Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 08:53 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,307,587 times

Advertisements

Because I know, that's how.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
And you know this how?

Old 08-19-2012, 08:56 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
I have seen them perform with Emory before. I am not sure GA State has a strong choral program, as the state's strongest college level musical education program is at Columbus State, I believe.

I would approach your question differently, why in the world would they work with the same high school choral programs more than once. It would benefit the symphony more to have more exposure in different communities. Do you really believe those two programs are the only strong choral programs in the metro area?

We regularly attend the symphony programs, especially the family ones. The amateur groups vary from year to year.
Sorry I couldn't rep you for this.
Makes complete sense on all levels.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:04 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Because I know, that's how.
Very scientific.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:18 AM

Thank you.

I always strive for the highest level of deductive analyses in coming to my final decisions.

It's a special craft of mines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Very scientific.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:26 AM

3 posts, read 3,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I majored in music, voice in fact. It was a rigorous classical training. I have taken that degree and have used it primarily in church music work. None of the churches I have served have had a classical leaning, most have run more contemporary, some have had a more gospel choir feel.

Gospel choir is more energetic for sure, but most are not classically trained. Most gospel choir members learn a basic three part arrangement by rote, usually a section leader just "hears" the part and teaches it to the rest of his/her section. Tenors usually find a harmony line a third or fourth above the melody line, the altos follow a harmony line under the melody, sopranos usually hold the melody. Most gospel choir members cannot read music.

The type of choral work that would involve singing with the ASO would require a much more technical ability to read choral music, be able to sight read, will have counterparts and parts moving against parts, not just a natural harmonization against a melody. The parts cannot be learned by rote. Not saying it is better, but it does require more skill.

Popular music (of any era) is usually much, much simpler than classical. A matter of taste, but a number of rocking gospel choirs would not be able to handle the stricter guidelines a chorus that sings with a major Symphony Orchestra would require.

I don't think Acidsnake will respond to these facts and logic. He seems to be talking out of his butt about a topic he apparently has no expertise in.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:28 AM

Heh.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:29 AM

3 posts, read 3,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Thank you.

I always strive for the highest level of deductive analyses in coming to my final decisions.

It's a special craft of mines.
Then why not address this point. You seemed to ignore it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I majored in music, voice in fact. It was a rigorous classical training. I have taken that degree and have used it primarily in church music work. None of the churches I have served have had a classical leaning, most have run more contemporary, some have had a more gospel choir feel.

Gospel choir is more energetic for sure, but most are not classically trained. Most gospel choir members learn a basic three part arrangement by rote, usually a section leader just "hears" the part and teaches it to the rest of his/her section. Tenors usually find a harmony line a third or fourth above the melody line, the altos follow a harmony line under the melody, sopranos usually hold the melody. Most gospel choir members cannot read music.

The type of choral work that would involve singing with the ASO would require a much more technical ability to read choral music, be able to sight read, will have counterparts and parts moving against parts, not just a natural harmonization against a melody. The parts cannot be learned by rote. Not saying it is better, but it does require more skill.

Popular music (of any era) is usually much, much simpler than classical. A matter of taste, but a number of rocking gospel choirs would not be able to handle the stricter guidelines a chorus that sings with a major Symphony Orchestra would require.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:00 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,618,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
I have seen them perform with Emory before. I am not sure GA State has a strong choral program, as the state's strongest college level musical education program is at Columbus State, I believe.

I would approach your question differently, why in the world would they work with the same high school choral programs more than once. It would benefit the symphony more to have more exposure in different communities. Do you really believe those two programs are the only strong choral programs in the metro area?

We regularly attend the symphony programs, especially the family ones. The amateur groups vary from year to year.
That would be my question as well. Why on earth in a city this size would they have limited it to just two schools in the first place? My guess is with popularity of shows like Glee, choral programs are probably hotter than the hinges of hell right now. If their purpose is to grow their audience I would think they'd be all over it. The fact that they've done such limited outreach just serms bizarre to me. It's not a question of diversity. It's just common sense.

Old 08-19-2012, 12:40 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
It looks like the ASO management has a vote of no confidence from the actual performers:

Atlanta Symphony Musicians Offer to Perform for Free with Choral Groups - ATL Symphony Musicians

Old 08-19-2012, 01:13 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,854,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
It looks like the ASO management has a vote of no confidence from the actual performers:

Atlanta Symphony Musicians Offer to Perform for Free with Choral Groups - ATL Symphony Musicians
Common sense and a true sense of community are still alive, thank the Lord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta