Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 05:35 PM

217 posts, read 408,994 times

Advertisements

Bless his heart. "Scared" of downtown, then "saddened" by the tree loss (never mind Atlanta's reputation for plentiful tree cover) then "shocked" by all those black men standing around...being black.

I had no idea Atlanta was so emotionally taxing.

Knubchucks? Are those like woodchucks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 05:47 PM

943 posts, read 3,159,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmusket View Post
And so how does this negate the points made in the post? Why do some people resort to ad hominem attacks when they disagree with something someone says. Downtown Atlanta is basically a deadzone after 5pm.. that's a fact. How many locals in Atlanta go downtown in the evening except for a game at the arena? There is very little pedestrian activity aside from the homeless, of which the majority are mentally ill. downtown Atlanta is not river street in Savannah or Bourbon street in New Orleans or Times Square. I'd love to see Atlanta have a more lively downtown after 5pm, but it doesn't have it yet. Lots of ill conceived urban planning projects are to blame for this.

The most well informed post by far!

Old 04-17-2009, 06:03 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
The most well informed post by far!
Awarded by the least well-informed poster - by far!

Old 04-17-2009, 07:47 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,521,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmusket View Post
And so how does this negate the points made in the post?.
Easy...the OP is from or lives in Atlanta, they are not a visitor, its not a legit post because the person is either a banned member or has another screen name on city data. Its obvious what the OP's intent was. TROLL TROLL TROLL....I have no reply for the topic.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:35 PM

207 posts, read 940,166 times
I don't have a dog in this hunt, but really can predict when someone says something that is not PC about Atlanta, they are instantly branded a racist or troll.That is the ignorant person's defense: attack the poster personally instead of refuting their statement.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:04 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,308,673 times
I'd chalk up the problems with the mentally ill wandering the streets of Atlanta to Georgia's unwillingness to fund decent mental health programs. This state and this country in general has never done right by least of us and it shows in so many ways. We keep insisting that something has to make money for it to work and in so many cases it just isn't possible. There is no way for money to be generated off of the mentally ill because many are incapable of working on a consistant basis in order for money to be generated from them.

Why can't we Americans as a society simply accept that concept as a fact of life like many other advanced, enlightened western Societies and make it our duty to care for our weak and helpless with consistent govt funding of health programs. Let's face it: ain't no(yes it's a double negative) Private Corporation that's gonna open ANY mental hospitals or it would've ALREADY BEEN DONE and this ad hoc arrangement of disorganized church programs and praying that Mister Charlie in Buckhead will dole out the big bucks in donations just ain't cutting it.

Christian "Conservatives" please get over yourselves and your failed "free market" ideology and please get on board with progessive funding for our mental health institutions. Sheesh...

Last edited by AcidSnake; 04-18-2009 at 08:25 AM..

Old 04-18-2009, 08:12 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,308,673 times
What really sucks about this situation to me is that the same "Conservative" posters on here who complain about the mentally ill wandering the streets of Atlanta will also complain about the taxes that would be necessary to help our fellow southerners who are trapped in a situation not of their making.

Such hypocritical doublethink is so prevalent in the south. People are way too willing to ignore cause and effect when it suits their personal wants and needs. Where's the Christianity? I ask the question: What would Jesus do?

Old 04-18-2009, 08:33 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reet4587 View Post
Well damn, that sucks about the prices. It's a bad time to be charging folks more money for food.

If you're looking for a good lunch place in that area M-F, I suggest Social on West Peachtree Place, behind FAB (they're open for dinner M-Sat). Really great food. And they have beer! I don't remember the prices being too bad.

Really, this is all making me realize how much downtown has improved. I'm a native and I well remember being a young driver and exploring those streets in the 1980s. Sooooo different now, for both visitors and locals.
Good choice!!I love Social.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:51 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weekend traveler View Post
yes, i did get all over the atlanta area and have a mixed view of it. I was saddened by all the cookie cutter developments and all the tree loss. I also did not like all the ugly large signs on the interstate highways. I was shocked by all the very angry looking black men who hung around who looked like they had watched to many gangster rap videos on bet.

I liked the nice drive to callaway gardens and the nice homes in madison ga. I liked the rural and small town side of ga and would not return to atlanta.
what!!??

Old 04-18-2009, 09:54 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
what!!??
He had time to walk the streets of Downtown extensively and see the angry black men, spend a day traveling to Callaway Gardens, see all of the "cookie cutter developments" and horrible highway signs - in a WEEKEND? Please...I agree with the earlier post that this is totally made up by someone hating on Atlanta. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta