Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 09:09 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,142,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Wake up.
That's right "Wake up!" full sentence: "Wake up... and take out country back!"

Old 08-23-2012, 09:52 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,108,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
That's right "Wake up!" full sentence: "Wake up... and take out country back!"
Sounds like a plan to me.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:44 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,142,497 times
It is a plan. It's called the "Southern Strategy"

Old 08-23-2012, 11:07 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,865,336 times
You know what is racist about this blog? The very fact that I, being white, am considered guilty of all the crimes and injustices listed here as done by "whites."

Aries, I have done NONE of the things listed in this list, neither have any in my family tree that I can find. We come from a line of teachers and preachers and small scale farmers. No one in my lineage has ever controlled a bank, a school, a government institution of any kind... right down to the fashion industry. I have found no reference in the family tree of any slave owners even though most were farmers.

My Baptist preacher grandfather was considered a champion of Civil rights long before it became cool to be considered such. He made allegiances with black churches and pastors in Meriwether County, hardly a bastion of progressive thinking and helped many young black men go to higher education in a system that at the time was pushing against their being able to escape from the grasp of poverty.

If we are going to continue to hold a 100 year old view of racial politics, we will never, ever move past our past.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:25 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,040,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
You know what is racist about this blog? The very fact that I, being white, am considered guilty of all the crimes and injustices listed here as done by "whites."

Aries, I have done NONE of the things listed in this list, neither have any in my family tree that I can find. We come from a line of teachers and preachers and small scale farmers. No one in my lineage has ever controlled a bank, a school, a government institution of any kind... right down to the fashion industry. I have found no reference in the family tree of any slave owners even though most were farmers.

My Baptist preacher grandfather was considered a champion of Civil rights long before it became cool to be considered such. He made allegiances with black churches and pastors in Meriwether County, hardly a bastion of progressive thinking and helped many young black men go to higher education in a system that at the time was pushing against their being able to escape from the grasp of poverty.

If we are going to continue to hold a 100 year old view of racial politics, we will never, ever move past our past.
Excellent post!

Old 08-23-2012, 11:34 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,244,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
While this may be true, in the performing arts, people should and are selected by merit, not "fairness" in spreading opportunity around. With a school play, I would hope that the best actors get selected, not those who never got a chance previously (because other people were cast who were considered to be better). And of course, in the bigger world beyond high school, whether in orchestras, rock bands, dance troupes, films, etc., people are selected who are considered the best.

The linked article notes:

The ASO has a long tradition of performing with amateur groups, including the Atlanta Boy Choir and glee clubs at Spelman and Morehouse colleges.

So----if they aren't severing their relationship with Spelman and Morehouse colleges to rotate the opportunity to other schools (Emory? Georgia State?), then why do the high schools need rotation?
If only the highlighted were always true...one would hope so, but it is more often than not untrue. Its like the rotation of a house band for example...they may want a change in that manner. Those two schools cannot forever be the house band per se. Is/was there a competition to garner the spots? If not then they can change whenever they want to. If they want to promote diversity in that manner then so be it. It should not come as a slpa in the face to the two schools whom had a few years run at it. To be truly fair, have sing offs; but then the judging can be subjective leading to another thread as this. I personally do not see a problem; seems the issue is that they want to promote diversity in the classical arts by doing what they are doing and that has ruffled some feathers.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:31 PM

16,702 posts, read 29,537,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post

Brother Marks--

Read these:

The “not all whites” argument « Abagond

Last edited by aries4118; 08-23-2012 at 01:50 PM..

Old 08-23-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post

And then this:

White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack by Peggy McIntosh

Old 08-23-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post

Then--

Watch this:

Tim Wise: On White Privilege (Clip) - YouTube

Old 08-23-2012, 01:58 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,108,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
"No you grow up" Really?

I did not say that other forms of racism don't exist. However, the contrived AM radio fueled white as victims (in manner to seriously minimize the horrific acts against blacks) is quite common and exploited.
Yeah, really. Is it only OK for you to say that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta