Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 08:54 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,176,740 times

Advertisements

I don't see them nixing their precious gateway project. They may have to revamp if they don't secure a grocer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 05:36 AM

77 posts, read 71,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRU_Minion View Post
It'll be funny to see the spin if MCG plows it down and builds a parking deck. They're planning to get rid of two MAJOR parking areas right in the middle of the medical campus in their grand scheme, and all those people are gonna have to park somewhere.
Just curious, which parking areas are to be removed?

Old 02-01-2017, 08:42 AM

1,157 posts, read 1,412,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinedou View Post
Just curious, which parking areas are to be removed?
The large parking area surrounded by the Ronald McDonald House, Greenblatt Library, Cancer Center and Health Sciences Building is one. The other is the much larger gravel one surrounded by the new dorms, Student Center and the Ed Commons Building. Both lots are marked to become large courtyard/grassy areas.

Old 02-01-2017, 10:02 AM

77 posts, read 71,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRU_Minion View Post
The large parking area surrounded by the Ronald McDonald House, Greenblatt Library, Cancer Center and Health Sciences Building is one. The other is the much larger gravel one surrounded by the new dorms, Student Center and the Ed Commons Building. Both lots are marked to become large courtyard/grassy areas.
Ahh, I like the idea of the the parking lot between the library and Ronald Mcdonald house going away for aesthetic reasons but they definitely need to have replacement parking in place before then. I am just not sure there is space for new decks or a desire to build them.

Old 02-10-2017, 12:51 PM

1,497 posts, read 1,518,890 times
Just how is it a good thing for there to be no grocery store for the entire inner city Augusta area? Sure the 15th Street Kroger was not fancy by any standards.. but at least it was a grocery store. And a lot of people depended on it especially the poor and elderly who cant get out to West Augusta or North Augusta. If there are plans to bring another grocery store into the inner city then great but so far there are no indications that will happen, at least no time soon. So what will people do in the meantime, take an Uber to shop out on Washington Road? If you want to get more people living downtown then you need access to a grocery store, not expensive convenience stores. It's going to be even harder to convince young professionals to live downtown if they are going to have to drive all the way out to Washington Road to do their grocery shopping

Old 02-14-2017, 11:59 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cst8670 View Post
That doesn't preclude there also being a grocery store there as well, the land is more than big enough to have a grocery store with a parking deck below it.
A supermarket with a parking below is common with new Publix stores that have opened in Florida, North Carolina, and Tennessee.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:03 PM

Has there been any news that another grocery store is planned for that location to replace the Kroger elsewhere near downtown? I have not heard anything.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:05 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,165,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGnative View Post
Has there been any news that another grocery store is planned for that location to replace the Kroger elsewhere near downtown? I have not heard anything.
From a story I saw two weeks ago on WJBF, the MCG Foundation is in talks with potential tenants and that formal plans for the gateway project should be made in about 6 months.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
From a story I saw two weeks ago on WJBF, the MCG Foundation is in talks with potential tenants and that formal plans for the gateway project should be made in about 6 months.
Hmm I wonder what that means. I seem to remember 5 years or so ago there were talks about a Walmart Neighborhood Market going into that location but that seemed to have faded away. It would be hard to believe that a grocery would not be part of their masterplan but we will have to wait and see. Seems like they would want to make an announcement that a replacement grocery store is in the works,, I can understand why they would not want to name who that is but atleast reassure people that downtown and medical district will not remain a food desert for long.. but this vague response of just "potential tenants" is not exactly reassuring.. especially when the city is trying to market foundry place to young professionals.. that is going to be hindered with the question of a grocery store being left up in the air

Old 02-14-2017, 12:30 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,165,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGnative View Post
Hmm I wonder what that means. I seem to remember 5 years or so ago there were talks about a Walmart Neighborhood Market going into that location but that seemed to have faded away. It would be hard to believe that a grocery would not be part of their masterplan but we will have to wait and see. Seems like they would want to make an announcement that a replacement grocery store is in the works,, I can understand why they would not want to name who that is but atleast reassure people that downtown and medical district will not remain a food desert for long.. but this vague response of just "potential tenants" is not exactly reassuring.. especially when the city is trying to market foundry place to young professionals.. that is going to be hindered with the question of a grocery store being left up in the air
I agree, but from I understand the holdup was the fact that the foundation had to wait on the city to find a replacement site for the bus barn. Now that a replacement site has been found, the foundation can begin work on the site. It's suppose to be 25 acres and include residential units as well. The foundation wants a grocery store to be the cornerstone of this project and they want an upscale grocer. While I don't think the current demographics of the area can support such a store, with all the projects planned maybe soon it will be able too. I think a retailer like Lucky's Market, Lidl or even a small Publix store would do well in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area