Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 06:40 PM

32,033 posts, read 36,849,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
The point is East Point isn't a conductive location to develop. Your return on investment simply would't be high enough...there's no incentive to build in East Point.. .
Wait till the Ft. McPherson redevelopment gets underway. East Point may explode.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 07:57 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,151,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
ant, you *just* said this:

east point is the SAME DISTANCE from downtown as buckhead is, and in addition is also the SAME DISTANCE from downtown as decatur is. you're pulling out this false dichotomy that basically goes like "either we build high rises in downtown and midtown and fill the areas out, or we build high rises in east point and promote suburban development." east point isn't really a suburb first of all, and second of all, we're talking about the possibility, way down the road, of the urban core extending southward to east point, just like the urban core extends northward to buckhead today.

nobody's talking about building office parks in the suburbs or all this other crap that you've come up with, that has nothing to do with the conversation.

what we're talking about is— the urban core extended north to buckhead in the last 30 years. is it possible that the urban core will one day extend down to east point also? this doesn't have anything to do with suburban development. manhattan's urban core is 10 miles long. will our urban core extend southward like that?

Comparing Manhattan to Atlanta is like comparing Apples to Apple seeds. Manhattan is 10 miles long because it had to build 10 miles long because they had no more room. It's built to the brim. Atlanta's downtown isn't even close. I still see a vast amount of parking lots in downtown. I don't recall seeing even 1 parking lot in Midtown Manhattan or the Financial district of Manhattan or even the neighborhoods between those 2 CBDs.

You're comparing a 100-200k ppm area to a <5,000 ppm area. Lol....Doesn't help your argument. It would be different if Midtown and Downtown were fully densified, but they aren't, which is my point.

And Buckhead is 2-3 miles from Midtown so it's closer to the urban core than East Point is and again, East Point is a completely different city. This means taxes, among other things are different then the city of Atlanta.

You have to use logic. Even if East Point somehow becomes a densified urban district, we're at least 5-7 decades away. Again, the ROI is too low to develop in that area right now. There's no incentive to develop in East Point. None. If I were an apartment or office tower developer, I would develop in Midtown, W Midtown, or Buckhead as that is where office/apartments rents are among the highest in the metro area and the ROI would be highest. This is common sense to me and I don't understand why you all are not understanding.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:25 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,050,626 times
Okay everybody...he's determined to be right so just let him think he is. There is no use trying to help him see a different point of view.

Maybe passing through East Point on MARTA made him an expert - it seems to do that for a lot of people.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:35 PM

Then explain to me why developers should develop in East Point. I've already made my explanation. How about making one then if you're trying to convince me on your side. Because at the moment, I see no incentive to develop in East Point when there are much more conductive areas in develop in.

The original post asked why there are no highrises in East point and if you think there will be some in the future. I've created my reason as to why.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:43 PM

LOL...there are some highrises already in East Point. Case closed.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:14 PM

There are no high-rises in East Point unless you're talking about hotel buildings that surround the airport, which is College Park, not East Point. If there were high-rises, then we wouldn't be discussing it now. All you ever do is try to berate the person you are arguing with and try to use a strawman fallacy. In this case, all you've done is say 'You don't know East Point therefore you don't know what you are talking about!". Right. I guess that's why East Point is mentioned with the typical Downtown, Midtown, Buckhead, Perimiter, and Cumberland areas for high-rise districts. Because obviously it has high-rises.

You have no argument. Just admit it. I made you look silly through logic. You do it with other posters on CD too. I see it all the time and every time you're proven wrong, you simply resort to childish posts.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:26 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,886,823 times
ant, i give up. you don't seem to understand the topic. plus i'm pissed off that you didn't tell me the final was at 11 and not at 1.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:46 PM

840 posts, read 2,089,110 times
There is only one actual high rise in the city of East Point, but I do agree with the fact that I wish there was as much investment on the south side as there is on the north side. I would love to see more buildings built, between 5-20 stories in three key areas. Virginia Ave Corridor, Camp Creek-GICC Area, and Phoenix Area in Clayton County just south of Airport. I think these area can support business investment.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
There are no high-rises in East Point unless you're talking about hotel buildings that surround the airport, which is College Park, not East Point. If there were high-rises, then we wouldn't be discussing it now. All you ever do is try to berate the person you are arguing with and try to use a strawman fallacy. In this case, all you've done is say 'You don't know East Point therefore you don't know what you are talking about!". Right. I guess that's why East Point is mentioned with the typical Downtown, Midtown, Buckhead, Perimiter, and Cumberland areas for high-rise districts. Because obviously it has high-rises.

You have no argument. Just admit it. I made you look silly through logic. You do it with other posters on CD too. I see it all the time and every time you're proven wrong, you simply resort to childish posts.
East Point is not a highrise district...no one said that. But there is a Hilton Towers and Crowne Plaza located in East Point as well as a couple of others in that same area - not in College Park - on Virginia Avenue. There is also 1600 Connally Drive and the South Fulton Medical Center area. There are some in College Park too unless you want to argue that they also don't exist.

So to say there aren't ANY in East Point is incorrect...to say there WON'T BE ANY in East Point is incorrect. To say there ARE a few in East Point is correct.

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 05-06-2013 at 09:07 AM..

Old 05-06-2013, 08:50 AM

3,875 posts, read 4,707,631 times
Frankly investment capital will flow to where a need is already noted or the beginning foundation(s) for a new, more dense urbanism can be encouraged.
Downtown East Point has a major building block already in place that is a great amenity: Marta access to both downtown/midtown Atlanta as well as to the airport is only a short few minutes train ride away.
Whether or not high rises or mid rises ever become a staple in East Point remains to be seen but the city can certainly redevelop in a more dense pattern in it's small but already existing urban core while most of the rest of the city retains it's current more suburban feel. Those differing concepts can coexist near each other & I can easily picture a new urban village concept building up in the old downtown area.
Metro Atlanta is large enough in population that I don't see why it has to be an either or question for denser development that pits the possibiities of the Atlanta central core against all other areas with a view that no new urbanism should be encouraged elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta