Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 10:13 AM

17 posts, read 20,178 times

Advertisements

Following is the list of apartments which Promove recommended. Appreciate any comments or suggestions about them.

Hamptons at East CObb
Heights of Kennesaw
Post Crest
Bell-Vinings
Belmont Place
Post Brookhaven
Hannover Grand
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 11:00 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,784,472 times
Bell Vinings is the other new one that I could not remember the name of - appears to be very nice. I would also Walton Riverwood right around the corner.

You typically can't go wrong with a Post property although Post Brookhaven would be a longer commute for your husband.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:33 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,044,479 times
I am going to break with convention. I almost always tell people to live in town first and worry about hitting the suburbs later. I don't know what kind of commute your husband expects, but I would consider living in the midtown-ish area. You should be able to find a 2 bedroom in your rent range. His reverse commute would be no longer than 20-30 minutes and you would end up in town being able to walk to many places.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:24 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,832,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyshree View Post
Following is the list of apartments which Promove recommended. Appreciate any comments or suggestions about them.

Hamptons at East CObb
Heights of Kennesaw
Post Crest
Bell-Vinings
Belmont Place
Post Brookhaven
Hannover Grand
Which Promove did you call and did they not give you a link to look at the complexes that match your criteria?

Post Crest was my first recommendation so you know how I feel about that one. Bell Vinings is less than a mile away. I consider both safe, walkable, and an easy commute for your husband. Bell Vinings may be even more walkable but out of the two, I'd still prefer Post Crest.

The area around Hamptons at East Cobb is in a safe area of Marietta but you will risk life and limb walking almost anywhere you need to go. I think the nearest grocery store may be two miles away Also, traffic can be a beast around there so you won't be doing your husband any commute favors. Belmont Place has similar issues. You can go to that gas station on the corner, but if you're going cross Windy Hill near 75 on foot, then you're a better woman than I lol.

I'm not clear why Hanover Grand which has a notorious parking problem or Post Brookhaven was recommended. If you find Smyrna sketchy, then you'd have a full blown meltdown in either of those.

As for the Kennesaw one (the bane of my original Atlanta move), I can say it's safe but I'd rent a house before any apartment. May as well get the most for your money.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:30 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,832,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
I am going to break with convention. I almost always tell people to live in town first and worry about hitting the suburbs later. I don't know what kind of commute your husband expects, but I would consider living in the midtown-ish area. You should be able to find a 2 bedroom in your rent range. His reverse commute would be no longer than 20-30 minutes and you would end up in town being able to walk to many places.
For the most part I agree and this is advice I could have used before I moved, but I don't think midtown would work for her.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
What are the apartment options in Midtown?

I called 1800 number for Promove. They later called me and the Realtor send me the link of the apartments matching my criteria. I am going to select favorites from that list and she will send me further information based on the moving dates.
I really appreciate all the recommendations I have received in this thread.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:22 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,044,479 times
Midtown is one area where pounding the pavement will yield better results than just using a service or checking online. It is a desireable area to live in, and occupancy rates are high at the moment, so there is not a huge impetus for these places to market themselves widely.

I would start with the 75/85 merge near 17th street and go out from there. There are (scrunched together) townhomes on the south end of Atlantic station with garages, as well as a couple of apartment/condo complexes west of those down 17th street (approaching Ikea).

The idea is that you want easy access to 75 North so that a 20 minute commute doesn't turn into a 35 minute commute if traffic gets bad (which is very possible).

If you're not careful, you just might fall in love with the intown neighborhood of the Morningside/Lenox Park/VA highland neighborhood due east of Piedmont park. These are mostly single family homes, but the rents for 2-bedroom units probably start around $2k (unless you can find a deal). There are a couple of multi-family units and town homes sprinkled in and out of the area.... but anything farther than the western edge of this area will put you too far from I-75 for comfort, IMO.

The Howell Mill/Northside area has a strange mixture of housing (at least it did the last time i lived around there). Ratty apartments abutting light industry abutting well kept single family homes. One issue with living in that area are the small, congested streets that you are forced to take to get to I-75.

The Lindbergh area is probably also a good candidate, which puts you SSE of Buckhead proper and just north of the Buford Hwy connector (which allows fairly expedient access to I-75). I seem to recall there being one or two condo complexes around Armour drive. You can't really walk anywhere from there, though.

If you are looking for apt chains/franchises then there are a couple of those too. Almost anything along Northside Drive is going to leave you in fairly good shape.

Have you also been checking craigslist, hotpads and padmapper?

Old 03-12-2014, 08:14 AM

I am thinking Dunwoody would be best for us in terms of accessibility.

I have shortlisted the following apartments. I would appreciate some feedback/comments mainly in terms of security in these apartments.

1. AMLI at Perimeter Place
2. Post Crossing
3. London
4. Gables
5. Axis at Perimeter Place
6. The Height at Perimeter Place
7. Savannah at Park Place
8. Alexander at perimeter

Thanks!

Old 03-13-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyshree View Post
I am thinking Dunwoody would be best for us in terms of accessibility.

I have shortlisted the following apartments. I would appreciate some feedback/comments mainly in terms of security in these apartments.

1. AMLI at Perimeter Place
2. Post Crossing
3. London
4. Gables
5. Axis at Perimeter Place
6. The Height at Perimeter Place
7. Savannah at Park Place
8. Alexander at perimeter

Thanks!
On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the safest and 1 being the least safe place could someone rate the apartments listed above.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:29 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,380,930 times
If you want to see the neighborhoods before you move, try Google maps. Type in Atlanta, Ga. and click the + button until the street you are looking for is blown up and click anywhere on that street to see a live image of it. Sometimes the images are a few years old but they aren't out of date usually. The general character of the neighborhood can be seen. The areas of Atlanta to be avoided is the south side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta