Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 03:29 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,620,764 times

Advertisements

I know y'all have heard me whining about this for a while. I hope it'll be my last post on the subject. We missed the pre-k lottery and all the slots are filled at our nearest elementary school. We are wait-listed there, and at the Kindercare on Chamblee Dunwoody. Is anyone familiar with this particular location? I really don't know what to think. Kindercare back home was a definite no-no, and I can't imagine that their pre-k is any better than their daycare, but I dunno.

I talked to the director and she suggested another location. She suggested some off Peachtree Industrial in Chamblee. I haven't explored those yet, and don't have any names. She also suggested that I try Fulton county.

I mainly had my son in pre-k for socialization, though I really liked the structured environment at his previous pre-k at a church. They had three hundred kids in that place and you would never have known it! I really loved that program. Unfortunately, anything similar here costs three to four times as much and we can't afford it.

To be honest, I haven't heard good things about GA pre-k period, but thought that the one at Kingsley might be a good fit. I don't want him to be in a place where they're basically baby-sitting. He likes to learn and needs to be in a positive learning environment so he'll get a good start for kindergarten.

I'm thinking I might be better just keeping him at home, but then comes the question as to socialization. I've checked all the mom groups and it seems they're all for younger children. Presumably everyone sends their four year olds to some level of pre-k. So he'd be stuck with me all day and that's not a good plan for a kid his age.

Any direction, suggestions of schools to check out would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 07:59 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,662,983 times
GA Pre-K is fairly closely regulated and monitored. BUT (isn't there always one) the "curriculum" of GA Pre-K is based on the philosophy of school readiness and not actual learning per se.... very reading readiness oriented. That said, some teachers will do more outside the curriculum than others. Schools can and do lose funding for the program from the state so this is a sign that at least someone is paying attention.

Here are some thoughts for you: (I searched this website)
Bright from the Start Provider Search

Ashford Academy is suppose to be very good, it is behind Georgetown shopping center, tucked away kind of hard to find

Winters Chapel Kindergarten & Day Care Center (30360)

Search the following zips:

(watch out for the sites that are clearly real schools)

Hope this helps.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:32 PM

I'll check those out LMM, I got a couple more suggestions on another board, so maybe something will work out.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:59 PM

Winters Chapel is suppose to be wonderful.... No idea if they would have space at this late date

Old 07-26-2008, 09:43 PM

I think we're already on the waitlist at Winter's Chapel. My husband did that one, I remember him being puzzled by all the Japanese kids. He thought he was in the wrong place because he was following my directions! Of course, I still get lost daily.

I think the pre-k classes are taught in English, but I think it would be cool if the little guy picked up some Japanese.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:32 AM

I bet you aren't at the right school -- you may be at Skigawongai (I just totally made that up, no idea how to say or spell the actual name) but it is the Japanese immersion school on Winters Chapel. Call Winters Chapel tomorrow and make sure. They do have a very diverse population, I believe, but I wonder if your husband went to the wrong school.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:39 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,104,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
GA Pre-K is fairly closely regulated and monitored. BUT (isn't there always one) the "curriculum" of GA Pre-K is based on the philosophy of school readiness and not actual learning per se.... very reading readiness oriented. That said, some teachers will do more outside the curriculum than others. Schools can and do lose funding for the program from the state so this is a sign that at least someone is paying attention.
I am not a fan of GA Pre-K for the emphasis on school readiness rather than academic learning. It is the same reason that I am not a fan of NAEYC accreditation, where the focus is on socialization as well as what seems to be a "let's not challenge the kids too much so the slower kids won't feel bad" philosophy. My kid went to a private pre-k where they emphasized phonics, the "handwriting without tears" program, and other academic skills in addition to the socialization.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:32 AM

This is the link for the school the lady who is over pre-k for Dekalb gave me. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the wrong one. I saw another one called Segaikuin (sp), I'm not sure what it is, but I did go there accidentally but I know it's the wrong school. I wonder if there's yet another school on Winter's Chapel (so confusing.)

ƒEƒCƒ“ƒ^[ƒXƒ`ƒƒƒyƒ‹—c’t‰€E•Ûˆç‰€ @ƒAƒgƒ‰ƒ“ƒ^@WINTERS CHAPEL KINDERGARTEN & DAY CARE CENTER ATLANTA

Old 07-27-2008, 09:27 AM

Actually, I may have the wrong one then... I am thinking of Winters chapel United Methodist Church...sorry, I think I am confused!

Old 07-27-2008, 10:35 AM

Yes, I've heard that they have a great pre-school at the United Methodist preschool. It's all very confusing, but I'm gradually wading my way through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta