Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 12:14 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,911,741 times

Advertisements

Folks down in Fayette County are all in a tizzy over this. Some say it's needed. Some say it's ridiculous overkill. Others say they are afraid to go to the Fayette Pavilion in broad daylight much less at night to see a movie, and haven't been "in years" because it is "dangerous" and "unsafe" (re: lots of black people shop there).

Let's just ignore the fact that there's a police precinct and fire department in the middle of the Pavilion, or that crime stats show there's less crime there than there was 15 years ago, or that Fayetteville and Fayette County are among the safest and lowest-crime suburbs in all of Metro Atlanta

BUT I DIGRESS: Shoukd kids U-18 be banned from a theater on weekends without an adult chaperone 21 and older? Talk amongst yourselves and share feedback.

Fayetteville movie sets parent chaperone rule for under-17s | TheCitizen.com

Fayette News / Fayetteville cinema setting stricter curfew for children - Fayette News

Fayetteville movie theater imposes weekend curfew | WAGA

http://www.cbs46.com/story/31797430/...r-hangout-spot

Last edited by Newsboy; 05-20-2016 at 12:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 12:38 PM

376 posts, read 330,305 times
It is ridiculous paranoia. Going to the movies with friends in the summer as a teenager is about as American a tradition as you can get. The movie theaters are going to put themselves out of business. If they think that the teens they spend so much effort trying to keep away are going to suddenly start showing up in droves once they turn 21 they are crazy.

Old 05-20-2016, 12:48 PM

1,057 posts, read 867,660 times
Lol wow. So you're telling me that 16 and 17 year olds, who are legally allowed to drive, can't go to the movies after 6 pm without their mommy? Hilarious!

Old 05-20-2016, 12:52 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,749,903 times
They arent being racist. I was once a teen. I know teens in that area of the metro probably are bored and the movie theater is the closest place for them to hang out. You know how teens are. Its probably just too many of them acting a fool.

Old 05-20-2016, 01:35 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,911,741 times
JUST A LITTLE BACKGROUND: The only theater in South Fulton is way up at Camp Creek. The only theater in Clayton is way over on Mount Zion. Until a few years ago, there wasn't a theater in Griffin or even Henry County. When Tinseltown opened 20 years ago, it wasn't just the BIGGEST theater in South Metro ATL ... it was one of the only ones (I think there might have been one still at Shannon and in Riverdale at the time, but they've long since closed).

POINT BEING: A lot of the moviegoers at Tinseltown do not live in Fayette County. And that's the real issue with a lot of the locals. You can read between those lines pretty clearly, I think.

There's a NCG theater in Coweta County just across the line from Peachtree City (PTC ordinances don't allow for buildings that large). It's not as nice nor as big as Tinseltown. But some Fayetteville residents will drive all the way over there to see a movie .... just because ... well ... you know.

Old 05-20-2016, 01:58 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,627,599 times
This can't be good news for their millenial campaign.

Old 05-20-2016, 02:00 PM

7,352 posts, read 6,521,770 times
Overkill, yes, but it's their right to overkill if they want as a private establishment. While I may not agree with it, I won't have a problem with it until it's the government creating and enforcing it. Yes, I realize it was at the "request" of the Police, but the emphasis is request, the theater didn't have to do it.

Old 05-20-2016, 02:37 PM

376 posts, read 330,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Overkill, yes, but it's their right to overkill if they want as a private establishment. While I may not agree with it, I won't have a problem with it until it's the government creating and enforcing it. Yes, I realize it was at the "request" of the Police, but the emphasis is request, the theater didn't have to do it.
It's also their 'right' as a private establishment to go out of business if enough people stay away because of their stupid policies.

Old 05-20-2016, 05:07 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,741,019 times
I know this isn't gonna be popular in College Park, guess the South Fulton kids are going to Camp Creek now. Watch them revoke this move after their weekend numbers drop.

Old 05-20-2016, 05:19 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
I'm okay with this but I'd push the time back to 10 pm so the kids have a chance to see the movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta