Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2008, 08:30 PM

33 posts, read 93,155 times

Advertisements

I am not really a city girl.. so I am not sure I really understand the types of places that people are talking about when they refer to Buckhead or Virginia Highland. I understand that they aren't in downtown Atlanta.. but are they safe areas? Do you feel like you are living in a suburb or more of an urban area? I don't want to live in the inner city but I want to be close to the action, if that makes sense.

If you were a 23 year old single female who is looking for a job teaching in a relatively decent school district near Atlanta.. who likes nightlife but isn't a CRAZY partier.. and really just wants to be in a safe area with people her age... would you say that Buckhead or the Virginia Highland area is a better match?

I do not mind commuting to a district 30 or 40 minutes... I want to be near the action of Atlanta but still want to be in a safe area that is relatively close to a nice school... if that's possible... ?

Also.. if any one is familar with the areas of NYC who could maybe compare the areas of Buckhead or Virginia Highland to areas of NYC just so I have some idea what they are like before visiting them that would be AWESOME!!

Thanks in a advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 08:49 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,738,232 times
Virginia Highland is more like Brooklyn Heights and Buckhead is more like...hmm...can't make much of a comparison because it's fairly spread out. Maybe a dash of 5th avenue around the 50s. VA/Hi is more quaint than Buckhead. You also may want to check into Vinings which is close to all and has a fun pulse to it.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:54 PM

13 posts, read 54,464 times
Virginia Highlands is more of a neighborhood with cute little boutiques, restaurants, and bars. It is a village type area with an artsy feel and people walking their dogs and so on... VH is located east of midtown and has some very well kept homes with character, but no big business or tall buildings etc... To me, Buckhead is much larger and has many different areas. Lenox square and Phipps Plaza are large shopping malls with probably the most upscale shopping you will find in Atlanta. Around that area are many highrises of condos and office buildings. This area of Buckhead has its own skyline and has an "uptown" or "cosmopolitan" feel to it (at least for atlanta...remember atlanta is not anything like new york so try not to compare the two because it does not work) As you go south on peachtree they are building a place called the streets of buckhead which is going to have shopping with some designer stores that this city has never seen. Also, many of the neighborhoods in Buckhead have so many mansions and you have to be wealthy to live in those of course. There are more apartment communities in Buckhead while VH has more old homes turned into apartments with like 4 units or something. Buckhead probably has more nightlife, but VH is right around the corner from midtown which has plenty of nightlife as well as having its own cute places with patios that are actually in VH. I wouldn't say that either have a suburban feel because they both are in the city. To be honest the two aren't really comparable! You might want to look into the city of decatur. As far as schools i can't help you there as i don't have kids. Hope this helps a little

Old 07-15-2008, 06:27 AM

308 posts, read 1,037,769 times
Buckhead encompasses a large area with a lot of high end homes, condos, retail etc. VA Hi is more low key but close to a lot- Piedmont Park, Ansley, Ponce, Downtown etc

Old 07-15-2008, 11:26 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,068,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettea1 View Post
Virginia Highland is more like Brooklyn Heights and Buckhead is more like...hmm...can't make much of a comparison because it's fairly spread out. Maybe a dash of 5th avenue around the 50s. VA/Hi is more quaint than Buckhead. You also may want to check into Vinings which is close to all and has a fun pulse to it.
Except for the Peachtree Corridor and the Buckhead Loop, the majority of Buckhead does indeed feel suburban...it and its' neighbor Brookhaven feel much like the Connecticut 'Gold Coast' towns; Greenwich, Darien, New Canaan...

Last edited by Iconographer; 07-15-2008 at 11:57 AM..

Old 09-05-2009, 07:36 PM

16,693 posts, read 29,511,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrb View Post
Virginia Highlands is more of a neighborhood with cute little boutiques, restaurants, and bars. It is a village type area with an artsy feel and people walking their dogs and so on... VH is located east of midtown and has some very well kept homes with character, but no big business or tall buildings etc... To me, Buckhead is much larger and has many different areas. Lenox square and Phipps Plaza are large shopping malls with probably the most upscale shopping you will find in Atlanta. Around that area are many highrises of condos and office buildings. This area of Buckhead has its own skyline and has an "uptown" or "cosmopolitan" feel to it (at least for atlanta...remember atlanta is not anything like new york so try not to compare the two because it does not work) As you go south on peachtree they are building a place called the streets of buckhead which is going to have shopping with some designer stores that this city has never seen. Also, many of the neighborhoods in Buckhead have so many mansions and you have to be wealthy to live in those of course. There are more apartment communities in Buckhead while VH has more old homes turned into apartments with like 4 units or something. Buckhead probably has more nightlife, but VH is right around the corner from midtown which has plenty of nightlife as well as having its own cute places with patios that are actually in VH. I wouldn't say that either have a suburban feel because they both are in the city. To be honest the two aren't really comparable! You might want to look into the city of decatur. As far as schools i can't help you there as i don't have kids. Hope this helps a little

People, let's learn...

Virginia-Highland

*Notice the hyphen and lack of an "s".

Old 09-05-2009, 08:05 PM

172 posts, read 393,613 times
LovinDecatur: Absolutely. I generally describe Buckhead as "suburbia with skyscrapers" given the tendency for shopping malls, strip malls, and lack of sidewalks when you leave the main drag.

Aries4118: Tell em! That irks me too and I'm very cool to Va-Hi.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:53 PM

16,693 posts, read 29,511,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZaakir View Post
LovinDecatur: Absolutely. I generally describe Buckhead as "suburbia with skyscrapers" given the tendency for shopping malls, strip malls, and lack of sidewalks when you leave the main drag.

Aries4118: Tell em! That irks me too and I'm very cool to Va-Hi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta