Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2013, 09:40 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,747,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
They'll be there standing next to the preaching crowd as visitors walk in.
Right!!!
they'll be right there, suddenly acting like "look at us and how nice our new stadium is"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 11:19 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,969,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
To all those who keep saying "let him pay for it..."
When he does (like he IS) and it gets built (hopefully), y'all don't show up... EVER.......
Quote:
I love my city (Atlanta) but the whining/anti progress people make me sick...
It just astonishes me how things that work almost everywhere else, hardly every works for Atlanta, cause the people are NEVER satisfied. Unless the project has an IMMEDIATE put cash in my pocket result, they want to complain and vote "no." And the result is nothing ever changes, cause what they really want is unrealistic. Just never satisfied...

Okay, I may be exaggerating a little, but it's out of frustration with the people just to express the feeling.
No, you're COMPLETELY right! I was beginning to think I was the only one feeling this way...

Just a bunch of never-satisfied whiners!

Old 05-03-2013, 11:38 AM

1,164 posts, read 1,269,031 times
Quote:
I love my city (Atlanta) but the whining/anti progress people make me sick...
It just astonishes me how things that work almost everywhere else, hardly every works for Atlanta, cause the people are NEVER satisfied.
It's the Concerned Citizens Against Everything, and they're in every city. They're drawn to stadium projects like flies on...cupcakes. I was living in Houston and Minneapolis for their ballpark deals (baseball), and they generated the same impotent rage. Nothing unique about Atlanta, in that respect.

Truth is, these stadiums (and pro teams in general) are city amenities. Like all city amenities, people who don't care about them and won't use them don't want to spend any money on them, and that's as much thought as their willing to commit to the issue.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:55 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,337,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
Truth is, these stadiums (and pro teams in general) are city amenities. Like all city amenities, people who don't care about them and won't use them don't want to spend any money on them, and that's as much thought as their willing to commit to the issue.
You're making an overly simplified statement while accusing others of being simpletons.

Let's not pretend that's the only demographic that was opposed to the stadium. My next door neighbor is as rabid a Falcons fan as you'll ever meet, and he is opposed to the new stadium. Believe it or not, there are a lot of people who fit that description.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:01 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,066,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
You're making an overly simplified statement while accusing others of being simpletons.

Let's not pretend that's the only demographic that was opposed to the stadium. My next door neighbor is as rabid a Falcons fan as you'll ever meet, and he is opposed to the new stadium. Believe it or not, there are a lot of people who fit that description.
A lot? Maybe, but it apparently is still a small minority.

I agree with Cameron H's post. It seems like people that have no interest in football are the loudest opposition and they are looking for anything they can find to complain about. The fact is that this stadium will uproot very few people and infringe very little on the surrounding neighborhood. It will cost a lot, but taxpayers won't be paying for it. None of this really matters...it is going to be built.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I didn't mean to suggest that everyone who opposes the stadium is a Concerned Citizen Against Everything. Clearly that's not the case. They are the loudest and most persistent whiners, though, and I just wanted to point out that they are in every city.

Also, I'm agnostic on the question of whether or not they are simpletons.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:30 PM

32,036 posts, read 36,917,793 times
Quote:
It's the Concerned Citizens Against Everything, and they're in every city. They're drawn to stadium projects like flies on...cupcakes. I was living in Houston and Minneapolis for their ballpark deals (baseball), and they generated the same impotent rage. Nothing unique about Atlanta, in that respect.
Oddly enough, I haven't heard anyone in Atlanta blindly raging against this stadium.

On the other hand, I have heard some important questions about it raised.

It's like any other major project -- you can't intelligently discuss them from an extreme point of view. Those who dismiss all reservations as nonsense are just as silly as those who oppose everything. The devil is always in the details.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Oddly enough, I haven't heard anyone in Atlanta blindly raging against this stadium.
You're not very familiar with NFL stadiums, either, and yet they exist.

Quote:
On the other hand, I have heard some important questions about it raised.
Sure, fine. Just between you and me: Your concern trolling about "environmental justice" doesn't count.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
A lot? Maybe, but it apparently is still a small minority [who oppose the stadium].
How do we know that?

The only polls I heard about showed a large majority of people against it.
Amid stiff public resistance to partial public funding of a new Atlanta Falcons stadium, top state leaders say the team needs a better game plan if it expects to win crucial legislative support this winter.

“It’s hard to get lawmakers to vote for something that’s polling 70-to-30 no,” Gov. Nathan Deal told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “They need to directly communicate with the public. Either way the public attitude has to be significantly changed from where it is now.”

Some lawmakers suggest a vote to allow about $300 million in Atlanta hotel tax collections to be devoted to the proposed $1 billion retractable-roof stadium couldn’t go forward if they listened to constituents’ concerns.

“Members of the governor’s party — tea partiers and moderate Republicans — are not going to go for it,” said state Sen. Vincent Fort, D-Atlanta, an outspoken critic of the proposal.

A new statewide poll conducted by the AJC showed 72 percent of respondents either opposed or strongly opposed using hotel/motel tax collections in Atlanta and unincorporated Fulton County to help finance construction.

That follows a July 2012 poll that found 67 percent of metro Atlanta residents were against that idea.

Falcons stadium will be a hard sell, legislators say | www.ajc.com

Old 05-03-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
You're not very familiar with NFL stadiums, either, and yet they exist.
Sorry, I'm not following you. I've been to several NFL stadiums but don't consider myself an expert on the subject.

But what does that have to do with whether they exist?

Quote:
Sure, fine. Just between you and me: Your concern trolling about "environmental justice" doesn't count.
And that is because your interests are not at stake?

Or simply because you have the power to decide what's important and what's not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta