Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 09:09 AM

444 posts, read 704,369 times

Advertisements

[quote=Atlanta_BD;29426749]I would think anyone who would could afford nearly $1 million for a 2 bdrm condo would want much better quality than IKEA, would want a better view other than a strip mall parking lot, and would want to be close to high-end shopping and entertainment, not fast food chains and discount department stores in said strip mall, yet people are paying big money for that. It boggles my mind that people would spend that kind of money to live in mediocre properties in the suburbs for that price.

I would not pay that kind of money to live in any high rise in suburban Atlanta. People talk about the city's core not being dense. Yet it seems developers continue to build in the burbs here but want to charge city prices for it while calling Atlanta a cheap place to live (since when was $600k for a 2 bdrm apt in the suburbs cheap?). It make no sense to me.

quote]

Damn, those are nearly Manhattan/Brooklyn prices...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 09:26 AM

8,487 posts, read 15,020,678 times
It's funny how people are saying that East Point is "too far from the core" of the City of Atlanta to have a lot of development when that's why it was developed in the first place. East Point in it's heyday was to Atlanta what Decatur is now with a large industrial base. It is what it is now due to decline of rail and the industrial sector plus white flight.

Sadly, a lot of the old Downtown East Point was wiped out in the 1980s. Everything from factories that would have made awesome lofts and grand Victorian era houses that would rival any in Grant Park or Midtown (a few blocks still exist though). Downtown East Point used to be home several theaters, restaurants, bowling alleys, and dozens of other shops of all sorts...all killed by a declining population and the rise of Greenbriar Mall (which at one time in the past was an actual destination).

The bones are still there though, and with a MARTA stop all it's own it's well poised to see a lot of growth in the next few decades. The Downtown area has already seen a lot of revitalization over the last several years and seems to have a lot of momentum to it, so I'm sure eventually East Point the next "it" locale. I don't however see any highrises being built in East Point. There is the aforementioned problem with the flight path for HJIA, but it is also unnecessary. A duplication of how Decatur looks would fit just fine.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
There are no high-rises in East Point
https://maps.google.com/?ll=33.68526...47.76,,0,-1.03

Then what is this?

For once, just admit you are wrong and that you indeed aren't at all knowledgeable about anything in East Point on a first hand basis.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:35 AM

3,875 posts, read 4,707,123 times
Well said there War... You views dovetail nicely with what I wrote.
It seems awfully parochial & short-sighted to slight the idea of new, denser urbanism there just because it is outside of the central Atlanta urban core.
The amenity of a good connection via MARTA certainly has the potential to spark a growth in downtown East Point of residents who work in the city of Atlanta as well as at the airport.
A small village type of atmosphere already exists there now.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:42 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,151,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
ant, i give up. you don't seem to understand the topic. plus i'm pissed off that you didn't tell me the final was at 11 and not at 1.
Off-topic: I'm not going to tell someone information I didn't know until the night before. I almost went at 1 myself, then checked the syllabus the night before to make sure. You shouldn't have to rely on someone else for information about your final exam. That's part of being a responsible college student. It's not my fault you didn't go at the right time. That's what separates the best college students from those who will simply not succeed. I don't have a nearly 3.7 college GPA for no reason.

On-Topic: I don't understand the topic? It says 'High-rises in East Point'....what is it to understand about the OP? Another person using Straw-man. People on the Atlanta boards are some of the worst people to argue with because none of them use common sense or logic. It's the same thing people do to GTcorndog. He's among the most intelligent here and his intelligence is questioned all the time because he's proves people wrong through statistics and logic. People feel offended. But you can tell he's among the smartest here. I don't agree with some of his political ideology, but to say, he isn't smart is crazy. I have yet to see a valid argument or counter-argument as to why high-rises have not went up in East Point.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
It's funny how people are saying that East Point is "too far from the core" of the City of Atlanta to have a lot of development when that's why it was developed in the first place. East Point in it's heyday was to Atlanta what Decatur is now with a large industrial base. It is what it is now due to decline of rail and the industrial sector plus white flight.

Sadly, a lot of the old Downtown East Point was wiped out in the 1980s. Everything from factories that would have made awesome lofts and grand Victorian era houses that would rival any in Grant Park or Midtown (a few blocks still exist though). Downtown East Point used to be home several theaters, restaurants, bowling alleys, and dozens of other shops of all sorts...all killed by a declining population and the rise of Greenbriar Mall (which at one time in the past was an actual destination).

The bones are still there though, and with a MARTA stop all it's own it's well poised to see a lot of growth in the next few decades. The Downtown area has already seen a lot of revitalization over the last several years and seems to have a lot of momentum to it, so I'm sure eventually East Point the next "it" locale. I don't however see any highrises being built in East Point. There is the aforementioned problem with the flight path for HJIA, but it is also unnecessary. A duplication of how Decatur looks would fit just fine.
I never said it would never happen. All I provided were reasons as to why it hasn't happened or why it won't happen anytime soon. Plus areas around East Point are still ghetto to most people eyes. No ones going to pay premium prices to live there anytime soon while the stigma of being in a small enclave in the hood with high crime rates exist. I don't see that changing for several more decades. There's still too many areas NEAR the core that have much more potential. West End and Mechanicsville come to mind.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:50 AM

[quote=NYbyWAYofGA;29442852]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
I would think anyone who would could afford nearly $1 million for a 2 bdrm condo would want much better quality than IKEA, would want a better view other than a strip mall parking lot, and would want to be close to high-end shopping and entertainment, not fast food chains and discount department stores in said strip mall, yet people are paying big money for that. It boggles my mind that people would spend that kind of money to live in mediocre properties in the suburbs for that price.

I would not pay that kind of money to live in any high rise in suburban Atlanta. People talk about the city's core not being dense. Yet it seems developers continue to build in the burbs here but want to charge city prices for it while calling Atlanta a cheap place to live (since when was $600k for a 2 bdrm apt in the suburbs cheap?). It make no sense to me.

quote]

Damn, those are nearly Manhattan/Brooklyn prices...
Exactly....who's going to pay NYC prices to live in a suburb in a southern metropolis that can barely live off of sub-par transit and high traffic?

Old 05-06-2013, 09:56 AM

444 posts, read 704,369 times
Quote:
Read above.5-6 miles from Downtown isn't 'immediately' around the core. If you can't walk to it from Midtown or Downtown, it isn't immediately around the core.

For example, Sf's core would simply be downtown SF. Immediately around that core would be neighborhoods like Mission District or Japtown.

Atlanta's core may be larger in area, but nowhere near as built up as SF's core.
They mean, as far as driving, East Point is about 5 minutes from downtown. It's also connected by MARTA.

Last edited by NYbyWAYofGA; 05-06-2013 at 10:10 AM..

Old 05-06-2013, 10:08 AM

3,875 posts, read 4,707,123 times
I may have missed it but did that poster from NYC cite an eample of a 2 br. condo on the market in East Point for a million $ or even $600,000? If so, where is that condo development?
At this time I can foresee new apartment & condo development occurring in East Point in the downtown & MARTA corridor that reflect the going market rate there, not leading it into the luxury market. So, the idea of NYC prices in East Point is a moot point, a kind of a straw man thing in and of itself unless I overlooked a link that pointed to such a development.
I have walked through & driven around a lot of East Point, including neighborhoods far away from the downtown core in that city & the reality is that very little of that small city strikes me as being "ghetto".
But rather, vast areas of it, especially as you head west away from the MARTA corridor in downtown, turn into attractive post WW2 suburban neighborhoods with rolling & wooded topography.
I look at downtown East Point as a place with great potential that will become another node of new urbanism sparked by it's closein location & proximity to MARTA. Though not present particularly at this time, that potential could lead to mid & high rise development.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
I never said it would never happen. All I provided were reasons as to why it hasn't happened or why it won't happen anytime soon. Plus areas around East Point are still ghetto to most people eyes. No ones going to pay premium prices to live there anytime soon while the stigma of being in a small enclave in the hood with high crime rates exist. I don't see that changing for several more decades. There's still too many areas NEAR the core that have much more potential. West End and Mechanicsville come to mind.
Who said anything about paying a premium? Any new development now would have to be appropriately priced for the market.

Regardless of what you or anyone else may think about East Point, it's all a matter of perception (like Midtown or Decatur doesn't have it's "ghetto" parts). It is a very viable location with an established lower middle class that would be conducive to an urban village. While I don't disagree that the West End or Mechanicsville would make good candidates as well, there is no need to have one over the other. At one point in time, East Point was an anchor city for the whole Metro. It's past time for it to retake it's place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta