Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 08:50 AM

196 posts, read 777,700 times

Advertisements

It has started

We are considering moving to Atlanta. As with relocations, there are so many things to consider. I hope we can better prepare for it with the sharing here on city data forum.

First thing on my mind is the school choice. My kids are rising 6th and 8th graders.
We have in mind Lovett and Westminster (would like Woodward but it is too far). From what I could gleam from the websites, I find them similar in many ways - curriculum, althletics, facilities, etc.
Any comments on Lovett and Westminster? Any comment on the school/curriculum/teachers/culture/application process is very very welcome and much appreciated!

Also, all applicants have to take the SSATs. My kids have never taken SSATs before. Before I go out and order study guides, I would like to know how big a part SSAT scores play in the application? Is it cut throat competitve, in which case we need to invest more time (in addition to their current school work) ? Or is it more like "cross the bar and they look at other things -transcripts, references, etc"? My kids take MAP every year, they consistently score 95-99 percentile. I know MAP and SSAT are not the same, not sure if I should get worried, but being prepared is always good.

I know I sound like a long winded worrywart Thanks in advance for all the responses. Appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 09:58 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,671,834 times
For those schools, 8th grade will be difficult because it isn't an entry year. Sixth grade is at least an expansion year, so that makes it a bit easier.

Before answering the rest of your concerns, are your children currently in private school, one that is considered top tier?

Old 10-01-2012, 10:07 AM

616 posts, read 1,114,241 times
Those are two of the top (if not the top) two private schools in Atlanta. I hope you know somebody with connections, because, while test scores are not irrelevant, in the end admission to these schools is not about how smart or well spoken your kids are. If they are already at a prestigious private school (as posted) and that school can pull strings that will help.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post

Before answering the rest of your concerns, are your children currently in private school, one that is considered top tier?
My husband is currently posted out of country. We are in an International School - not sure if International Schools are "graded" in a way that makes comparisons possible. But the kids are definitely a very cross-cultural bunch, if that is any advantage!

Old 10-01-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 feet tall View Post
Those are two of the top (if not the top) two private schools in Atlanta. I hope you know somebody with connections, because, while test scores are not irrelevant, in the end admission to these schools is not about how smart or well spoken your kids are. If they are already at a prestigious private school (as posted) and that school can pull strings that will help.
No strings or connections whatsoever.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:18 AM

We do have Atlanta International School here.

The reason I asked is because top Private School leaders (principals, headmasters/mistresses, etc) tend to know each other and can make helpful phone calls.

Yes, the SSAT matters. How much? It is hard to tell. Private schools consider their admission policies, procedures, etc proprietary and don't share much info.

You will need more than 2 schools on your list. For the 8th grader, things could be particularly challenging, though they certainly won't be easy for your 6th grader. Would you consider AIS?

Depending where you plan on living in the metro area, Woodward might not be too far. Why is Pace not on your list?

Old 10-01-2012, 10:26 AM

We are planning on living in Marietta. The thought of travelling 45 min (or more) and through the city everyday for school (Woodward) is not very appealing to me, and it tires out the kids.
I have not looked at AIS yet. Any feedback on AIS? Is there much difference between AIS and private schools?
As or Pace, I am sure it has its niche. My cursory comparison of the curriculum offered seems to indicate that the other 3 schools have more variety in terms of electives and honors subjects. I may be wrong though

Old 10-01-2012, 10:47 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,407,750 times
Here is a link to a site that lists all of the top-rated Atlanta private schools: A glance at some of the city's best private schools: Atlanta prep | Encore Atlanta: Atlanta's Performing Arts Publication My children attend Westminster. Other than the expense ($20k+ for high school) and the not-so-subtle religious affiliation (your children will take Old and New Testament, regardless of whether they are Christian), we have been very happy (but, we knew those two things going in so I really cannot object). The campus is beautiful, the facilitites are on par with universities and the school is consistently considered one of the best preparatory schools around. Lovett is also a fine school.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:49 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,865,544 times
If you're going to live in Marietta, you might consider adding The Walker School, Whitefield Academy, and Holy Innocents' Episcopal School to your list. The number of openings in grades 6 and 8 at the two schools you mentioned could be easily filled with siblings alone. Unless you're willing to consider public school as Plan B, you'll need to cast a wider net.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
If you're going to live in Marietta, you might consider adding The Walker School, Whitefield Academy, and Holy Innocents' Episcopal School to your list. The number of openings in grades 6 and 8 at the two schools you mentioned could be easily filled with siblings alone. Unless you're willing to consider public school as Plan B, you'll need to cast a wider net.
This is good advice. The odds aren't in your favor.

By the way, I wouldn't think of Pace as a niche school at all. In fact, I believe its academics rival Lovett. (And I have no affiliation with Pace, except for friends whose children are students there or were students there.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta