Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 02:55 PM

7 posts, read 12,975 times

Advertisements

The Georgia Department of Transportation (DOT) is seeking a consultant to study the feasibility of building a high-speed rail line linking Atlanta and Columbus, Ga.
The state agency put out a request for proposals Thursday seeking bids for the study, which also will be overseen by the city of Columbus and the Federal Rail Administration.
A recent study commissioned by the Georgia DOT and state transportation agencies in Alabama, Tennessee and Kentucky found high-speed rail feasible in the Southeast, a region long considered problematic for passenger rail because of the distance between major cities.
Columbus officials have been talking up an Atlanta-to-Columbus high-speed rail line as a way to connect their city with Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, making Columbus viable as the site of a second airport serving metro Atlanta.
A cost-benefit analysis conducted by Hartsfield-Jackson officials last year found that no feasible site exists for a second airport inside the metro region.
Consulting firms interested in the Atlanta-to-Columbus rail line study have until Sept. 21 to submit bids. The study is expected to cost about $300,000.

Agency to study Atlanta-to-Columbus high-speed rail - Atlanta Business Chronicle

The state is really serious about this second airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 03:20 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,965,171 times
So clearly they're considering building a new airport in Columbus to connect with the rail right? Because there's no existing tracks or right-of-way to even get it to the current airport. Not to mention the extra airplane noise that the residents surrounding the airport would complain about (especially if there's some sort of expansion). This would be very expensive all around...

Old 08-15-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
So clearly they're considering building a new airport in Columbus to connect with the rail right? Because there's no existing tracks or right-of-way to even get it to the current airport. Not to mention the extra airplane noise that the residents surrounding the airport would complain about (especially if there's some sort of expansion). This would be very expensive all around...
Build? The Columbus Airport will undergo renovation.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:37 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,491,164 times
japan has high speed rail. most ride the bus bek its 1/3 the cost. i was there this year.
obama and congress are trying to buy votes with the biggest pork barrel since public works in the 1930's.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageColumbus92 View Post
Build? The Columbus Airport will undergo renovation.
Ok, so then, like I said, there's no existing tracks or right-of-way to even get it to the current airport. Where would the rail go? If underground, it will be ridiculously expensive. And with the airport being hemmed in with neighborhoods (even the ones directly in-line with the runaway on the other side of 185), residents will definitely complain about the extra noise that will come with increased and larger airlines.

I'd love the idea of Columbus getting an extra boost that would come with all this, but get ready for the study to deem this "unfeasible."

Old 08-15-2012, 03:48 PM

I don't know about the old rails to Atlanta,alco89.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Ok, so then, like I said, there's no existing tracks or right-of-way to even get it to the current airport. Where would the rail go? If underground, it will be ridiculously expensive. And with the airport being hemmed in with neighborhoods (even the ones directly in-line with the runaway on the other side of 185), residents will definitely complain about the extra noise that will come with increased and larger airlines.

I'd love the idea of Columbus getting an extra boost that would come with all this, but get ready for the study to deem this "unfeasible."
Think.

Where was the old Columbus train station located at? Downtown. I highly doubt that IF this rail get build,its ending point wouldn't be at the airport. But somewhere downtown

Old 08-15-2012, 04:20 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,874,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
japan has high speed rail. most ride the bus bek its 1/3 the cost. i was there this year.
obama and congress are trying to buy votes with the biggest pork barrel since public works in the 1930's.
Most do not ride the bus , Intercity Bus Ridership only accounts for 10% of the Travel share , Air wins for long Distance jumps and Rail covers everything else or 80% of Traveling....

Old 08-15-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageColumbus92 View Post
Think.

Where was the old Columbus train station located at? Downtown. I highly doubt that IF this rail get build,its ending point wouldn't be at the airport. But somewhere downtown
Well, if that's the case, I just don't see how one can help the other. I mean, who'd pay money to ride a train from Atlanta to Columbus just to have to catch a bus or shuttle to the Columbus airport? If they're going to package these two together, the high speed rail would need to at least stop by the airport on the way to downtown Columbus. Otherwise, why presume the rail would benefit the airport?

Old 08-15-2012, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Well, if that's the case, I just don't see how one can help the other. I mean, who'd pay money to ride a train from Atlanta to Columbus just to have to catch a bus or shuttle to the Columbus airport? If they're going to package these two together, the high speed rail would need to at least stop by the airport on the way to downtown Columbus. Otherwise, why presume the rail would benefit the airport?
Quote:
If they're going to package these two together, the high speed rail would need to at least stop by the airport on the way to downtown Columbus.
I agree. If this does get off ground,the Fall Line Trace will be a great place to put a rail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA