Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2012, 07:35 PM

2 posts, read 2,632 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I'm moving from the Midwest to ATL for the summer for an internship. I'm subletting a place in the Virginia-Highland neighborhood and know next to nothing about it. What can you tell me about it? Specifically, I'm wondering - is this a safe neighborhood? What are the best things to do/good restaurants/bars to eat at? And finally, how terrible will my commute be from VA Highlands to near the Dekald-Peachtree airport near North Atlanta?

Any advice for an out-of-towner would also be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 08:18 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,890,885 times
virginia-highland is one of the safest neighbourhoods in town. it is right near piedmont park, which is sort of our version of central park. there is a lot of stuff to do, bars and restaurants, it's very walkable. you'll love it.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:13 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,835,459 times
Great area. The commute to PDK isn't too long (under 10 miles), but might get frustrating at times as roads like Clairmont and Buford Highway can get congested.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:31 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,915,624 times
Virginia-Highlands is a great neighborhood. Very walkable, has lots of parks, and lots of nightlife.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:57 AM

32,036 posts, read 36,869,761 times
I love Virginia-Highland and you couldn't go wrong there.

However, if I were working at PDK I'd also give serious consideration to Brookhaven. Lots to do there, pretty walkable, and only 5 minutes to the airport.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:42 PM

2 posts, read 2,632 times
Great - thanks for all the feedback! Sounds like it's going to be a great place to live.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:51 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,085,095 times
Quote:
I love Virginia-Highland and you couldn't go wrong there.
It's tough to go wrong in Virginia-Highland.

The problem is, it's not an incorporated city, so there are no "clear" definitions of what entails Virginia-Highland. Therefore, you can get screwed renting places that claim to be in Virgnia-Highland that most people would never consider to be part of the neighborhood. If you post the street you are on in this thread, people will be able to tell you if it is really in the Virginia-Highland neighborhood or not. The area is, unfortunately, bordered by some not-so-great areas. Not terrible, just not that great.

Regarding your commute, spend time looking at maps. During rush hour, you will quickly learn that roads like Briarcliff and Clairmont are to be avoided. There are tons of small roads in and out of the area. Off the top of my head, I know you can take N. Highland, veer to the left on Lenox, and it will put you out on Cheshire Bridge, which you can take to I-85 or just take Buford Highway up. Once you learn how to navigate, I thnk you will find that there are plenty of alternate routes and you can take whichever one is most approrpriate for whatever is going on that day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta