Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2011, 08:22 AM

6 posts, read 12,766 times

Advertisements

Myself and my good friend are seriously considering moving to the south, and I'm wondering if people think Atlanta will be a good fit for us.
We are both new grad nurses and jobs in the North East are terrible right now.
We are both Pediatric-oriented, so a job at a Pedi hospital would be great, but we're willing to work elsewhere first. (Children's Healthcare of Atlanta is our number one choice)

Budget- since there is 2 of us, we're thinking we can afford up to $1000-1200/month, but it looks like apartments are generally lower than that in some areas. We just need 2 bedrooms, everything else is negotiable.

House/Condo/Townhome?: Looking to rent. Probably an apartment is best.

MARTA accessibility would be nice, or somewhere that the driving commute to the hospital wouldn't be awful.

Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two: We're flexible. Safety is a priority obviously, but if there is a nice urban area with affordable housing, we would be open to that. If there is a suburb that we could commute from easily, that would be great too.

I've head good things about Decatur, Marietta, and Alpharetta. How do you think those would work for us?

Thank you so much in advance! I'm hoping this will be a good thing for us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 08:36 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,643,924 times
Atlanta is going through some tough times just as every other city in America; however, I think you would still be able to find a job in the healthcare industry in Atlanta since that industry is going nowhere anytime soon.

I would recommend that you relocate or consider the Sandy Springs area or even the city of Atlanta (Midtown, Downtown, or Buckhead areas). There a ton of healthcare facilities in Sandy Springs (Sandy Springs GA Medical) and there is a Children's Healhcare hospital in the area (http://www.choa.org/About-Childrens/...-Scottish-Rite). There are three total in the Atlanta area:

OurHospitals

Children's at Egleston Located on the Emory University campus, Children's at Egleston offers many services including an Emergency department and cardiac and transplant centers.

Children's at Hughes Spalding Located in downtown Atlanta, Children's at Hughes Spalding features 24-hour emergency care, an in-patient unit, radiology services, and specialty care outpatient areas among its pediatric services.

Children's at Scottish Rite Located near Northside Hospital and St. Joseph's Hospital, Children's at Scottish Rite offers services including an Emergency department and a comprehensive inpatient rehabilitation unit. *****This is the Sandy Springs location*****

Everyone is starting to realize that it is beneficial to live close to your
job here.

In addition, Sandy Springs has access to MARTA rail service (MARTA > Schedules And Maps > Rail Schedules or Route) which is a plus in itself. MARTA can take you to Buckhead, the city of Atlanta and directly to the airport if needed. It may not sound like a plus, but when you experience the traffic here you will be glad you live close to a MARTA station.

Last edited by BeyondInfinity; 12-08-2011 at 09:42 AM..

Old 12-08-2011, 09:23 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,420,153 times
Katie, Alpharetta , Marietta are suburbs and dont think you would like that as you would have to commute.
Decuater is a cool little area intown but dont think there are any hospital faciilies in that area.
I would go with the previous posters recommendations.
Btw-you should work on your grammar.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:32 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,643,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
Katie, Alpharetta , Marietta are suburbs and dont think you would like that as you would have to commute.
Decuater is a cool little area intown but dont think there are any hospital faciilies in that area.
That is not very nice and who are you to judge others? I understood the post and obviously so did you.

Finally, you spelled Decatur wrong.......just saying!

Old 12-08-2011, 09:47 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Actually, there are several large hospitals in/near Decatur. DeKalb Medical Center, the VA Medical Center and Childrens at Egleston.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
I'm aware that they are suburbs. My post indicated that I was flexible to in-city or suburbs. I do not appreciate your comment about my grammar, I was following the suggestions of this thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...ead-first.html which is why my post isn't very fluid.
I feel like your comment was entirely unnecessary for you to just say to listen to the previous posters.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondInfinity View Post
Atlanta is going through some tough times just as every other city in America; however, I think you would still be able to find a job in the healthcare industry in Atlanta since that industry is going nowhere anytime soon.

I would recommend that you relocate or consider the Sandy Springs area or even the city of Atlanta (Midtown, Downtown, or Buckhead areas). There a ton of healthcare facilities in Sandy Springs (Sandy Springs GA Medical) and there is a Children's Healhcare hospital in the area (Childrens Healthcare of Atlanta at Scottish Rite - Children's Healthcare of Atlanta). There are three total in the Atlanta area:

OurHospitals

Children's at Egleston Located on the Emory University campus, Children's at Egleston offers many services including an Emergency department and cardiac and transplant centers.

Children's at Hughes Spalding Located in downtown Atlanta, Children's at Hughes Spalding features 24-hour emergency care, an in-patient unit, radiology services, and specialty care outpatient areas among its pediatric services.

Children's at Scottish Rite Located near Northside Hospital and St. Joseph's Hospital, Children's at Scottish Rite offers services including an Emergency department and a comprehensive inpatient rehabilitation unit. *****This is the Sandy Springs location*****

Everyone is starting to realize that it is beneficial to live close to your
job here.

In addition, Sandy Springs has access to MARTA rail service (MARTA > Schedules And Maps > Rail Schedules or Route) which is a plus in itself. MARTA can take you to Buckhead, the city of Atlanta and directly to the airport if needed. It may not sound like a plus, but when you experience the traffic here you will be glad you live close to a MARTA station.
Thank you so much! That helps tremendously! Yeah, I like the idea of being close to MARTA. I live near Boston right now, and I would never go anywhere if it weren't for the "T"

Old 12-08-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Actually, there are several large hospitals in/near Decatur. DeKalb Medical Center, the VA Medical Center and Childrens at Egleston.
Thanks! I'll look into those

Old 12-09-2011, 01:58 AM

37 posts, read 62,359 times
I MISS living down there! I hate it here in St. Louis, this place is such a drag on one's mood and outlook, blech. I miss Atlanta and the large atmosphere and things to do. Plus the weather is so much better overall. ATL BABY!

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd383/CamaroIROC88Z/ThroughDowntownAtlantaInTheDaytime-04-06-096.jpg (broken link)

Old 12-09-2011, 05:41 AM

749 posts, read 886,889 times
^^ Poor Westin building - Didn't have all of its windows replaced yet

This might be of some help - Wikipedia has a list of hospitals in Georgia and you can sort on the city name. They also tell you which ones are ped.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ia_(U.S._state)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta