Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 04:43 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,661,029 times

Advertisements

Great news on high-speed rail!

Mayor Teresa Tomlinson, Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed and State Rep. Calvin Smyre were part of a delegation that met today with high-ranking federal officials on the subject of the proposed rail line between Columbus and Atlanta.

The delegation met with Joseph C. Szabo, the administrator of the Federal Railroad Administration, Secretary of Transportation Anthony Foxx and members of Vice President Joe Biden’s senior staff to pitch the proposed line between Georgia’s two largest cities.

In 2012, Tomlinson appointed a 30-person passenger rail commission to study the proposal, and then commissioned a $360,000 feasibility study, which was funded with a Georgia Department of Transportation grant and local private donations.

The consulting firm the conducted the study, HNTB Corp., developed three possible rail proposals, which it estimated would cost from $1.3 to $3.9 billion dollars over a 20-year span. That study concluded that the most expensive of the proposals, a rail line following the rights of way of Interstates 85 and 185 at speeds from 150-220 mph, could be profitable in its first year of operation. The positive findings of that study were presented in Washington today and are one reason Columbus is on the map when it comes to passenger rail.

The rail line will run only 90 miles, which is bite-sized compared to a lot of other proposed projects around the country. We also have a known history of successful public-private partnerships in Columbus.

The next step is to seek a grant to perform the Phase 1 National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) study, which is necessary before the project can move forward. After that and another NEPA study are performed, the project will enter preliminary design, then final design stages before any necessary right of way acquisition can be done. That could take as long as 18 years, the report states, and then construction could take another two years.

The project could produce as many as 11,000 new jobs, but as important as that would be connecting Columbus to the state’s largest economic engine.

According to Tomlinson, it's literally about making Atlanta a bedroom community of Columbus and Columbus a bedroom community of Atlanta.

Glad to see this moving forward at a fast pace. Makes sense to me to have Georgia's 2 largest cities connected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 05:09 PM

322 posts, read 587,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
According to Tomlinson, it's literally about making Atlanta a bedroom community of Columbus and Columbus a bedroom community of Atlanta.

Glad to see this moving forward at a fast pace. Makes sense to me to have Georgia's 2 largest cities connected.
Why is Columbus so excited to possibly become a bedroom community of Atlanta? Considering that Columbus is more than an 100 miles away from Atlanta, saying that Columbus could even possibly be one of Atlanta's bedroom communities is plain crazy. That's like saying that Savannah could be Augusta's bedroom community, as well as Charleston's. Why don't we call Augusta Columbia's bedroom community while we are at it?!? I don't think I even need to comment on the statement about Atlanta being Columbus' bedroom community. To me it doesn't make sense to have a rail between Columbus and Atlanta. The demand for it is very one sided. It will generally benefit Columbus by being connected to Atlanta, plus I don't think I know anyone in Atlanta that desires to have high speed access to Columbus(of all places) although I'm sure a lot of people in Columbus would love to have easy access to Atlanta. It makes more sense to me that there would be a rail between Atlanta and Macon. Those two have more of a relationship than Atlanta and Columbus. I'm not dissing Columbus, its just my opinion.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -StarBright- View Post
Why is Columbus so excited to possibly become a bedroom community of Atlanta? Considering that Columbus is more than an 100 miles away from Atlanta, saying that Columbus could even possibly be one of Atlanta's bedroom communities is plain crazy. That's like saying that Savannah could be Augusta's bedroom community, as well as Charleston's. Why don't we call Augusta Columbia's bedroom community while we are at it?!? I don't think I even need to comment on the statement about Atlanta being Columbus' bedroom community. To me it doesn't make sense to have a rail between Columbus and Atlanta. The demand for it is very one sided. It will generally benefit Columbus by being connected to Atlanta, plus I don't think I know anyone in Atlanta that desires to have high speed access to Columbus(of all places) although I'm sure a lot of people in Columbus would love to have easy access to Atlanta. It makes more sense to me that there would be a rail between Atlanta and Macon. Those two have more of a relationship than Atlanta and Columbus. I'm not dissing Columbus, its just my opinion.
Apparently a lot of people see the demand, including Kasim Reed. I guarantee he has plenty of things to occupy his time. It's obvious he wants this to happen. So much good momentum happening with this project. Can't wait to see Columbus be the first city outside of Atlanta with high-speed rail .

Last edited by Columbus1984; 08-13-2014 at 06:13 PM..

Old 08-13-2014, 06:22 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,979,249 times
Quote:
While I understand your sentiments here, I think you're taking it a bit far. I also think the last paragraph you quoted was exaggerated too. The key here is having an alternative connection between two major Georgia cities. I can see more benefit to Columbus with this project, but there is nothing wrong with that.
I don't forsee it becoming a sprawl problem aka making them "bedroom communities" to one another.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
While I understand your sentiments here, I think you're taking it a bit far. I also think the last paragraph you quoted was exaggerated too. The key here is having an alternative connection between two major Georgia cities. I can see more benefit to Columbus with this project, but there is nothing wrong with that.
I don't forsee it becoming a sprawl problem aka making them "bedroom communities" to one another.
Exactly my point. The idea with rail is not to bring Columbus and Atlanta together in one massive suburban hell. It's to connect Georgia's 2 largest cities together. To help each city, especially Columbus, feed off of each other. This will help push Columbus to the next level. Imagine being able to work at Coca-Cola and take a train from Columbus in 1 hour. You can be there faster from Columbus by train than someone from Alpharetta or John's Creek driving downtown due to the traffic. Imagine Atlanta traffic 20+ years from now when this rail is slated to be finished. I would gladly jump on a train for 1 hour or less than drive 1.5-2 hours one way by car. This could pay huge dividends for Columbus, especially with recruiting more industry.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:04 PM

322 posts, read 603,719 times
Yea, why would Atl want a direct line for 300,000 people to be able to visit Atlanta? Help me out here Star, what would people from the Valley area do in Atlanta? People who now have access to technology that allows them to go to and from "the big city" with ease and convenience?

Old 08-13-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRiverRd View Post
Yea, why would Atl want a direct line for 300,000 people to be able to visit Atlanta? Help me out here Star, what would people from the Valley area do in Atlanta? People who now have access to technology that allows them to go to and from "the big city" with ease and convenience?
Great post. Heck I would put it at more than 300,000. I'd incorporate the entire CSA and farther points south. How cool would it be if people from South Georgia and South Alabama came up to Columbus to catch the train for a game at the new Falcons stadium or a concert at Piedmont Park or to catch a flight at Hartsfield. The market potential is huge. Keep in mind this is 20 years into the future so the population will be considerably larger if Columbus and A/O grow at their current rates.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:54 PM

841 posts, read 1,403,993 times
Quote:

StarBright.... Well said.... I agree with you it makes more sense to have rail between Atlanta and Macon for many reasons plus the state of Ga and all of the counties in between have jumped aboard and have even allocated some funds towards this project. Reality speaking the Atlanta to MCN will without a doubt, be the first connection completed. The push for this project by the state is already underway and according to site the Georgia Commuter Rail from Atlanta to Griffin – the first phase of a 103-mile line from Atlanta to Macon – is the quickest, most economical option for new rail transit in Georgia. The proposed line connects every existing transit system in the region, as well as planned statewide connections. Because land is plentiful and inexpensive south of I-20, Atlanta’s growth engine can be re-started in this corridor, and once the funding is secured, the entire line could be complete in less than five years. NOT 18 years Norfolk Southern freight trains slice through Clayton County on those rails, which connect Atlanta, Macon and the port of Savannah.

Atlanta’s transit operator is in preliminary talks with Norfolk Southern about using that rail or its right of way for commuter trains. The Metro Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority’s full pitch to Clayton voters is a bus network throughout the county plus a yet-to-be finalized rapid transit option. One of those rapid transit options, pending talks with Norfolk Southern, is rush-hour passenger service via the rails from Jonesboro to East Point by 2022. In East Point, train passengers could transfer to the MARTA subway.

A $45 million pot of money is already set aside in Washington for construction of facilities on any Atlanta-Griffin-Macon surface transportation project that meets Federal Transit Administration approval. Also there is a lot federal support toward four Southeast states that has developed its own intrastate rail programs and transportation priorities. Among the highest priorities for Georgia are connecting Macon and Atlanta by rail and improving rail passenger service between Savannah and Jacksonville, FL.

TEA-21 authorized $29.3 million for design and construction of the Atlanta - Macon corridor and also designated the corridor segment from Atlanta to Griffin as an FTA "new start." In Georgia's current State Transportation Improvement Program (STIP), $45 million is programmed for the Atlanta - Macon corridor to complete the rail infrastructure evaluation and begin final design and construction for the reintroduction of rail passenger service. The Department has also applied for a Section 1103 (c) grade crossing hazard elimination grant for the Atlanta to Macon and the Savannah to Jacksonville SEHSR segments.

Georgians For Passenger Rail

Research and Studies « Georgians For Passenger Rail

Last edited by NewtownMacon; 08-13-2014 at 09:11 PM..

Old 08-14-2014, 08:36 AM

Columbus Mayor in D.C. to push high-speed rail to Atlanta - Atlanta Business Chronicle

Lets make this happen!

Old 08-14-2014, 10:53 AM

446 posts, read 678,655 times
maybe a good thing. I talked too a couple I know from the Columbus area they would love it for as the job part being able to work at different places and just visit whenever they ready. some people in the atlanta though are wondering why not savannah most saying it makes more sense because savannah offers the beach and culturally different from each other compared to Columbus. i wouldn't know never been to savannah but i have stayed in a city that almost similar to savannah but i know about Columbus area all the way to Opelika just traveling that way going back home to Atlanta from Mobile. it may just be good for Columbus and the I-85/I-185 corridor to Atlanta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA