Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 09:29 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,235,222 times

Advertisements

As much as I think, um, know, Texas overstates its greatness, I think they have great potential to pull it off.

They have a perfect corridor to pull it off. I-45 b/t Houston and Dallas is absolutely miserable. I like to drive, I even look forward to somewhat long drives, but that is one of the most unpleasant drives I have ever experienced. That interstate is at capacity and it will only get worse.

The idea of a subsidy free rail corridor is awesome. I pray they pull it off. It will be good for us and the rest of the country.

I hope someone in Georgia is striking up a conversation with J.R. Central.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 11:48 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,930,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
As much as I think, um, know, Texas overstates its greatness, I think they have great potential to pull it off.

They have a perfect corridor to pull it off. I-45 b/t Houston and Dallas is absolutely miserable. I like to drive, I even look forward to somewhat long drives, but that is one of the most unpleasant drives I have ever experienced. That interstate is at capacity and it will only get worse.

The idea of a subsidy free rail corridor is awesome. I pray they pull it off. It will be good for us and the rest of the country.

I hope someone in Georgia is striking up a conversation with J.R. Central.
Texas is definitely one of those states that could pull it off. They have the resources and pride. I drove 45 in rural areas a couple times and it wasn't too bad but it wasn't during a major travel period so it could certainly be worse like you said.

Downtown Dallas to downtown Houston on Google maps was about 240 miles on I 45. What is it for Atlanta to Charlotte on I -85? Not even 250 miles. So practically the same. No, Atlanta isn't quite as large as Houston or Dallas and Charlotte certainly isn't but go a little farther northeast and you'll get to Raleigh Durham. And you also the Greenville area in SC which adds considerable traffic to 85. If DFW to Houston can work, so can Atlanta to Charlotte or maybe Raleigh. But getting 3 states to work together can be difficult. That's one advantage Texas has. They may bicker about which city is better but they are at least in the same state.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:59 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,129,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
once again, the merits of a charlotte-atlanta-raleigh line could be tremendous for our region.
Not sure if they are big enough, and the terrain along the way is not very conducive to HSR. Texas however is ideal.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:00 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,129,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
As much as I think, um, know, Texas overstates its greatness,
Hey, Georgia don't mess with Texas!

Old 08-18-2014, 01:02 PM

7,352 posts, read 6,521,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Not sure if they are big enough, and the terrain along the way is not very conducive to HSR. Texas however is ideal.
The terrain is fine and isn't an issue for ATL-CLT HSR.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
You are apparently there, so you know what I'm talking about

Texas Edition trucks
random outbursts of the Texas A&M war hymm
the rodeo
yellow queso...

Old 08-18-2014, 02:37 PM

708 posts, read 999,091 times
Quote:
Could you press CTRL ALT DELETE, ENTER ..... PLEASE?

Old 08-18-2014, 03:48 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,130,043 times
I actually hope that the Texas HSR project succeeds, and it should; JR Central (officially the Central Japan Railway Company) does an amazing job with their high-speed rail line, the popular and profitable Toukaidou shinkansen (Tokyo-Osaka). The high-speed rail project in Texas should be in good hands technology and operations-wise.

However, we must be careful with planning for HSR, for the execution may not match up with the proposal. For example, there's the ongoing HSR boondoggle in California. Looked great as a proposal, but there have been enormous cost overruns, date setbacks, and court cases.

- skbl17

Old 08-18-2014, 03:55 PM

7,352 posts, read 6,521,770 times
I'm also concerned about the equipment the Texas HSR will use. If they use the Shinkansen, it will be an isolated system, as well as being unable to use existing right of way to access the city centers. The Shinkansen is too wide for the rest of our railroad system so if we ever build a connecting HSR network, it will force a transfer.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
However, we must be careful with planning for HSR, for the execution may not match up with the proposal. For example, there's the ongoing HSR boondoggle in California. Looked great as a proposal, but there have been enormous cost overruns, date setbacks, and court cases.

- skbl17
That's exactly why I wish for Texas' success with HSR. I do not want California's experience to define HSR in the US. California's experience will probably be primarily used as a reason not to invest in rail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta