Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 09:22 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times

Advertisements

Is there another viable location nearby that could accommodate a supermarket or a hypermarket?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 09:40 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,101,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cst8670 View Post
Not a chance in hell.
A neighborhood Walmart? May but Fresh Market won't as they cater to a select upperscale clientele and Trader Joe's isn't in the area but if they did come in now they wouldn't go into that area right at the start.
I think you might want to read the DDA report.. ''In discussion with a NC European Grocery Concept.''

Fresh Market is based in Greensboro, NC... Unless they meant Lidl which has a distribution center in NC..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Is there another viable location nearby that could accommodate a supermarket or a hypermarket?
The Gateway project will have one. I'm sure another one is coming, but the Gateway should have the first grocery store.

Last edited by nortonguy; 01-31-2017 at 10:08 AM..

Old 01-31-2017, 09:49 AM

However, the foundation is working with the city and several other entities to redevelop the land into a mixed use space with restaurants and residential space that will hopefully attract a grocery store. The foundation is already in contact with several national brands. Mercier says we should be seeing some work kicking off for the new development in about six months.
Downtown Augusta Kroger to close after 35 years

Old 01-31-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
I think you need to read the DDA report.. ''In discussion with a NC European Grocery Concept.''

Fresh Market is based in Greensboro, NC... Unless they meant Lidl which has a distribution center in NC..
There is a difference between a North Carolina-based European grocery concept and a Germany-based limited assortment/discount grocer. I know specialty gourmet grocer The Fresh Market has an old world Europe atmosphere in its stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy
The Gateway project will have one. I'm sure another one is coming, but the Gateway should have the first grocery store.
I think those grocery options would be Kroger Marketplace, Publix, Walmart Neighborhood Market, or Walmart Supercenter.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
There is a difference between a North Carolina-based European grocery concept and a Germany-based limited assortment/discount grocer. I know specialty gourmet grocer The Fresh Market has an old world Europe atmosphere in its stores.

I think those grocery options would be Kroger Marketplace, Publix, Walmart Neighborhood Market, or Walmart Supercenter.
The DDA is working on attracting regional brands also. Lucky's Market is a major possibility. I don't see a Walmart Supercenter opening anytime, because of the acreage required. Walmart Market solely depends on the location...

The Gateway project was held up for two reasons.. The city's inability to find a location for the bus barn(decided near Regency Mall last year). The other reason was former president Dr. Azziz didn't think Walmart Market was upscale enough. The former administrator tried to sell the bus barn property to Blanchard & Calhoun to build a Walmart Market/retail. The MCG Foundation became upset, but now the property belongs to them.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:28 AM

A Walmart Supercenter is possible through vertical growth involving a parking garage.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:59 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,388,028 times
We dont need another wal mart.

Old 01-31-2017, 11:09 AM

423 posts, read 447,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
I think you might want to read the DDA report.. ''In discussion with a NC European Grocery Concept.''

I was thinking more about it actually after I posted that Lidl might do it as well since they seem to be making a major push into the area with 4 new stores being planned and or built in the CSRA but still no way in hell will Fresh Market do it as I suspect the number of clientele they aim for is not there.
If it was there then the Krogers wouldnt have gone under and so I am thinking what we will see is either a Walmart Neighborhood Market, an IGA (not good odds on that) or a Lidl.
The other option is MCG might decide to open up their own grocery store and employee students.

Old 01-31-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cst8670 View Post
I was thinking more about it actually after I posted that Lidl might do it as well since they seem to be making a major push into the area with 4 new stores being planned and or built in the CSRA but still no way in hell will Fresh Market do it as I suspect the number of clientele they aim for is not there.
If it was there then the Krogers wouldnt have gone under and so I am thinking what we will see is either a Walmart Neighborhood Market, an IGA (not good odds on that) or a Lidl.
The other option is MCG might decide to open up their own grocery store and employee students.
Why are you acting like the closing of Kroger wasn't inevitable? The Foundation made it very clear either Kroger would be demolished and built again. Or another grocery store will occupy the Gateway project. They were going to close the existing store either way.

The Kroger going under had nothing to do with the clientele, because a lot of clientele didn't even shop there.

I find it shocking you believe MCG would ever associate with IGA. Especially when they didn't even want the city to sell the land to Walmart Market. But somehow, you believe the old Food Lion shopping center on South Belair road could attract Trader Joes..

The even more strange thing about your comment is IGA doesn't have any new stores in the metro besides their KJ Market brand in Hephzibah and Grovetown.

Old 01-31-2017, 01:37 PM

568 posts, read 698,674 times
"The Kroger going under had nothing to do with the clientele, because a lot of clientele didn't even shop there"

WTH does that mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area