Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2014, 08:33 AM

32,028 posts, read 36,813,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
I graduated from one of the Buckhead schools and took 7 or 8 AP classes--was technically a sophomore when I started college b/c I had 30+ hours of credit. This was not uncommon at all at my particular school--I would say it is the same there as it is now. About a third of the kids are taking this many APs. I graduated 20 years ago.
Would the percentages be comparable at the good public high schools?

I know places like Chattahoochee have about a 60% AP participation rate, although I don't know many are taking multiple courses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 10:18 AM

2,613 posts, read 4,148,939 times
How interesting. Maybe others will chime in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chabang View Post
I also wonder how "pedigreed" the parents are affect the kid's chances. I have a graduate degree and am a well-respected lawyer but also a single mom that adopted my daughter so I do not put any information on the "father" section of the application and wonder how much this hurts our application. On the Westminster application, there was not even an option for a parent like me to check! You have to be either married, widowed, separated, or divorced. Apparently Westminster does not believe that single (never married) people are parents too.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:33 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,862,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
How interesting. Maybe others will chime in.
It's hard to say. I've known "pedigreed" families whose kids didn't get in. I've known families with alum parent(s) and one or two siblings at the school whose younger child didn't get into Westminster (not even wait-listed). And I've known families who come in from out of town and are blissfully unaware of the level of competition for spots at the "elite" privates who got in with no problem.

Long story short, no one is a "sure thing," and no one should think they don't stand a chance (assuming their child meets minimum admissions standards; scores in the desired range, etc...). Just apply and let the chips fall.

I went to a big private in Atlanta, and there were "pedigreed" kids there (big donors' children or alumni children) who were admitted, but some of whom didn't make it all the way through 12th grade. Most of these schools have enough integrity to let a family know if their child is struggling and to help them look for the best setting (I think of that as a kindness, personally).

Old 02-09-2014, 06:30 PM

39 posts, read 133,943 times
Chabang, your post about the Westminster application troubled me, so I pulled up the online application. The actual question on the application is:

Are the applicant’s parents/guardians divorced, separated or otherwise living separately?

I think that you would just reply to this in the negative.

Then, the application asks for information about the parents/guardians separately. If there is no second parent/guardian, I think you could just leave that area blank or just put "N/A"" or "Not Applicable."

I definitely do not believe the fact that your daughter has only one parent will affect her chances for admission. Westminster is a big school with a diverse community made up of many different types of families. The fact that you are a single mom should not deter you from applying. Best wishes to you and your daughter.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:09 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,692,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intownmom View Post
Chabang, your post about the Westminster application troubled me, so I pulled up the online application. The actual question on the application is:

Are the applicant’s parents/guardians divorced, separated or otherwise living separately?
Schools generally ask this as a courtesy so they can send newsletters, solicit donations, etc. from the non custodial parent. I didn't pull up the application, but it might also allow for a second address to be filled in when you check it.

Schools also need to get your legal status to the child. Just because you are the mother or father does not mean you have the legal authority to enroll a child in school.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:31 AM

2,307 posts, read 2,997,685 times
I know a single mom whose adopted child is currently in lower school at Westminster. It is a total non-issue. She actually told me when the child got in that she thought it added interest to her application and was a plus if anything at all.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Would the percentages be comparable at the good public high schools?

I know places like Chattahoochee have about a 60% AP participation rate, although I don't know many are taking multiple courses.

Arjay, I have no idea, but would assume so. I was responding to a discussion about the culture of the private schools in particular.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:36 AM

Good to hear that this doesn't seem to be an issue. However, I still think they should consider somehow being a bit more sensitive and simply providing the option for a parent to check a "single" box. You know?

Now that I think of it, applications that I have seen ask for a "mother" and a "father." They do not generally provide for two mothers or two fathers to be acknowledged as such with a more neutral "parent 1" and "parent 2." How horrible for people completing these forms that have more unique circumstances to not be fully acknowledged on the application.

Quote:
I know a single mom whose adopted child is currently in lower school at Westminster. It is a total non-issue. She actually told me when the child got in that she thought it added interest to her application and was a plus if anything at all.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:47 AM

The admissions forms may not have been updated, but all types of families (same-sex, blended, single etc) are represented at my child's school and I imagine at others as well.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:56 AM

That's great.
Quote:
The admissions forms may not have been updated, but all types of families (same-sex, blended, single etc) are represented at my child's school and I imagine at others as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta