Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2009, 01:26 PM

297 posts, read 1,539,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Yeah, I know what Pless and you did. I offered what I think is a better and smarter alternative if you happen to be in the mood to throw some money around.

Seemed pretty clear to me.
Trust me that if we have ever have money to throw around that it will not go to the government In that respect, I think that the two of us are on the same page! If Pless feels inclined to donate to the government, I wanted to let her know that was an option. As I said before, I think that is one of the things that makes this country great! Pless can do with her money what she pleases, and we can do with our money as we please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 01:36 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,313,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagmypts View Post
Trust me that if we have ever have money to throw around that it will not go to the government In that respect, I think that the two of us are on the same page! If Pless feels inclined to donate to the government, I wanted to let her know that was an option. As I said before, I think that is one of the things that makes this country great! Pless can do with her money what she pleases, and we can do with our money as we please.
Whenever I have money to throw around (and in this context, "money to throw around" = donate to charity), it almost always goes to things I feel the government SHOULD be paying for, but aren't, like caring for war veterans.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:18 PM

26 posts, read 52,425 times
Default Staged Event? Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post

There is my proof, hosted by none other than Mr America, Hannity.

Wait, wait....let me write that down. THAT's brilliant. So if a news event occurs that's covered by Sean Hannity, it's a corporate made-for-TV manufactured event? Hmmm. What if Wolf Blitser of CNN covers a anti war rally event is that proof that event was staged? Come on. These people weren't bussed in or promised cigarettes to show up.

This wasn't a two week story. Responsible people on both sides of the aisle have been concerned for months and months about all this spending. Aren't you? It's only natural that people focus more on federal spending when they have to sit down and write the IRS a painful check. When are we going to grow up from the personality hating-soap opera drama-loving reality TV type politics. Who cares if you hate Hannity or Fox?

Old 04-16-2009, 02:38 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,313,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy323 View Post
Wait, wait....let me write that down. THAT's brilliant. So if a news event occurs that's covered by Sean Hannity, it's a corporate made-for-TV manufactured event? Hmmm. What if Wolf Blitser of CNN covers a anti war rally event is that proof that event was staged? Come on. These people weren't bussed in or promised cigarettes to show up.
It wasn't just "covered" by Hannity. He was the main attraction. Let's not play make-believe. We all know the facts.

Fox was actively promoting the event and encouraging people to show up. No other "mainstream" television* news organization has ever actively promoted a political rally.

*I had to make sure to say television because Clear Channel radio held a bunch of pro-war political rallys across the country a few years ago.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:52 PM

823 posts, read 2,217,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy323 View Post

This wasn't a two week story. Responsible people on both sides of the aisle have been concerned for months and months about all this spending. Aren't you? It's only natural that people focus more on federal spending when they have to sit down and write the IRS a painful check. When are we going to grow up from the personality hating-soap opera drama-loving reality TV type politics. Who cares if you hate Hannity or Fox?
Yes they were. They bused people in from outer suburbs and even had bus trips arranged from as far away as VA.

I am not concerned about it at all. I am happy that we will be spending it on programs I agree with instead of tax cuts for the wealthy and bombing any place that looks at us wrong.

As for the teabagging, look at who is running it and how it was orchestrated. This was not some grass roots movement by people concerned about spending. It was wealthy right wing foundations worried that the balance would swing back towards the middle. It is funny to me that the people decrying Obama's proposed tax changes are mad that they are getting their taxes cut.

I have to give the right credit. Their ideas are destructive and terrible but their marketing is tops. To get people to believe that up is down takes a lot of skill.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
It wasn't just "covered" by Hannity. He was the main attraction. Let's not play make-believe. We all know the facts.

Fox was actively promoting the event and encouraging people to show up. No other "mainstream" television* news organization has ever actively promoted a political rally.

*I had to make sure to say television because Clear Channel radio held a bunch of pro-war political rallys across the country a few years ago.

First of all Hannity is a commentator not a news anchor. Secondly for an organization to talk about thousands of voters turning out because they're angry about generational theft...I think that's newsworthy myself.

No other "mainstream" television* news organization has ever actively promoted a political rally.

Look, I seem to remember quite a bit of run up mainstream television (promotional) coverage of Obamas town hall meetings and campaign rallys. and I also seem to remember pre-promo of the Million Man March. Everyone was estimating how many would show up. Talking about the expected crowds well in advance of the rally...did this have an effect on the ultimate numbers? Who knows.

And after Cindy Sheehan's original protests, the news media turned it into a nightly wall to wall promotional circus. That ginned up even more anti war sentiment...and more crowds. And remember the cheerleading that the media gave Obama at nearly every campaign stop? What about the Obama world tour? He had a bigger entourage than a sitting president when he travels abroad!!!

And as a general rule, you can count on the news media doing nightly body counts for wars it disagrees with. "when will we reach 1000?, 1500?" Do I hear 2000 dead Americans, OK SOLD...end the war. Or how about the promoting...by ignoring... stories it deems too conservative. THAT's called news of course and not the media taking up a cause.

Look, I acknowledged Fox embraced this grass roots cause. But the original claim on this thread was that it was a corporate manufactured event. Again, these people felt strong enough about the direction of their country to show up. Sure the signs were colorful. Shows imagination. Are you claiming the signs were printed in the green room of Fox as well? Come on. Who cares who stood out in front of the crowds. There were THOUSANDS of genuine, sincere taxpaying citizens there... not mind-numb robots programed to "show up" on command.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:32 PM

Default Right Wing Foundations? Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyNice View Post
Yes they were. They bused people in from outer suburbs and even had bus trips arranged from as far away as VA.

I am not concerned about it at all. I am happy that we will be spending it on programs I agree with instead of tax cuts for the wealthy and bombing any place that looks at us wrong.

As for the teabagging, look at who is running it and how it was orchestrated. This was not some grass roots movement by people concerned about spending. It was wealthy right wing foundations worried that the balance would swing back towards the middle. It is funny to me that the people decrying Obama's proposed tax changes are mad that they are getting their taxes cut.

I have to give the right credit. Their ideas are destructive and terrible but their marketing is tops. To get people to believe that up is down takes a lot of skill.

People, you're missing the point of the rallys. (By the way there were dozens and dozens of rally's NOT attended by Hannity or Congressman or any celebrities...just concerned Americans. ie grassroots)

Its the SPENDING. The new tax policies have yet to come...except for the hugh new tax on smoking on the poor (the poor are proportionately more effected by cigarette taxation than any other segment)

Its the SPENDING that these protestors are disgusted by. I can decide to spend my money. You can decide how to spend yours. The federal government should wisely spend our combined tax dollars. But this generational theft is taking away your childrens money as well to pay for many projects and shortterm benefits that they'll not participate in. Is THAT fair? Its like you going on a spending binge at the mall and forcing your great grandchildren to pay the credit card bill. Highway spending fine. Bridges? Yup need to fix those before more drop into the rivers.

Don't be so gleeful that the rich are going to pay for all this spending though. Its YOU that will pay. Even if every single dollar earned by the "rich" in this country was confiscated...not 70% taxed, not 90% taxed... but 100% of their income was taken away IT STILL WOULDN'T COVER the spending here! It's always the middleclass that pays. The rich fend for themselves. YOU can't hide from the taxman.

That's how class warfare is used to divide us. Rich against poor. Black against White. Left agains Right.

And by the way...it's Obama and his unmanned drones that's doing the bombing of people that look at us the wrong way now. Wouldn't want to live in Pakistan about now.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:05 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,351,797 times
Yes, it was all the liberal news media's fault we've had a running deficit since WWII and no one talked about it in the 80's...they covered up Bush Sr. calling it Reagan's policy Voodoo Economics. This is a breaking news story that Fox only discovered since the early hours of Nov 5. The fact is even Cavuto presided over one in Sacramento. Last time I checked he still claims an anchor desk. I don't doubt there is bias in the media(they are human) but to claim that Fox has removed this veil is a bit ridiculous. If nothing else, they choose the most audacious and inflammatory stories (think Yellow Journalism) to win viewership.

As for the 15 yr old complaining about the 36k in taxes he owes. Unless he's a successful small business owner, I don't see him actually getting a tax bill. If he's just getting fed the calculation of the deficit and assuming he owes that much b/c they divided it by the # of people in the country, then I fear for him when he fails to understand the time-value of money or that 90% of those taxes will be paid for by people that make more money than him and likely had a lot more to do w/ this current crisis.

For those of us in the actual top quintile of income that do pay the vast majority of taxes, the current spending may bear some significance but a huge % of those protesters likely pay a lower tax bill than me (and got tax cuts from Mr. Obama). Of course most educated people can see that this current mass of spending is in response to nearly a decade of policies and unrestricted marketization that resulted in banks making a mad rush for outsized returns that could never be sustained. As a person w/ a 401k, I also know that the index funds inside often provided the capital these banks used to do this gold rush and that the levels of management essentially meant no one was at the wheel. The current level of spending is a concern but as a % of GDP its still relatively low but definitely should watch how Obama handles fiscal policy as the economy bottoms and eventually turns.

This sudden global outrage wreaks of manufacture. The top 1% of earners still makes a huge chunk of the income pie. They do pay some heavy taxes but I haven't seen many who've decided to walk away and go on the gov't till. For every one that would leave, likely 6 people would fight to get his job. The growing disparity in top 1% income is something that's been growing rapidly since the 80's when Reagan dropped their taxes. It's not that the poor don't pay taxes (they do w/ FICA, sales tax, state taxes, embedded taxes in rent) but the bottom quintile of income(0-$25k) hasn't moved in real income since the early 70's meaning they really don't have anything to tax. They make up like 6% of total income which after factoring cost of living...there's really no discretionary income they can put toward savings or retirement (or that the gov't could actually tax).

Old 04-16-2009, 04:46 PM

826 posts, read 3,123,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishap View Post

For those of us in the actual top quintile of income that do pay the vast majority of taxes, the current spending may bear some significance but a huge % of those protesters likely pay a lower tax bill than me (and got tax cuts from Mr. Obama). Of course most educated people can see that this current mass of spending is in response to nearly a decade of policies and unrestricted marketization that resulted in banks making a mad rush for outsized returns that could never be sustained. As a person w/ a 401k, I also know that the index funds inside often provided the capital these banks used to do this gold rush and that the levels of management essentially meant no one was at the wheel. The current level of spending is a concern but as a % of GDP its still relatively low but definitely should watch how Obama handles fiscal policy as the economy bottoms and eventually turns.
We are not in the highest tax bracket but in the 2nd highest, and all I can say in response to your post is AMEN.

Old 04-16-2009, 05:29 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,266,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merin View Post
We are not in the highest tax bracket but in the 2nd highest, and all I can say in response to your post is AMEN.

Ditto (despite our sudden discovery that we're paying solittle taxes for the bracket we're supposed to be in).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta