Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 05:13 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dichloromethane View Post
Especially if alumni are disgruntled about their emancipation(but again, most USG schools started out as UGA or Georgia Tech).
I missed this one.

Other than GSU and SPSU...what USG schools started out as UGA or GT?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 08:37 AM

46 posts, read 65,399 times
Default Uga & gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I missed this one.

Other than GSU and SPSU...what USG schools started out as UGA or GT?
It seems I read somewhere that all Georgia colleges sprang from UGA and GT prior to the formation of the USG in 1931. Early in its history SPSU was the fourth largest unit in the USG.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:46 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
According to US New, GSU is #58. They are on page 3 out of 8 pages of schools. Easily top half and almost top third.

Best Law School Rankings | Law Program Rankings | US News

Part-Time Law (which justified GSU getting a law school in the first place) #29. Top of page 2 of 4 pages. Close to top quarter.

Best Part Time Law Programs | Top Law Schools | US News Graduate Schools]
Ok, new US News rankings are out. If there is end to the lag in US News' responding to GSU's decline, apparently it hasn't hit yet.

GSU Part-time MBA jumped 15 from #32 to #17 among all schools and #9 among public universities. Computer Information Systems moved from #9 to #8 (not much room for improvement). Nice for them to be able to say its part-time programs are top 20 overall and top 10 public and in CIS.

The "sucky" GSU Law program managed to move up from #58 to #54 and its part-time program moved from #29 to #16. And Education moved up a notch from #61 to #60.

Georgia State University Graduate Programs Rise in Annual U.S. News Rankings — Georgia State University

I'm not hanging everything on these rankings as moving up means others will be moving down and GSU will slip now and then. But this is a positive for GSU.

And to be fair, KSU is hot on GSU's heels as its part-time is #43 all schools and #24 public. KSU targets its business program in allocating its funding.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:38 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,661,329 times
Oh.. yeah I sort of gave up on this thread.

You consider a good law school to be ranked 54 in the nation? Law is too competitive these days. New grads have to go to good schools to make a decent living. GSU isn't a good school for law. There are much better alternatives in Georgia like UGA and Emory..maybe even John Marshall. Whoever can't get into those schools can go to GSU. Glad to see a jump though. Haven't noticed it on campus.

GSU's business school is STILL unranked overall. GSU's strength lies in commuter and part-time students. Even I would expect them to be decent for part-time _____. I just don't know how long GSU can hold onto it's part-time students. GSU probably saw a lot of growth in that area after the 2008 crash..many older folks going back to school. Tech is too intensive, UGA is too far and Emory is too expensive. Back then KSU was nothing except for the nursing school(KSU also has a high number of part-time/post-bacc students).

However times a changin', KSU is 43rd for part-time MBA as you said(this was pretty surprising actually..kudos to KSU), GT, however, is 24th. Emory is 14th.

UGA also saw jumps as expected. 52 best business(overall NATIONAL rankings...not just small niche programs that are few in number to begin with) from 57 before. 34 best law to 33 best law. Political science went up from 51 to 48. Economics went up from 65 to 63. GSU went down in economics from 65 to 72. For what it's worth healthcare law went from 2nd to 3rd(CDC proximity probably boosts). Speaking of UGA. Did you hear about this GSU librarian who donated 4 million worth of estates to UGA?

"Former Georgia State University librarian Sidney Samuel Thomas leaves most of an estate worth over $4 million to the UGA libraries. Front-page ABH feature reports on Thomas's building of a fortune through frugality, and of his love for the UGA library."

Collector's estate sale to benefit UGA libraries | Online Athens

RIP Mr. Thomas. I wish I could have met him. I might've been able to make him feel better..he wasn't even married. Most people here don't even know what a call number is.

Tech went up from 31 best overall business to 27. Engineering went down from 5th to 6th though(minor fluctuation).

I have to say though..everyone made jumps in national rankings. Even KSU and GSU. That's pretty impressive.

I can only comment on the details of GSU graduate program in the sciences. I know just as much as you do about business, law and other departments. I just figured out that GSU has extended their freshman deadline. Apparently, they received way too few applications to even cover costs. Tech received 3,000 more freshman applications this cycle than last and UGA also received 21,000 applications(up from 18,000 last year). Can't say for KSU or Southern or any other school.

Applying to Georgia State — Undergraduate Admissions — Enrollment Services — Georgia State University
https://discoverer.gsu.edu/portal/pa...20Race/Reports

"Truth is valuable and shall overcome" - GSU motto. Remember math...remember

Btw, ant you were right. GSU is becoming more..err African-American. 48.4% of undergrad applicants were AA in 2013. 47.8% in 2012. 47.3% in 2011. 47.1% in 2010. 38.3% in 2009.

When we were freshman GSU undergraduates(freshman, transfer, transient, post-bacc, duel enrollment) was 37% black. In 2012 GSU was 40% black. I still don't think that's the reason why GSU is heading downhill. I honestly think its the administration's change. All this talk about GSU being on the rise(only in graduate education, undergrad has been the same if not getting worse) was during Patton's period. Die-hard panther fans(and I mean die-hard, think opposite of me) will tell you that Becker's takeover marked the downhill slide.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:11 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Chef - John Marshall does not begin to compare to GSU's law school. Amongst those that count to the law students - hiring partners in law firms - GSU and Emory are pretty much even, at least in the southeast.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:24 PM

472 posts, read 809,660 times
Chef, you're quite resourceful to have all this information.

I don't think Georgia Tech or Emory will eat into GSU's part-time or full-time MBA territory(or Emory in the case of law). The three schools educate very different student populations. I think Kennesaw is more of a threat in terms of attracting away applicants and students. I was not aware of their part-time MBA standing. That's not bad at all.

Furthermore, KSU's nursing program competes directly with GSU's nursing program. Although, GSU's nursing program is ranked higher. GRU tops them both for nursing, and GRU may come out with a BS-RN or BS-NP program shortly if they haven't already. GRU also tops GSU's PA program. Emory tops all.

GSU needs to get their head out of the sand and acknowledge KSU, GRU and GA Southern as rivals in every sense of the word - athletically and academically. As of now, I still believe GSU to be better academically than either school. Why? GSU is still a research university. GSU may not sit as high up on the pecking order as UGA and Tech do, but they still do good work. However, GSU is losing support, students and evidently applications(?) to these competitors.

All three might be able to capitalize on it through sports. GSU-GA Southern(the other GSU) already have a good rivalry.

Although Tech and UGA may get shifty-eyed at the possibility of losing following to these three schools. At their Tuesday meeting, BOR recently passed an interesting reform on the creation of sports programs. I anticipate it was due to KSU's program start-up. I can also guess that the GA Southern and GSU crowd had something to do with it.

As always, a rise in rankings is always a good thing regardless of publication or methodology. Rankings = reputation. Rankings compare schools against other schools across the nation and it's great to see that all of our schools beat out someone, somewhere in the rankings.

At this rate, maybe we'll NEED more part-time MBA programs to keep up with Atlanta's growth.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Chef - John Marshall does not begin to compare to GSU's law school. Amongst those that count to the law students - hiring partners in law firms - GSU and Emory are pretty much even, at least in the southeast.
John Marshall is definitely not comparable to UGA, Emory or GSU law.

I don't know about this. Do you have any sources for that? I would think Georgia law graduates and Emory graduates would easily beat out GSU graduates. At least from a scholarly point of view(i.e. publishes, interviews, citations, research, libraries and support)

GSU is generally not mentioned in law ranking publications. Georgia and Emory always are. GSU is more of a regional school and regional placement may be attributed to GSU's location. GSU is not comparable to Emory in any program, except perhaps tuition.

Vault rank:
http://www.vault.com/wps/portal/usa/...on/law-ranking

Law faculty quality rankings:
TOP 70 LAW FACULTIES IN SCHOLARLY IMPACT, 2007-2011

Law student quality rankings:
Brian Leiter Law School Faculty Moves, 1995-2004

WHERE ELITE LITIGATION BOUTIQUES HIRE:
Faculty Quality Based on Membership in the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, 2012

SUPREME COURT CLERKSHIP PLACEMENT, 2000 THROUGH 2010 TERMS:
Brian Leiter Law School Supreme Court Clerkship Placement, 2000-2010

TOP PRODUCERS OF LAW TEACHERS AT THE LEADING LAW SCHOOLS SINCE 1995
Brian Leiter Law School Faculty Moves, 1995-2004

Still, GSU's part-time MBA isn't really affected by Emory's.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:32 PM

Hmm...

The now consolidated schools saw a retirement of the President before the 2012 mergers. Have the Regents and friends been reading our posts? I wonder.

Daniel Kaufman to leave presidency of Georgia Gwinnett College - Newsroom - University System of Georgia

Congratulation to Kaufman. He's been a good president for GGC. I'm sad to see him go.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:40 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Oh look Chef, finally it looks like GSU might attempt to address smoking at their next meeting :O.

Quote:
You are invited to attend a Town Hall Meeting hosted by your Student Government Association on March 14 at 7pm in the Urban Life Auditorium (Room 220).

Pressing university issues that have been brought to the attention of your student representatives will be on the agenda for discussion, including (but not limited to) the smoking ban, parking and transportation issues, campus safety/ guns on campus, sustainability and more.

We invite you to come with any questions, comments, and concerns that you may have pertaining to the university.

Food and refreshments will be provided!

Marcus Kernizan
President, Student Government Association
Georgia State University

For More Information Call: 404-413-1603
Let's see if something actually does happen. I would actually like a smoking ban, especially where the courtyard area is.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:35 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,661,329 times
Nah, it won't happen. People on SGA smoke. Even the law students, grad students and professors smoke here. It's part of the urban culture at GSU. Why do you think that Indian dude in front of the student center can stay open? Think folks really like chips and gym? I always see him lighting up with students. Besides, it won't be enforceable. We have the largest campus police department in the state with one of the smallest campuses and we have such a high crime rate. Think about it. Cops smoke too.

There would be too much of an uproar though. I don't want to have to deal with all the hipsters freaking out. Let em kill their brains. I'd like to see something practical and useful. How about we get food trucks to park near Hurt Park during lunch? Good for businesses, new places to eat lunch, more community feel on campus etc.

Lets clear the hobos off main campus. Send them to Aderhold. We can set up some picnic tables there since the weathers getting better.

Did you see the water bottle refilling station in the rec? Small stuff like that can make a difference. Public water fountains are nasty as hell
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta