Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 09:43 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,686,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1963 View Post
They desperately need a commuter rail line. But as history has shown, people ignore the obvious until it is too late.
commuter rail doesn't solve anything. The rail still has to arrive within distance of your job. The infrastructure isn't there, so don't whine about it. Marta would have to greatly increase routes before commuter rail outside the city would work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2007, 12:46 AM

702 posts, read 2,526,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
Getting rid of all they Yankee liberals who move down here. They come down here for a better cost of living, better way of life. Then call everyone who votes differently than them, 'dumb', undeducated. They call everyone racist, rednecks, slow thinkers, slow talkers, etc. I take offense everytime I see someone say something like this.

Seems to me we've been doing things pretty well, for a long time, to be such an attractive area to move to.

I doubt you're a slow talker, but I bet you're a loud one. The thing I would change about Atlanta is the way people from other states stereotype Atlantans. It's almost as bad as when Atlantans stereotype people from other states (not naming names but...). I would eliminate all ignorance and preconceived ideas about any group of people. That covers it both ways.
For the most part Atlanta fine and is always changing and improving.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:52 AM

702 posts, read 2,526,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
I'd change the ease with which we segregate our neighborhoods and communities. Much, if not most of our current traffic and transit problems stem from our segregated housing patterns and the desire to keep them that way. I know I couldn't change hearts and minds, but I could change the actions that people take.
I was surprised to find out how integrated Atlanta actually is...this website uses census data and other research (it's explained on the site) to rank cities according to how segregated they are. Atlanta was far down the list, #55, while NYC and Chicago were #4 and #5. It's interested to find out that perceptions about some cities are not true, while others were about where I thought they would be. Check it out:

http://mumford.albany.edu/census/

Old 02-08-2007, 06:18 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,505,599 times
Wink i'll 2nd that

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
I doubt you're a slow talker, but I bet you're a loud one. The thing I would change about Atlanta is the way people from other states stereotype Atlantans. It's almost as bad as when Atlantans stereotype people from other states (not naming names but...). I would eliminate all ignorance and preconceived ideas about any group of people. That covers it both ways.
For the most part Atlanta fine and is always changing and improving.
As a part of the baby boom--during my formative years in Atlanta 'Everyone' began to move here. I thought that was Great. Didn't know anything else. 'Grow and Change'--seems like They were always telling us/kids that was the way to be. Be openminded, be kind and civic minded. Works for me.

(LOL--'Boomers' will change the world. Not sure we will bring the Age of Aquarius --as they thought in the 60's--with the musical 'Hair'--but yeah, we like change--good change.)

I am glad we are becoming diverse--wish about 1,000,000 Aussies would move here--LOL--those that I have met online are very friendly and seem to enjoy life. We have community resources that can be utilized to meed community needs--the 'Haggling'--expressing of opinions--allocation of funds --there needs to be a better means of decision making. Don't know if that is possible here or anywhere else. I will keep 'Wanting' that.

What a reputation this city must have--speaking of stereotypes--I have experienced it. If it isn't the "KKK' --then Atlanta is too liberal and always too big--thinks too well of itself...I should make a list.

It was established as a commerce center and that is what goes on here. Those that visit me always seem to enjoy the time spent here--maybe they don't want to move here --since 'Home is where the heart is' but they tell me it is a lovely city and want to return.

Old 02-08-2007, 06:47 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,549,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
I was surprised to find out how integrated Atlanta actually is...this website uses census data and other research (it's explained on the site) to rank cities according to how segregated they are. Atlanta was far down the list, #55, while NYC and Chicago were #4 and #5. It's interested to find out that perceptions about some cities are not true, while others were about where I thought they would be. Check it out:

http://mumford.albany.edu/census/
Thanks for that link. While Atlanta may have had the 55th spot on that list, it was still given a rating in the 60's--rated as "very high" in segregation. So while we may not be as "very high" as Chicago and NY, I'm not sure I'd call us integrated. We've still got plenty of work to do.

At least we're not Milwaukee.

Old 02-08-2007, 08:13 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,686,067 times
I'm surprised no one's mentioned major water source. Seems most big cities have a large major water source while Atlanta does not.

Old 02-08-2007, 02:17 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,345,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
I'm surprised no one's mentioned major water source. Seems most big cities have a large major water source while Atlanta does not.
I still think it's funny whenever anybody mentions the water issues that face Georgia. Sure they have some minor issues which are mostly over environmental concerns or Alabama making sure they will have enough water forever, but for those of us from the west where water conservation is more of a way of life Georgia's problems are minute.

Old 02-09-2007, 11:43 AM

279 posts, read 473,113 times
commuter rail doesn't solve anything. The rail still has to arrive within distance of your job. The infrastructure isn't there, so don't whine about it. Marta would have to greatly increase routes before commuter rail outside the city would work.[/quote]

Well, commuter rail seems to work for millions of people on long island. It boils down to do you want to sit in your car for an hour, or relax on a train and read a book.

Old 02-09-2007, 11:49 AM

"I'm surprised no one's mentioned major water source. Seems most big cities have a large major water source while Atlanta does not."

Lake Lanier is the major water source. Atlanta drinking water comes from the chattahooche.

Old 02-09-2007, 12:07 PM

gt wrote: "commuter rail doesn't solve anything. The rail still has to arrive within distance of your job. The infrastructure isn't there, so don't whine about it. Marta would have to greatly increase routes before commuter rail outside the city would work."

I am not whining. Someone asked a survey and i responded. If you don't like my reply that is fine, but there is no need to call me a whiner.
Perhaps you should know the facts before posting; The amtrak line runs from the heart of midtown at peachtree road/I-85 and runs north all the way to new york city, i know cause i have ridden it. It runs very close to I-85 all the way north to lake lanier. A person could go from gwinnett mall to the heart of atlanta on a commuter train. Perhaps you should know your facts before posting un-truths and insulting people who are just trying to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta