mart. That would be a big help for cash strapped residents of the inner city but these German discount grocers have cross appeal among a spectrum of income levels. This may be why they are rapidly expanding in the US. I shop mostly at Aldi.. I can afford to shop at more expensive places but why pay more for the same thing? Also I can get in and out of an Aldi in half the time it takes to navigate a traditional grocery store. To me it would be the perfect replacement for the 15st Kroger
Downtown shouldn't have just one grocery store. If the inner city residents need a traditional store give them that but if the more wealth residents has the cash to shop at a more expensive store they shouldn't be limited by who don't have. To solve the problem put a upscale store n less expensive store in the same area to validate both sides. Just because you choose to do your shopping at Aldi and you choose to say it the same dont mean someone else feel the same way. Food is different from electronic devices you can go to cheaper stores and find the same exact thing. But not when it come to quality of food. Just because Aldi starting to sale more organic food dont it the same as WF.

Old 02-14-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlovingit View Post
Downtown shouldn't have just one grocery store. If the inner city residents need a traditional store give them that but if the more wealth residents has the cash to shop at a more expensive store they shouldn't be limited by who don't have. To solve the problem put a upscale store n less expensive store in the same area to validate both sides. Just because you choose to do your shopping at Aldi and you choose to say it the same dont mean someone else feel the same way. Food is different from electronic devices you can go to cheaper stores and find the same exact thing. But not when it come to quality of food. Just because Aldi starting to sale more organic food dont it the same as WF.
What I am saying is is that the prices Aldi offers is more in line with what the vast majority of inner city residents can afford. If Publix, Whole Foods, Kroger, et al felt like they could make money downtown, they would be there. The 15th Street Kroger was kept on life support for years because they there lease was frozen at 1980s levels. The market is simply not there for an upscale grocery store.. but something like an Aldi could easily make it there.. and that is much better than nothing at all.. which is the current state.. NO grocery store within a 2 mile radius of downtown. If Whole Foods can't make it in West Augusta then how would they make it downtown which is much much poorer.

Old 02-14-2017, 11:01 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,388,028 times
Quote:
What I am saying is is that the prices Aldi offers is more in line with what the vast majority of inner city residents can afford. If Publix, Whole Foods, Kroger, et al felt like they could make money downtown, they would be there. The 15th Street Kroger was kept on life support for years because they there lease was frozen at 1980s levels. The market is simply not there for an upscale grocery store.. but something like an Aldi could easily make it there.. and that is much better than nothing at all.. which is the current state.. NO grocery store within a 2 mile radius of downtown. If Whole Foods can't make it in West Augusta then how would they make it downtown which is much much poorer.
You haven't been to Augusta in quite sometimes

Old 02-15-2017, 12:35 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Quote:
f Publix, Whole Foods, Kroger, et al felt like they could make money downtown, they would be there.
If there are available locations downtown where grocery retailers can open stores and make money, they would be there already.

Old 02-15-2017, 12:45 AM

My point exactly.. The 15th Kroger was subsidised by having their lease frozen at 1980s rates and it still could not make it. I am guessing to attract one of the larger grocery chains to that area the city will have to offer some sizable tax incentives and possibly Tax increment financing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area