Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 05:57 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,071,618 times

Advertisements

Deffinitely mass transit / commuter rail and more bus routes to and from the stations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2007, 08:44 AM

187 posts, read 919,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjordan View Post
I support mass transit 100%...but only ITP. I don't think the city of Atlanta should waste money on suburbanites when it could create a world class transit system that would make the city a breeze to get around. OTP, mass transit is largely unsustainable because of the simple fact that everyone wants to live in a single family home on a half-acre lot. The density in the metro area is pathetic and the only place where density is coming is ITP.
Reading from many of the posts on this forum it seems as though transit issues will continue to be a major issue for the Atlanta area and disucssion about this issue is very important. Sitting around and pretending that the issue will just go away could only have troubling effects on future generations. Being the major city Atlanta is, I do believe that some day transit will improve for the best. Perhaps even being an example for other major cities. I am from the north, but I am not a yankee nor do I like being characterized as one. However, if being from the north qualifies me for thinking about sensible measures to improve another area, than I am excited to be a notherner (for the first time.)

Old 02-15-2007, 09:49 AM

41 posts, read 215,371 times
I'd address the massive problem of pet overpopulation in Atlanta and Georgia as a whole. Make spay/neuter free and available to all. If anyone has doubts that this is problem in GA, visit your local animal control pound and take a look for yourself. or visit Petfinder.com and do a search on your zip code. Rural areas are especially bad, many pounds have kill rates of 80% or more, some still use gas chambers. It is very sad.

Old 02-15-2007, 10:37 AM

642 posts, read 2,220,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick_TheRiskTaker View Post
Reading from many of the posts on this forum it seems as though transit issues will continue to be a major issue for the Atlanta area and disucssion about this issue is very important. Sitting around and pretending that the issue will just go away could only have troubling effects on future generations. Being the major city Atlanta is, I do believe that some day transit will improve for the best. Perhaps even being an example for other major cities. I am from the north, but I am not a yankee nor do I like being characterized as one. However, if being from the north qualifies me for thinking about sensible measures to improve another area, than I am excited to be a notherner (for the first time.)
Being a proud Northerner who is just moving down here from Jersey I'm not crazy about being classified as a Yankee either. Especially because I'm a Mets fan who can't stand the Yankeees (LOL). But seriously if thinking forward and proactively leads people to being labled as "Yankees with theri big city ways then so be it. Me thinks perhaps someone is trying to fight his own little civil war here on the forum.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:53 AM

416 posts, read 1,090,895 times
Hasnt anybody said CRIME !

Old 07-07-2009, 10:15 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,104,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nb1968 View Post
Hasnt anybody said CRIME !
I probably should have. It seems to be more of an issue here than where I came from (the Twin Cities is a somewhat smaller metro, admittedly, but still), and it's one of the largest differences that I've seen in my almost five years down here.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:56 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,428,380 times
I also agree and say a well developed, Mass Transit System.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I'd move it 500 miles north so I could visit my family in Minnesota a little more often. :-)
How about moving Minnesota 500 miles South?

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1963 View Post
commuter rail doesn't solve anything. The rail still has to arrive within distance of your job. The infrastructure isn't there, so don't whine about it. Marta would have to greatly increase routes before commuter rail outside the city would work.
I think it would work. What needs to happen, as hard as it may seem to some, is for big counties like Gwinnett, Cobb etc to have their own light rail systems, (same as the L.I.R.R) that run into Marta. You'd see I-85, like night and day.

Well, commuter rail seems to work for millions of people on long island. It boils down to do you want to sit in your car for an hour, or relax on a train and read a book.[/quote]

I'd rather read a book or catch up on some sleep on a nice comfy train seat versus traffic, especially on a rainy day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeweloflight View Post
Forget waterSOURCE, I just want a real coastline, with a beach. Oh, and can somebody open a real New York Style Pizzeria or an Italian Restaurant? Authentic restaurants....that's it, authentic restaurants. I'm sick of being bound in chains. Chains, chains, all up in chains. Chain restaurants, that is.
Agreed on the restaurant . About being near the coast, I don't think I'd want that. Look at South Florida and its hurricane issues. I like Atlanta where it is..

"Long Island traffic is horrible, my g/f's family is from there, I've been to Nassau and Suffox(spelling?) county multiple times on business and personal, traffic there is just as bad if not worse. Small free ways, strip mall central, etc.
Yes it works for for people who work in Manhattan but my experience tells me most people on long island work on long island.[/quote]

(Suffolk County ). I would not say it's worse commuting from Long Island to the city. The distance is greater, yes. Worse? I wouldn't say so. It works for people living on Long Island using the LIRR. I wouldn't say most people living on Long Island work there. They wish they could. Same goes for someone living in Gwinnett working in downtown Atlanta. The difference between the two, is the person living on Long Island has the option to use the LIRR (Long Island Rail Road) to get to the city. That's the beauty of Transit. You have options.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:04 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,051,641 times
YES. Couldn't agree more. Hopefully the Beltline will help in this regard (22 miles of light rail tying into Marta).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc View Post
Deffinitely mass transit / commuter rail and more bus routes to and from the stations.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:27 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,172,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
Getting rid of all they Yankee liberals who move down here. They come down here for a better cost of living, better way of life. Then call everyone who votes differently than them, 'dumb', undeducated. They call everyone racist, rednecks, slow thinkers, slow talkers, etc. I take offense everytime I see someone say something like this.

Seems to me we've been doing things pretty well, for a long time, to be such an attractive area to move to.
But without Northern business people, Atlanta wouldn't be what it is today.

Old 07-11-2009, 05:59 PM

12 posts, read 41,806 times
I wish blacks and whites could maybe get along better. Theres quite a bit of racial tension here which surprises me (The city too busy to hate?). I also would like it if the Georgia State legislature would approve more funding to mass transit. I accuse that body of all but abandoning this city. These people should be voted out of office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta