Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 02:42 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,364,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post

I believe I posted a CITY-DATA link for Candler Park. I didn't make up that population number.

You didn't (or, at least I couldn't find it), but please do. As an ex-Candler park resident I'd like to see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 02:44 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,877,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
I have no idea where they got their numbers...they're definitely off. Either that or the CPNO is...and I doubt that.

You and I will just have to agree to disagree.
So...now you're arguing that the resource is wrong? Where will you stop in trying to feel like you're correct? I've shown that you aren't...so yes, I guess we will disagree - me on the side of statistics, photos, and resources and you on the side of your opinion. Okay.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
You didn't (or, at least I couldn't find it), but please do. As an ex-Candler park resident I'd like to see it.
I already corrected that statement...wow, you're like a hawk waiting for my responses huh?

Old 04-16-2009, 02:48 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,364,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I already corrected that statement...wow, you're like a hawk waiting for my responses huh?
Yes, I'm like a hawk waiting for your responses.

Be careful what you say.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:57 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,283,945 times
Hmmm....here's something contradicting your sources, though this is too high:

Candler Park Neighborhood Information, Schools, Real Estate, Population Demographics Information for Candler Park - ajchomefinder.com

Here's the city-data link:

https://www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...tlanta-GA.html

Here's Zillow: Candler Park People & Candler Park Demographics - Zillow Local Info

I think the AJC's numbers are for ALL of 30307, which is also Lake Claire and Inman Park. Lake Claire is smaller than Candler Park and Inman Park is larger.

However, it's also likely the AJC's numbers include renters.

It doesn't matter. You keep saying that you're backed up by statistics, etc. I'm a statistician for a living so if I thought you made sense I'd agree. But I'm very aware how misleading information can be. I'm sure you are, too. Like how many of those "bars" you said you found aren't actually in downtown...or like JPD said, they're not open during regular hours.

It seems, though, that nearly all the other intown residents generally agree with my sentiments. Downtown Atlanta is not YET the most attractive, or even AN attractive, destination.

Don't get angry. It's not worth getting angry over. I'm glad you're such a champion of downtown. We need more of that. And despite our argument I am a supporter of efforts to develop downtown. And we know "developing downtown" is an issue...it's in the paper all the time. If downtown were already great then we wouldn't see all these articles about it...

Old 04-16-2009, 03:25 PM

248 posts, read 651,736 times
Quote:
My entire point, which Deacon has issue with, is that downtown isn't the place to go and stay when you come to Atlanta for vacation (conventions are a different story). It's got "nothing" on other places in the city in regards to the reason why people come visit big cities...
It may not be the best place to 'stay' for visitors, but your assertion that it isn't even a place to 'go' -- and that it isn't an attractive destination -- for visitors is odd.

How you or anyone else can dismiss the Aquarium, World of Coke, Imagine It (for kiddies, of course), Centennial Park, the architecture and the great restaurants downtown as equaling area that is an unattractive destination for visitors is beyond my comprehension. If you consider the other sections of the city to be better places for visitors, that's understandable. But completely dismissing downtown is not. At least, not to me.

Heck, I'd take a visitor downtown if just to see the Peachtree Center MARTA station. That alone is worth a trip.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:40 PM

938 posts, read 3,171,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reet4587 View Post
It may not be the best place to 'stay' for visitors, but your assertion that it isn't even a place to 'go' -- and that it isn't an attractive destination -- for visitors is odd.

How you or anyone else can dismiss the Aquarium, World of Coke, Imagine It (for kiddies, of course), Centennial Park, the architecture and the great restaurants downtown as equaling area that is an unattractive destination for visitors is beyond my comprehension. If you consider the other sections of the city to be better places for visitors, that's understandable. But completely dismissing downtown is not. At least, not to me.

Heck, I'd take a visitor downtown if just to see the Peach tree Center MARTA station. That alone is worth a trip.

I found the PeachTree City Mall to be a disappointment. It was basically just a food court.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:52 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,429,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
I found the PeachTree City Mall to be a disappointment. It was basically just a food court.
That is basically what its purpose is.

Who goes to a new city and explores small malls meant to service office workers?

Old 04-16-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Yes, I'm like a hawk waiting for your responses.

Be careful what you say.

I know, I was assuming every post was coming from the irritating one...you snuck one in there - sorry I didn't notice it was from someone else. My bad.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Hmmm....here's something contradicting your sources, though this is too high:

Candler Park Neighborhood Information, Schools, Real Estate, Population Demographics Information for Candler Park - ajchomefinder.com

Here's the city-data link:

https://www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...tlanta-GA.html

Here's Zillow: Candler Park People & Candler Park Demographics - Zillow Local Info

I think the AJC's numbers are for ALL of 30307, which is also Lake Claire and Inman Park. Lake Claire is smaller than Candler Park and Inman Park is larger.

However, it's also likely the AJC's numbers include renters.

It doesn't matter. You keep saying that you're backed up by statistics, etc. I'm a statistician for a living so if I thought you made sense I'd agree. But I'm very aware how misleading information can be. I'm sure you are, too. Like how many of those "bars" you said you found aren't actually in downtown...or like JPD said, they're not open during regular hours.

It seems, though, that nearly all the other intown residents generally agree with my sentiments. Downtown Atlanta is not YET the most attractive, or even AN attractive, destination.

Don't get angry. It's not worth getting angry over. I'm glad you're such a champion of downtown. We need more of that. And despite our argument I am a supporter of efforts to develop downtown. And we know "developing downtown" is an issue...it's in the paper all the time. If downtown were already great then we wouldn't see all these articles about it...
Please...we're talking about CANDLER PARK - not all of 30307. If you wanna do it that way, let's include Downtown and Midtown together. GEEZ...what is your problem? One of your problems is that you don't understand how to have an adult discussion...

I'm not a champion of Downtown...I'm a champion of THE TRUTH. You aren't representing it well, and all you're doing is stating your opinion as if it is everyone's opinion. Again, you don't speak speak for everyone - or anyone except yourself.

Imagine this response...trying to contradict any source that I link. Big surprise...and with that, I will gladly avoid this thread so the topic may continue to be discussed by everyone else.

Last edited by DeaconJ; 04-16-2009 at 04:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta