Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2008, 07:21 PM

33 posts, read 93,269 times

Advertisements

If anyone lives in Virginia-Highland, could you please let me know how you like it? I am thinking about moving down to Atlanta next year and VH seems like it would be an excellent match for me... I am looking for a quaint, safe neighborhood that is still very close to the action of Atlanta. What kinds of people live there? Would it be easy to make friends? Do you recommend any apartments or streets to live on that are better than others?

Also - where do you grocery shop? Are there stores nearby that reasonably priced? I am not sure how it is all set up but I would like to be able to food shop nearby to my apartment.. not have to go to the other side of the city to get decent groceries.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 07:34 PM

193 posts, read 693,534 times
You cannot do much better than Virginia-Highland

Old 07-22-2008, 09:03 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,908,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martarider View Post
You cannot do much better than Virginia-Highland
If you can afford it.

It's been years since I lived down there, so I'll leave the shopping and new development info to the others, but just to get the poster started, here's the offical "VaHi" link: Virginia Highland :: Atlanta, Georgia . And yes, it's an enjoyable place to live.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:32 PM

90 posts, read 285,348 times
We moved to ATL in January, and have been living in VaHi. The first thing I'd say is that it's fairly expensive...we happened to find a good deal on a rental house, but there are definitely much cheaper areas.

Grocery shopping is very good here...there's a Publix on Ponce (technically Poncey Highland, not VaHi): publix 30306 - Google Maps and also a Trader Joe's very close in Midtown: trader joe's 30306 - Google Maps

The neighborhood is pretty homogenous white, although a couple blocks away there's some low-income housing that apparently somebody forgot to tear down, and that has a mix of diff. types of people. The old-timers here tend toward the old-school hippie/lib (lots of Hillary signs still up) and the newer crowd is a mix of young yuppie couples in houses and recent college grads in apartments. Everyone is very friendly, which is nice. If this sounds like your people, you'll have no trouble making friends. Bar scene is very vibrant and tends just slightly frat boyish, but not too obnoxious. If you're looking for an alternative vibe, this is not the place. If you own any Jack Johnson CDs, you have found your new home.

Long-time residents can probably direct you better as to specific streets, but I'd say if you really want the VaHi vibe, stay close to the intersection of Virginia and Highland. That keeps you a bit away from Ponce (downscale street denizens) and a bit away from Morningside (upscale family types).

Old 07-22-2008, 09:39 PM

33 posts, read 93,269 times
Thank you for your responses! I am looking to spend no more than $850/ month on a 1 BR apartment in VaHi. I have found several apartments at this rate or lower, though most of them were not right near the intersection of Virginia and Highland, rather near Ponce (as mistersocks adviced to stay away from). Would it be bad to live in this area of VaHi? I was looking at Andrew's Court apartment complex; it seems to be a nice facility and it is relatively cheap for the area. Does anyone know anything about this place or have any other suggestions?

Old 07-22-2008, 09:46 PM

23,489 posts, read 44,152,013 times
You can kind of bisect Va-Hi into 4 quadrants, with the intersection of Virginia and Highland in the center. The most 'multi-family' and varied quadrant would be the SW...that's where you're going to find the most apartments (mostly older and no more than 12-15 units or so), and they will mostly be on Ponce de Leon, Drewry and Greenwood.
There will also be some small apartment buildings in the SE quadrant, mostly on Virginia Ave and Briarcliff Place (most of these have gone condo, though).
The NW and NE quadrants are pretty much single family houses except for the erstwhile duplex. Amsterdam Ave is the northern boundary of Va-Hi, then you enter Morningside.

I think that this management company has some cool apt bldgs in Va-Hi:

www.bradenfellman.com

Old 07-23-2008, 07:37 AM

269 posts, read 1,070,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTeacher1 View Post
Thank you for your responses! I am looking to spend no more than $850/ month on a 1 BR apartment in VaHi. I have found several apartments at this rate or lower, though most of them were not right near the intersection of Virginia and Highland, rather near Ponce (as mistersocks adviced to stay away from). Would it be bad to live in this area of VaHi? I was looking at Andrew's Court apartment complex; it seems to be a nice facility and it is relatively cheap for the area. Does anyone know anything about this place or have any other suggestions?
That's okay, as long as you're north of Ponce. In fact, there are some great "prewar" apartments in the area (although some of them have gone condo), if that's to your taste.

Oh, let me look up Andrew's Court. . . .

Well, that's going to be noisy. I'd advise a trip to Atlanta and a visit to the specific apartment on Friday or Saturday night. The apartments per se look great, but they're cheap for a reason.

Or, spend a little more and get something almost anywhere to the north. Actually, you might want to rent one of these for a year and plan to move, since you're going to have to know your way around and be in Atlanta to get a good deal on a good apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: