Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 02:24 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,993,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
That's what I said when I saw the place. And the place wasn't that nice. Everything in there was IKEA-grade.
Where was this place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 02:32 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,695,825 times
War
Good luck on getting an answer to your question. I've asked the same thing twice today. LOL!

Old 05-06-2013, 02:35 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,217,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Where was this place?

Dunwoody. When I was looking to buy I had looked at a place in Poncey-Highland a few years back. It was a 2 bdrm condo. It was a great size at it looked nice but as I started inspecting the finishes and fixtures in the place, the doors in the unit were so flimsy that you could literally punch a hole through them, the carpet was cheap and the counters and cabinetry in the kitchen in this condo were also from IKEA, and it was the lowest-grade, cheapest kitchen that IKEA carried at the time. This place was selling for $275k. It was very cheaply done and after $275k you'd have spend thousands of dollars more to replace the carpet, doors, and kitchen with better quality stuff and this place was brand new.

It just seems that whether I've looked in the city or in the 'burbs, many of the so-called good places are poorly built and overpriced for what you get. If East Point became all the rage and they started putting high rises there, I'm sure they'd overcharge for those too.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:46 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,993,141 times
Quote:
Dunwoody.
You can stop right there. East Point will never be like Dunwoody. Ever. In 1 million years.

I don't say that to mean that it isn't possible for East Point to reach "desirable" status. Rather, what went in to making Dunwoody what is today won't be repeated since it is a product of the time it was developed.

Of course, there are some serious differences between Dunwoody and East Point. For one, East Point has long history as an industrial working class/lower middle class city. It's a city in it's own right that is just now starting to recover from having a Rust Belt-esque decline. Applying what happened in Dunwoody to East Point would be a fools errand.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
You can stop right there. East Point will never be like Dunwoody. Ever. In 1 million years.

I don't say that to mean that it isn't possible for East Point to reach "desirable" status. Rather, what went in to making Dunwoody what is today won't be repeated since it is a product of the time it was developed.

Of course, there are some serious differences between Dunwoody and East Point. For one, East Point has long history as an industrial working class/lower middle class city. It's a city in it's own right that is just now starting to recover from having a Rus t Belt-esque decline. Applying what happened in Dunwoody to East Point would be a fools errand.
I am not comparing the two areas. The are very different. I simply said that if they ever did build high rises in East Point they would be ridiculoudly priced like the rest of these new suburban developments in the Atlanta metro these days. There's nothing impressive about Dunwoody and there's no way on earth I'd pay that kind of money for a condo there when I could get something for that price in a bigger city (not a suburb) for that price with way better amenities than what this place had.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:47 PM

3,709 posts, read 5,984,814 times
Who in the world would spend $600k on a 2/2 condo in Dunwoody with cheap finishes? I'm actually shocked one exists. You can buy a 2/2 in Luxe, Viewpoint, or 1010 for far less, and those are all nice buildings.

I don't see how the existence of a unit like this is a knock on our city though. That makes no sense. Atlanta's market for condos is clearly far cheaper than NYC, Boston, SF, etc, even if someone is apparently trying to sell a condo in Dunwoody for $600k. Those cities would beg for new construction in a decent area at $275k, even low grade. And that same unit is probably worth a lot less now.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Who in the world would spend $600k on a 2/2 condo in Dunwoody with cheap finishes? I'm actually shocked one exists. You can buy a 2/2 in Luxe, Viewpoint, or 1010 for far less, and those are all nice buildings.
The was the exact same question I asked when I saw that place lol. I'm not shocked. It's not the first high-priced, low-grade place I've seen since looking around at places in Atlanta. And for that reason (among others), is why I've chosen not to buy here and will buy a condo once I move back Chicago. You could get a 2 bdrm place in downtown Chicago with quality finishes for that price, like no kidding!

Old 05-06-2013, 10:06 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,031,616 times
Quote:
The was the exact same question I asked when I saw that place lol. I'm not shocked. It's not the first high-priced, low-grade place I've seen since looking around at places in Atlanta. And for that reason (among others), is why I've chosen not to buy here and will buy a condo once I move back Chicago. You could get a 2 bdrm place in downtown Chicago with quality finishes for that price, like no kidding!
Was this prior to the housing collapse? Just looking around for condos in Dunwoody I couldn't find anything for more than $350K, and those are 3BR/3BA. Just curious...

Old 05-06-2013, 10:13 PM

1,697 posts, read 2,249,093 times
One overpriced place doesn't say much to me. It is very easy to find a place for less than a third of that price here. 200k and you can get anything from huge factory lofts to 1890's Victorians. This is the cheapest market in the country.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:20 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,878,501 times
The 1st posting contains the topic. A couple of people are getting out of hand and getting personal in here. Stop. Comment on the TOPIC, please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta