Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 01:52 PM

87 posts, read 454,968 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about looking into moving to the Virginia Highland area. Does anyone think I can find a small home to buy for around $200,000 or a townhome with a small yard? Also, how expensive is the property taxes there. Is the area safe? I like living close to the cafes and shops within walking distance and the park since I have a golden retriever.
Thanks for anyones help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2006, 02:00 PM

92 posts, read 659,630 times
You may be able to find a one bedroom studio for that (small condo). VA high is a very expensive place to live. Try $500K on up to the millions. There are a few homes that you might be able to rent for a reasonable price.

B

Old 09-18-2006, 09:15 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,908,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden0721 View Post
I was thinking about looking into moving to the Virginia Highland area. Does anyone think I can find a small home to buy for around $200,000 or a townhome with a small yard? Also, how expensive is the property taxes there. Is the area safe? I like living close to the cafes and shops within walking distance and the park since I have a golden retriever.
Thanks for anyones help.
----------------------

Let's put it this way, it's inner-city Atlanta so it's not Mayberry (in terms of crime) but it's not one of the worse intown neighborhoods, either.

Price wise, typical homes run in the $295,000+ area, but you MIGHT find a small bungalo type house in your range in the "fixer upper" category if you ask a real estate agent to specificially look for that. Otherwise, yeah, it's a small condo route. Be careful about those, too. There are a lot of "condo conversions" intown now... apartments that have been converted into condos. You do NOT want a conversion. "Real" condos are usually built with better sound insulation and a certain level of firewalls (nicer ones even have sprinkler systems). Apartment conversions usually just get new paint and carpet and updated kitchens; you're still stuck with "apartment level" noise and fire control (which isn't good in most places here).

Old 09-18-2006, 09:34 PM

23 posts, read 182,662 times
golden0721, I tend to agree with atlantagreg about the condo conversions in virgina highland. But I do know of one condo conversion that I would recommend. The developer has managed the building for 15-20 years and kept the charm and character but updated ALL the systems (electrical, plumbing, etc) and added new insulation, new energy windows, and the building has its own parking lot (a big plus for this area). And the condo fees are actually very affordable. After doing my "homework" on the property I actually purchased a unit for investment. There are 2 buildings, with I believe a total of 44 units and now there are only 4 units remaining. Let me know if you'd like more info. Trying to locate a home in your price range, if it could be found, it would require extensive renovations. But if you're open to it, good luck.

Old 09-19-2006, 09:17 AM

1,088 posts, read 6,345,278 times
I have many friends and acquaintances who live in Virginia Highlands and unfortunately you are not going to be able to find a house or town home there in your price range. Most of the nice renovated bungalows are going for $500,000 -$600,000. The bungalows which are falling apart are advertised as a house to tear down and build a new one. These are going for $400,000. In other words empty lots are going for $400,000!

For $250,000 you might want to look further south in areas like Cabbage Town or East Atlanta. These are up and coming areas which you can probably find something in your price range. There isn’t going to be as much life night around but there is still some, and the crime will be higher but it isn’t bad. Give it five years and these areas will be just like Virginia Highlands. Just depends on if you are willing to wait that long.

Old 09-19-2006, 10:22 AM

87 posts, read 454,968 times
Thanks for everyones advise. Is the crime really that bad. Why would people pay $500,000 to $600,000 to live there when crime is bad there? How about Little five points. How is that area? Thanks again.

Old 09-19-2006, 11:03 AM

92 posts, read 659,630 times
The crime is not bad in VA high. What xman was saying is that crime is bad in East Atlanta and Cabbage town. These are transitioning areas and you could probably afford a nicely renovated 3/2 for 200k. A couple of my friends started renting over there and quickly moved out a month later after 5 of their neighbors got broken into (two had their A/C's stolen). If you're willing to wait it out, you will have made a nice investment.

The thing is with transition areas is that crime usually gets worse before it gets better. VA high is not transitioning, it is already there :-)

Old 09-19-2006, 09:45 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,908,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden0721 View Post
Thanks for everyones advise. Is the crime really that bad. Why would people pay $500,000 to $600,000 to live there when crime is bad there? How about Little five points. How is that area? Thanks again.
--------------------

Little Five points is where you find all the folks with purple spiked hair and 15 earrings in each ear. A few drag queens, the guy with nipple rings that connect to his lips, etc.

Old 09-28-2006, 02:37 PM

71 posts, read 706,615 times
Smile Little Five Points

Aw, com'on now, they are fixing up the Little Five Points area and have some pretty neat homes off from it. I was really surprised.

My DH and I lived in Virginia/Highlands area when we were newly married 40 years ago. It was - and is - a delightful little place. ("Driving Miss Daisy" was filmed right along there and I shopped at that same Piggly Wiggly!!) I dare say you could find a nice house within your price range on one of the side roads.

Old 10-11-2006, 10:55 PM

45 posts, read 61,453 times
It all depends on what you are looking for. As you all know I am a Realtor so I look at market trends and what is happening in many different areas. It just so happens that I have been following the Highlands, Grant Park, Inman Park and the surrounding areas. You can find a 1/1 upgraded in the heart of the Highlands for about 210k. And that's loaded, stainless steel, granite, hardwoods...Now if you go about 6 miles away into like Grant Park you can find a 3/2 for about 220k also upgraded to the tee. It all depends on what you want. There are homes that need to be rehabbed, there are condos, and there are bungalows all in or around the Highlands. I ate there last night and then had a drink with a client who I just recently sold a home for in that area. Lots of options and I must commend your taste as I love that area myslef and have a place there as well. Actually .9 miles from Neighbors in Midtown. Well good luck and I hope I helped a bit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta