Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 12:57 PM

345 posts, read 1,020,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
if you are assaulted by a mentally ill person it does not feel any different than if they are sane.
Brilliant comment!! Bravo!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 12:59 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,897,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
Absolutely downtown needs more corner groceries and more pubs. Sometimes after a 10 miler I end up near Centennial Park and I can't find a place to just sit and have a nice cold beer (not counting the overpriced ones from the park itself). Thing is, those are the kinds of things that exist once enough people own the area, ie, live there. Downtown is getting there...but it's not there yet or we'd see those things.

I like Centennial Park. We usually make a couple trips out there in the summer to play in the fountain. But, we live 3 houses down from Candler Park...and it's a nicer park...with a pool.

The only time we go to the Children's Museum is when my mother-in-law is in town. And my son is nearly 8 so he's not so hot on it anymore. Additionally, it's not cheap. I mean, I'm not a cheapskate by any means but doesn't it cost >$10 per person?

And that's sort of my point...a lot of the attractions downtown are kind of pricey and if you LIVE here you want a lot of low cost entertainment to fill in the spaces between the high cost entertainment. And you can't find that downtown....yet.

Because enough people don't live there...yet.

I WANT downtown to be like L5P or Candler Park, etc, and would happily support efforts in that direction.
Then you need to do an online search for pubs and bars Downtown, so you'll know where they are. Obviously you aren't aware of them...I get 3 to 4 pages of them when I search for "pubs bars downtown atlanta" on yahoo.

Again - Downtown has a population of 30,000+ residents. That means it is one of the highest density neighborhoods in Atlanta.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:07 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,291,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Why is it not a good place to stay? Because YOU don't choose to go there? That's not a good reason.

You're definitely backpedaling from your earlier statement that there is "nothing downtown". Now you at least admit that there are things that happen in Downtown Atlanta and there are sustainable attractions - just that you don't choose to go there. That's a VERY different story.

Are you even aware that 30,000 people live in the 4 square mile area that is officially Downtown? I'm pretty sure that may be equal to or more than the number of people who live in Candler Park...how many people are you waiting for to move to Downtown???
I've already explained that it's not the BEST place to stay when you have places like Midtown. You don't have to agree and obviously don't. Fine.

You never explained how much time you spend downtown. Where DO you spend most of your free time that's not inside your house?

"Nothing downtown" was a relative generalization. Relative to the other parts of the city I think it's still true. I DONT think there are sustainable attractions. I think there are singular ones. And I'm not alone. Most people where I live...we don't go to downtown. It seems most people who go downtown don't even live in the city.

This doesn't change anything. If I want people to get a really great impression of Atlanta then downtown would only be worth a day's trip. Then I'd take them to all the OTHER places in the city that are so great. Admit it. If someone comes to Atlanta for a whole week and spends it all downtown? That wouldn't leave a great impression.

And of course more people live in the official downtown area than in Candler Park. Candler Park is small.

Obviously not enough people live downtown for it to start to feel like people own it. Or it would feel like that.

You're just arguing now to hold your position. You won't change my mind. Downtown is not the ideal place to stay if you're coming to Atlanta on vacation.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:11 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,389,592 times
Quote:
Then you need to do an online search for pubs and bars Downtown, so you'll know where they are. Obviously you aren't aware of them...I get 3 to 4 pages of them when I search for "pubs bars downtown atlanta" on yahoo.

Again - Downtown has a population of 30,000+ residents. That means it is one of the highest density neighborhoods in Atlanta.
It'd be nice of the restaurants on Broad Street would stay open after 5 pm and on weekends. It's the nicest and most relaxed stretch of street level shops in downtown that I'm aware of, but not a single one of those places sells beer or wine, even though it's at the base of a highrise residence and right in the middle of a college campus. One of the most effective ways to add charm and vibrancy to an area is to have people sitting outside dining/drinking/socializing, and not just during weekday 9-5 hours. This suggests to me that there are not enough people living downtown yet to support such businesses.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:15 PM

248 posts, read 652,531 times
Quote:
Absolutely downtown needs more corner groceries and more pubs. Sometimes after a 10 miler I end up near Centennial Park and I can't find a place to just sit and have a nice cold beer (not counting the overpriced ones from the park itself). Thing is, those are the kinds of things that exist once enough people own the area, ie, live there. Downtown is getting there...but it's not there yet or we'd see those things.

I like Centennial Park. We usually make a couple trips out there in the summer to play in the fountain. But, we live 3 houses down from Candler Park...and it's a nicer park...with a pool.

The only time we go to the Children's Museum is when my mother-in-law is in town. And my son is nearly 8 so he's not so hot on it anymore. Additionally, it's not cheap. I mean, I'm not a cheapskate by any means but doesn't it cost >$10 per person?

And that's sort of my point...a lot of the attractions downtown are kind of pricey and if you LIVE here you want a lot of low cost entertainment to fill in the spaces between the high cost entertainment. And you can't find that downtown....yet.

Because enough people don't live there...yet.

I WANT downtown to be like L5P or Candler Park, etc, and would happily support efforts in that direction.
We've got a family membership to Imagine It and the price is on par with memberships to the Zoo, the High and other such places. It's definitely a bargain for people who are going to use it often.

We drive over to Candler Park every now and then. Very nice spot and a beautiful neighborhood. I love the little grocery store there and wish there was one like that downtown.

Next time you're looking for a beer near Centennial Olympic Park, try the bar at the Peasant Bistro (west of the park) or Ted's Montana Grill (east). There's also a Taco Mac along the west side of Phillips arena and they've got a great selection.

I've got my fingers crossed for improved development downtown. I'd love to live there if it could become a little more neighborhood-ish. No disrespect intended to current downtown residents -- I love the place, but I needs me a proper 7-day-per-week, comprehensive grocery store nearby. I'm spoiled.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:21 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,446,685 times
^Max Lager's across from SunTrust Plaza is a cool brewpub.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:23 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,446,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reet4587 View Post
We've got a family membership to Imagine It and the price is on par with memberships to the Zoo, the High and other such places. It's definitely a bargain for people who are going to use it often.

We drive over to Candler Park every now and then. Very nice spot and a beautiful neighborhood. I love the little grocery store there and wish there was one like that downtown.

Next time you're looking for a beer near Centennial Olympic Park, try the bar at the Peasant Bistro (west of the park) or Ted's Montana Grill (east). There's also a Taco Mac along the west side of Phillips arena and they've got a great selection.

I've got my fingers crossed for improved development downtown. I'd love to live there if it could become a little more neighborhood-ish. No disrespect intended to current downtown residents -- I love the place, but I needs me a proper 7-day-per-week, comprehensive grocery store nearby. I'm spoiled.
When the next phase of Allen Plaza gets underway, there is supposed to be a full sized Publix at the base of one of the proposed buildings.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:29 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,897,448 times
Quote:
I've already explained that it's not the BEST place to stay when you have places like Midtown. You don't have to agree and obviously don't. Fine.

You never explained how much time you spend downtown. Where DO you spend most of your free time that's not inside your house?
What I do in my free time is not the topic of discussion. I would never publish that information online, especially not at the request of some hater. The topic and the issue I have with you is that you said that there is NOTHING DOWNTOWN. That's it...and I've already shown how wrong you are.

Quote:
"Nothing downtown" was a relative generalization. Relative to the other parts of the city I think it's still true. I DONT think there are sustainable attractions. I think there are singular ones. And I'm not alone. Most people where I live...we don't go to downtown. It seems most people who go downtown don't even live in the city.
Yes, the majority of your statements seem to be "relative generalizations". That's not an admirable trait.

Quote:
This doesn't change anything. If I want people to get a really great impression of Atlanta then downtown would only be worth a day's trip. Then I'd take them to all the OTHER places in the city that are so great. Admit it. If someone comes to Atlanta for a whole week and spends it all downtown? That wouldn't leave a great impression.
Who EVER said that a visitor should come to Atlanta and spend every minute Downtown? No one in this thread has made that assertion, yet you are arguing against it. Who are you arguing with?

Quote:
And of course more people live in the official downtown area than in Candler Park. Candler Park is small.

Obviously not enough people live downtown for it to start to feel like people own it. Or it would feel like that.
Candler Park: population 2,086...slightly less than 1 square mile. You do the math - it's not much of a comparison to Downtown...Downtown just has tall buildings and more homeless people - both of which scare country folk.

You can only speak about how you feel and how Downtown feels to you. Don't try to speak for everyone else, please. You don't.

Quote:
You're just arguing now to hold your position. You won't change my mind. Downtown is not the ideal place to stay if you're coming to Atlanta on vacation.
There is only one issue that I opposed from your post - that Downtown Atlanta doesn't have anything, including sustainable entertainment options and pubs/bars. I believe I've shown that it DOES have these things - it's just that you aren't aware of them and you don't frequent them. That isn't everyone - not by a long shot. Downtown is a great place to stay in Atlanta...more hotel rooms in a smaller space...access to MARTA...access to taxis at a moment's notice...many tourist attractions...etc. There are lots of places in the city to experience great entertainment, and Downtown is one of them.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:33 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,389,592 times
Quote:

Who EVER said that a visitor should come to Atlanta and spend every minute Downtown? No one in this thread has made that assertion, yet you are arguing against it. Who are you arguing with?
Isn't that what the OP said they did when they were here, and what they based their negaitve opinion of Atlanta on?

Old 04-16-2009, 01:44 PM

248 posts, read 652,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
When the next phase of Allen Plaza gets underway, there is supposed to be a full sized Publix at the base of one of the proposed buildings.
That would be very cool. I'm already geeked out about the Allen Plaza thus far. I'll try to not be Mr. Pickypants and wish the grocery store could be more centrally located downtown I'll be thrilled if this one happens.

RE: Max Lager, I keep forgetting about that place for some reason. It's been around for a while now so they must be doing something right. I'd like to revisit. I remember liking the beer and thinking the food was overpriced but good. Maybe I'll skip the food and just drink the beer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta