Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2013, 02:56 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,130,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dichloromethane View Post
GSU is wholly incapable of handling SPSU. I would hate to see the school go down the gutters.

Which is why GSU is a takeover target to merge with a stronger school.

I mean really, a school even smaller than ASU is just too much for GSU to handle?

Last edited by MathmanMathman; 02-28-2013 at 04:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
Even the food service people go wandering off. You stand in line wanting to buy food and nobody is there. They're all laughing at worldstarhiphop.com videos on their smartphones.
Food service is outsourced. When I was at GT, GT and GSU used the same food service company.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:55 PM

472 posts, read 809,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Food service is outsourced. When I was at GT, GT and GSU used the same food service company.
Hmm. Maybe that's why it's so bad?

Food service people are not faculty. They're the same kind of people that would get hired at McDonalds or B-Dubs. Schools don't hire PhD food service people. Some are nice, some are not.

Last edited by dichloromethane; 02-28-2013 at 04:10 PM..

Old 02-28-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by consultingengineer View Post
Dichlor,
Your words-
"I don't see what the SPSU merger would bring. It's one thing merging MCG with ASU, but it's another merging GT with a virtually unheard of engineering technology school.

I still think SPSU's programs would be better used if merged with KSU. GSU is wholly incapable of handling SPSU. I would hate to see the school go down the gutters."

GT gave birth to SPSU. GT guided or misguided SPSU for over three decades. SPSU was not and is not unknown to GT.

I don't think SPSU is going down any gutter as long as it is not merged with a liberal arts college (state university) such as KSU or GSU.

A couple of exceptions are taken with what you said. SPSU is virtually unknown to most other than the employers who hire its graduates. Granted. The school was all engineering technology for decades. It did its job well and graduates prospered.

However, the college now has evolved into a small university with approximately 50 graduate and undergrad degrees being offered. SPSU's largest programs now are engineering technology, engineering, and architecture. The hard science programs are growing and strengthening the technical element. This includes degrees in math, physics, chemistry, and biology.

SPSU should and probably will remain autonomous. I'm guessing you probably don't have much sway in any potential SPSU merger. I certainly don't. And it's probably a good thing neither of us is in charge.

Any reference to the statements by Mr. Threadgill and others is conspicuously absent from your response. In fact, you had no response to much of what was in my related posting. In view of that, it could be surmised that any reference to any SPSU shortcomings by your professionals and educators could be labeled as heresay.

In what educational institutions do they have a vested interest?

Dr. Threadgill is the former dean. All I have noted has been from reading articles or word of mouth. I have no insider info to present to you. This is common info among faculty in the USG. Regarding my alma matar, I am a UGA and UVA graduate. I did my post-doc at the University of Washington-Seattle. I have taught at several schools. I work in industry right now(hence me being able to spend so much time on city-data. )

Last edited by dichloromethane; 02-28-2013 at 04:10 PM..

Old 02-28-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post

Which is why GSU is a takeover target to merge with a stronger school.

I mean really, a school even smaller than ASU is just too much for GSU to handle.
Georgia State does not need anything else on it's plate. If anything, they should take GGC. It is perfect for them. GSU needs to make instructional and institutional actions. GSU has a perfect niche to educate in Georgia. They just need to start improving their programs to attract students back to the school. Football hasn't done it. I knew it wouldn't.

I can't emphasize USG trends enough. Georgia State was not like this in the 90s and early 00s. All alumni can tell you this. We didn't always have students picking GA Southern and KSU over Georgia State. GSU has fallen behind. I will address it directly in my thread after I have GSU and GT's admissions data. I think GSU enjoys to talk the talk but fails, to walk the walk. Much like their Sun Belt jump, I think GSU is creating most of its own problems. GSU still has fairly respectable programs. Maybe GT's business programs are cutting into what would-be GSU territory.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:45 PM

46 posts, read 65,359 times
Dichlor, your words-
"Dr. Threadgill is the former dean. All I have noted has been from reading articles or word of mouth. I have no insider info to present to you. This is common info among faculty in the USG."

So, are you saying that it is common for USG faculty to berate a "lesser" USG school? For a dean or former dean to do likewise? If your opinions are coming from these sources, a broadening of your knowledge of SPSU just might be in order. The same holds true for what is read. Do any of your sources have any direct knowledge of SPSU? I would venture a guess their knowldege of the school is equally as meager. Reading a History of SPSU would be a good start. By the way, it's a thin book.
I challenge you to read it.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by consultingengineer View Post
Dichlor, your words-
"Dr. Threadgill is the former dean. All I have noted has been from reading articles or word of mouth. I have no insider info to present to you. This is common info among faculty in the USG."

So, are you saying that it is common for USG faculty to berate a "lesser" USG school? For a dean or former dean to do likewise? If your opinions are coming from these sources, a broadening of your knowledge of SPSU just might be in order. The same holds true for what is read. Do any of your sources have any direct knowledge of SPSU? I would venture a guess their knowldege of the school is equally as meager. Reading a History of SPSU would be a good start. By the way, it's a thin book.
I challenge you to read it.
I know the history of SPSU. Let me reiterate. I think you misunderstood. I must've given you the wrong impression. Nobody is saying that SPSU is a "lesser" school. Well, maybe at Tech, but certianly not anyone who I have spoken to. How many times have I said I would rather not lose the quality of engineering program at SPSU? Mergers aren't about lesser schools. They are about efficiency. I don't know if you have noticed, but the economy is not nice. Tomorrow may bring devastating cuts to higher ed in Georgia. It isn't fair to these 4.0 GPA, 1800-1900 SAT score, 5+ AP exam taking students at Tech and UGA. It isn't fair to the community college student making ends meet to take 12 credit hours. It isn't fair to Georgia taxpayers. It certainly isn't fair to SPSU students who are either going away or dropping out.

The only thing that is known to some who follow the news of education in Georgia is that SPSU is not up-to-par in functioning as a college. Very little research, very little production. What does this mean? It means that SPSU isn't graduating enough students for the resources it is given. Please hold onto this statement until the end of my post. Clearly, students who attend SPSU are quite capable. They don't stay. It's very simple. I am surprised and apprehensive that you don't know about this.

https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/c...ate-university

The school gets 1,535 applicants, admits 1,212 and enrolls 790 students. SPSU has an 80% acceptance rate. That, is astonishing. From that from 790 students, assuming everything stays the same as you desire, 37% will graduate within six years. Consultingengineer, your university now takes $83,193,792(2012 budget) in tax payer dollars to graduate 300 students each year. There isn't much research being done. There isn't much outreach being done. SPSU isn't big enough to make an economic impact. It's simply no good.

The school is widely inefficient. Please do not make me dance this tango for a third time. It is about money. We don't have it. We need to conserve it. We are in a drought and we want to save water. That means, some roses will have to suffer for the rice to grow. It is very, very simple.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:29 PM

As a matter of fact, SPSU is in many ways similar to Augusta St. Similar enrollment, similar budgeting, similar output and graduation rates. The academic quality of SPSU is what distinguishes it from ASU.

Why are you so against a merger? Will you not support a new consolidated alma mater?

Old 02-28-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
The only thing that is known to some who follow the news of education in Georgia is that SPSU is not up-to-par in functioning as a college. Very little research, very little production. What does this mean? It means that SPSU isn't graduating enough students for the resources it is given. Please hold onto this statement until the end of my post. Clearly, students who attend SPSU are quite capable. They don't stay. It's very simple. I am surprised and apprehensive that you don't know about this.
If many of those students are going on to Georgia Tech and elsewhere and graduating, it's not such a bad thing. The latest numbers show that SPSU has the 3rd highest SATs in the USG.

Quote:
The school gets 1,535 applicants, admits 1,212 and enrolls 790 students. SPSU has an 80% acceptance rate. That, is astonishing.
Again, they have the 3rd highest average SATs among USG schools which is also astonishing and not surprising as any admissions office in the state other than UGA and GT would admit them. Unless of course those choosing not to attend SPSU scored significantly lower which would be doing SPSU a big favor.

Quote:
From that from 790 students, assuming everything stays the same as you desire, 37% will graduate within six years. Consultingengineer, your university now takes $83,193,792(2012 budget) in tax payer dollars to graduate 300 students each year. There isn't much research being done. There isn't much outreach being done. SPSU isn't big enough to make an economic impact. It's simply no good.
I think you are using the SPSU's total budget and not its taxpayer contribution. Actual state appropriations is a little over $20 million. And really, few schools do much appreciable research other than the research schools. If you are so worried about SPSU research...endorse a SPSU-GSU merger...that'll pull up their research.

Quote:
The school is widely inefficient. Please do not make me dance this tango for a third time. It is about money. We don't have it. We need to conserve it. We are in a drought and we want to save water. That means, some roses will have to suffer for the rice to grow. It is very, very simple.
Well, KSU is graduating 41% in 6 years...not a whole lot better and the state is pumping into them $80 million.

Last edited by MathmanMathman; 02-28-2013 at 10:18 PM..

Old 02-28-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Georgia State does not need anything else on it's plate. If anything, they should take GGC. It is perfect for them. GSU needs to make instructional and institutional actions. GSU has a perfect niche to educate in Georgia. They just need to start improving their programs to attract students back to the school. Football hasn't done it. I knew it wouldn't.
GSU saw a jump in enrollment about the time they were bringing in football. The USG noted a drop in overall enrollment recently so it not that unexpected.

And GSU has so much on its plate that it should take on the fastest growing school in the state that not only has the usual budget cuts but also will lose special funding?

Tough times at Georgia Gwinnett College | www.ajc.com

GSU's doesn't enjoy any special niche in educating. If you really felt that way you would endorse a GSU-KSU-SPSU-CSU merger. And GSU is a Carnegie Classification RU/VH Research University/Very High Research.

Quote:
I can't emphasize USG trends enough. Georgia State was not like this in the 90s and early 00s. All alumni can tell you this. We didn't always have students picking GA Southern and KSU over Georgia State. GSU has fallen behind. I will address it directly in my thread after I have GSU and GT's admissions data. I think GSU enjoys to talk the talk but fails, to walk the walk. Much like their Sun Belt jump, I think GSU is creating most of its own problems. GSU still has fairly respectable programs. Maybe GT's business programs are cutting into what would-be GSU territory.
GSU back then had a flat enrollment and even saw a significant enrollment decline. Ga Southern and especially KSU were on a constant upward climb. Those were not GSU's halcyon days. It was only recently that GSU's enrollment shot up. What GSU enjoys now was because of the efforts of former president Patton. It takes time to turn a ship. If there are mergers in Atlanta, it could affect GSU if it can have some suburban campuses, and make GSU more dynamic in how it serves the Atlanta community. And as I said over and over again SPSU could be significant merger partner as GSU would have engineering which can bring in significant research dollars. And combining the schools I mentioned above would probably make for a better, more efficient, and more cost effective athletic program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta