Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 06:24 AM

17 posts, read 20,160 times

Advertisements

Thanks ElleKaye and Lorilove. But aren't the neighborhoods in Smyrna, Vinings and around Cumberland mall considered iffy.
I wouldn't feel comfortable walking to Kroger if it is in a sketchy area. Apart from the Atlanta traffic, the other negative review I have read is about Atlanta being one of the most dangerous cities. So I don't want to sound skeptical but security is the paramount area of concern for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 07:43 AM

925 posts, read 1,334,297 times
Go with the Perimeter Mall area or near this Target : 100 Perimeter Center Pl, Atlanta, Georgia 30346 , there is an excellent outdoor shopping center and even an apartment complex at that Target location. I would personally choose the Target area over all the chooses pointed out.

The perimeter center/dunwoody area is definitly more upscale and feels alot safer than the places west of it. Also you will be closer to the asian areas of Atlanta (buford hiway, duluth, etc). Most Asian enclaves/restaurants/grocery/people etc are on the east side of 400.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:16 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,775,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyshree View Post
Thanks ElleKaye and Lorilove. But aren't the neighborhoods in Smyrna, Vinings and around Cumberland mall considered iffy.
I wouldn't feel comfortable walking to Kroger if it is in a sketchy area. Apart from the Atlanta traffic, the other negative review I have read is about Atlanta being one of the most dangerous cities. So I don't want to sound skeptical but security is the paramount area of concern for me.
Absolutely not! I live in Smyrna and I walk and run in that area often. It is a very walkable area with runners and walkers all around town. Not sure where you are getting this information but I assure you they are misinformed.

There are certain areas in Smyrna like in any town that are less desirable but at the price point you are looking at, you won't be in those areas

Old 03-05-2014, 05:39 AM

Thanks for the tip. Can anyone suggest some good apartments for rent in Smyrna/Vinings area which are in the range of $1200-$1500/mo. Most of the apartments I am checking have rent less than $1000 in that region. I am thinking those might be in the less desirable areas of the town.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:59 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,775,133 times
Brand new apartment complex near Cumberland Mall - Walton Riverwood. There is another new one right around the corner but I don't remember the name.

Did you check Post Crest and the other apartments that were specifically recommended - I would be surprised if that was less than $1000

Don't forget to search for townhome rentals in the following zip codes 30339 and 30080

Old 03-05-2014, 07:31 AM

Will do... Can you please provide similar input on Marietta as well. I see that it is near his office.
Like earlier I am looking for apartments in a good neighborhood with security and accessibility.
Also, is there in good search engine for townhome rentals?

Thanks!

Old 03-05-2014, 07:38 AM

106 posts, read 155,769 times
Quote:
Will do... Can you please provide similar input on Marietta as well. I see that it is near his office.
Like earlier I am looking for apartments in a good neighborhood with security and accessibility.
Also, is there in good search engine for townhome rentals?

Thanks!
Check your email

Old 03-05-2014, 07:59 AM

Yes I did. Its only 1 apartment and that too in Smyrna. I am looking for information on Marietta rental apartments.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:12 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,823,619 times
Quote:

No, and Vinings is considered highly desirable. That does not mean that as in every part of the metro, there will not be less desirable areas as even parts of Peachtree in Buckhead have a little more going on than I would prefer living in, but Cobb County as a whole is not known for high crime. The only reservation I would have about moving that area would be traffic regarding the new Braves stadium. Based on where your husband will be working, he is going to have to deal with that anyway so you may as well cut down on the commute stress.

High rent and safety do not necessarily go hand and hand. For instance, you could move to the Waterford on Piedmont downtown that would give you the higher price range you seem to be finding important, but I wouldn't walk my dog there at night. Also, you'd definitely have moved away from attached garage territory into parking garage at best.

Someone suggested it earlier, but I think you should sign up with Promove or the apartment search service of your choice and have them help conduct the search. I used one for my move from Kennesaw to Midtown in January because the options had gotten overwhelming, and that's also why I'm freakishly familiar lol with almost every complex on and off 41 between Barrett (Kennesaw) and West Paces (Buckhead). In the end, I decided I preferred Midtown so I had them start a new search in that area. Only you know what makes you feel comfortable so a visit is in order.

Old 03-05-2014, 03:21 PM

Yes I just contacted Promove. Also, I checked the Post Crest apartment online and it looks good to me.
I am looking for apartments in the Marietta region. I would appreciate if anyone could share their thoughts on that.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta