Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 12:30 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,145,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
I never said that crime was not high in East Point I merely pointed out that it has a strongly positive potential for development in it's inner core.
You are so fixated here on finding anything that is negative about East Point & now focusing on crime stats. What will be the next set of warts that you unearth?
When I moved here, downtown Decatur was falling apart & becoming a dead zone & people were shunning living in the city as it's population was collapsing amidst race-based & crime-based fears.
Over time, things turned around & I believe that the samething is possible for East Point.
Why is that so hard for you to understand?
If you're going to be a developer, wouldn't you look at the pros and cons of an area? You can't simply look at the pros and make a decision based on that. The marginal benefits must exceed the marginal costs. This is basic Econ.

I guarantee you that the people right now saying that East Point is a great area to develop in would NOT live in the area at this present moment and that includes you. So if you're not going to live in the area, what makes you think developers are going to want to develop in the area?

And Decatur had a complete different set of things going on for it than East Point does. It's like comparing Apples to Oranges. East Point has been surrounded by the hood for decades. Decatur has been surrounded by not so nice parts and nice parts. Gentrification simply spilled over into it over the past couple of decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 12:44 PM

32,032 posts, read 36,823,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I guarantee you that the people right now saying that East Point is a great area to develop in would NOT live in the area at this present moment and that includes you. So if you're not going to live in the area, what makes you think developers are going to want to develop in the area?
It only takes a few projects to get the ball rolling and once it starts things can change quickly. Look at Midtown or Buckhead 30 years ago. Very few of the highrises you see today were there then. There were virtually none at Perimeter or Cumberland.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:47 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,044,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It only takes a few projects to get the ball rolling and once it starts things can change quickly. Look at Midtown or Buckhead 30 years ago. Very few of the highrises you see today were there then. There were virtually none at Perimeter or Cumberland.
Did you look at the project at 1285 Cleveland Ave in East Point? It looks pretty cool...check it out on google maps.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:21 PM

32,032 posts, read 36,823,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I'm pretty sure what the OP meant was the type of high-rises that we are seeing being built in Midtown. As far as I'm concerned, there have been no recent high-rises like that built in East Point.
There aren't yet, but they said much the same thing in Midtown and Buckhead 30 years ago. People thought it was plumb crazy to be putting tall buildings "way out there" at 14th Street or at Peachtree & Piedmont.

Yet look at them now. They are both integral parts of our core city where nearly 200,000 people come to work every day.

They've already got great access to MARTA and 85, 75, 285 and Lankford Parkway. The gigantic Ft. McPherson project is in the works. Of course they are only minutes from the airport. There are wonderful, revitalized neighborhoods like Conley Hills, Jefferson Park and Colonial Hills.

So why shouldn't big things happen in East Point, too?

Old 05-06-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
There aren't yet, but they said much the same thing in Midtown and Buckhead 30 years ago. People thought it was plumb crazy to be putting tall buildings "way out there" at 14th Street or at Peachtree & Piedmont.

Yet look at them now. They are both integral parts of our core city where nearly 200,000 people come to work every day.

They've already got great access to MARTA and 85, 75, 285 and Lankford Parkway. The gigantic Ft. McPherson project is in the works. Of course they are only minutes from the airport. There are wonderful, revitalized neighborhoods like Conley Hills, Jefferson Park and Colonial Hills.

So why shouldn't big things happen in East Point, too?
Good point...Midtown was mostly forests and open fields when it began to develop. East Point has a little more to offer than that.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:34 PM

8,487 posts, read 15,011,433 times
My goodness, this thread has gone of the rails. SMH

Anyway, let's move the discussion in a more positive direction: Which type of redevelopment would work best for East Point and where to focus it?

Personally, I think highrises above 10 or so stories should be out. Attached row houses or the restoral of the Victorian town houses that dot Downtown would work best for the gridded block structure of the central part of town. Even in it's current state, the streets and sidewalks are already scaled appropriately to one in which a human being can comfortably walk anywhere.

One of the unintended benefits of East Point not having a lot of development in the last half century is that it never went through the period where roads were widened to crazy widths that made walking difficult, like you would find in other suburban locations around the metro.

As I said earlier, Decatur would be a good blue print to follow but I also think the close in suburban towns of Boston would be good too. Something like Revere would work really nicely.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
My goodness, this thread has gone of the rails. SMH

Anyway, let's move the discussion in a more positive direction: Which type of redevelopment would work best for East Point and where to focus it?

Personally, I think highrises above 10 or so stories should be out. Attached row houses or the restoral of the Victorian town houses that dot Downtown would work best for the gridded block structure of the central part of town. Even in it's current state, the streets and sidewalks are already scaled appropriately to one in which a human being can comfortably walk anywhere.

One of the unintended benefits of East Point not having a lot of development in the last half century is that it never went through the period where roads were widen to crazy widths that made walking difficult like you would find in other suburban locations around the metro.
Thank you, I agree.

Yeah I'm not sure buildings over 10 floors would be appropriate for East Point at this time. Downtown EP near the MARTA station would be a good place for some new, urban development that would complement what is currently there. Also Fort McPherson and Virginia Ave would be be prime spots.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:50 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,994,177 times
$600k in the burbs must be one hell of a 2/2. In Midtown that can buy you something penthouse-like in a prime building.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:58 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,547,967 times
I think the height of the buildings should be respective to whats in the locale already. Start wit what you see along 85 bbetween 285 and buford hwy then infill like u see in buckhead. Thats similar to how it started there in the first place, just it cant line I-85, instead it could be in downtown east point and flow fuller towards west end, and patchy down somewhere like washington rd to camp creek with camp creek being more of an isolated tod area similar to galleria but with more emphasis on transit than roads for better balance.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:08 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,224,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
$600k in the burbs must be one hell of a 2/2. In Midtown that can buy you something penthouse-like in a prime building.
That's what I said when I saw the place. And the place wasn't that nice. Everything in there was IKEA-grade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta